Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can someone please advise!

I have recently bought an A1 1.4 TFSI, on a 2012 plate.

The problem is when driving the car it sound's really heavy making a loud continual grinding noise. It never starts first time and takes a lot of key turning, attempts particularly when starting it first time. Then it start ok after that.

But more worryingly when I stop at traffic lights or a give way and put it into first gear, to move off it feels like the car is suffocating and cuts out.

It can take a while for it to start again. This is happening a lot more now and is becoming a real stress. I took it to a garage as the engine management code 1025 came up not sure what that is. But the mechanics did mention something about spark plugs and air sensors, breather valve as well as host of other things. I took it to another place and he suggested it was a faulty catalyst converter, coil, Fuel pump.

I then went to a third place and was told it was likely a fuel pump failure or issue, clogged fuel filter, injection problem, blocked hose, blocked EGR Valve, electric circuit, or combustion problems!

That's a hefty list of potentials, I simply cannot afford to go to Audi, but am scared that this endless list of possible problems, it's going to cost me a fortune.

I'm struggling at the moment so wondered if anyone has had similar issues and perhaps could help with some advice on this just so I can narrow it down.

Otherwise the mechanics will just replace each part until it's sorted, by trial and error.

Like I say, I'd be obliged for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
2014 A1 Sportback 1.4 TFSI Contrast Line +
74 Posts
Welcome, but please do not post the same question in multiple places. It makes it hard to track responses.
If anyone wishes to comment, please do so here:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So sorry for the duplication. I bought it privately and unfortunately there's no warranty now.

The engine management code is 1025 but I'm unsure what that means, each mechanic has a different interpretation.

I was hoping that I could narrow this down, so u didn't get ripped off.

I really appreciate your response and help, if anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

·
Super Moderator
74 Posts
Have a look here:
Probably the oxygen sensor so should be a fairly cheap and quick fix;
you need to find a better mechanic/technician with specific Audit diagnostic computer/software

·
Super Moderator
74 Posts
I'm not sure what is meant by an "air sensor".... that could be a "MAF" (mass airflow sensor), air temperature sensor or something else. The oxygen sensor usually sits in the exhaust pipe and gives feedback on the amount of oxygen, indicating how "good" the combustion is in the cylinders and providing info used by the ECU to determine the amount of fuel needed to be injected.... hence if this info is wrong, combustion and the running of the engine can be seriously affected, which could explain your poor starting performance, bad running etc.

However a blocked or collapsed catalytic converter can also result in some interesting running issues, but that should be easy to check - remove the cat and check airflow through it (garage job). Also when were the spark plugs last changed? From memory it should be every 40,000 miles or thereabouts (this is about the mileage my daughter's A1 has covered and I'm pretty sure that the plugs need changing very soon)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks for your detailed response, by reading the symptoms of a faulty oxygen sensor it may well be that. Particularly the shuddering and suffocating when setting off, as well as increased fuel consumption. I didn't realise there were so many sensors MAF, (mass airflow sensor) air temperature sensor etc

I'll ask for the catalytic converter to be checked too whilst at the garage.

In regards to the plugs these were changed at the last service, which was around 12000 miles, so should be ok. But will get them checked in case of faulty wiring/ fitting.

Thanks again for your help, I am getting a rich petrol smell in the car occasionally but I'm assuming that could be part of the oxygen sensor problem?

·
Super Moderator
74 Posts
^
Could be - and in that case definitely worth having the spark plugs taken out and examined as this will give a clue as to whether or not the car has been running rich or lean (too much or too little fuel). If they are not too bad the garage should be able t o clean them up and re-gap them, save paying for new plugs again. Mind you, I don't know if garages clean plugs any more, or how many "technicians" know how to check and re-gap plugs......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts