Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave my a1 its first real wash today using a lambswool washmitt, two bucket method and a very plush drying towel.

I noticed a few minor very fine scratches and a little marring (not swirls) on the roof, spoiler and another one on one of the wheel arches. These are obviously from the initial dealer valet and hardly noticeable but i am a perfectionist when it comes to cleaning my car and they bug me.

I could easily get some of these rectified but do you think its worth mentioning to the dealer and letting them sort them with a machine polisher (thats all they need) or do you think this isn't worth the risk?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
CrazyCatLady just told me......you need to get rid of your A1 and/or any other vehicle you own and get a bike. You got issues Mate! :lol:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would do it myself.

If you are such a perfectionist noone will ever do as good a job as you.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Too late I think, should have picjed that up on delivery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am also a perfectionist and would do it myself as the dealer will never do the work to your satisfaction. I also agree with Jae that it is too late to take it up with the dealer as you did not spot this at hand over and have now cleaned the car.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jae said:
Too late I think, should have picjed that up on delivery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't get the chance as it was raining heavily when i picked it up and then again for 4 straight days after!

It just really annoys me that the dealers don't put more effort into how they prepare their cars. Washing a brand new car with a sponge and drying with a chamois (that has probably been used on 10 cars before they do yours) is not the best practise and will cause immediate damage.

New car prep should be done with techniques learn't from professional detailers and not mass market valeters were speed is the priority not car care.

You expect more from a top brand like Audi.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You are absolutely right vipefire. Unfortunately, my experience is that dealers are only interested in what is cost effective. Even Audi do not always deliver the service they would like to think that their dealer do.

My wife runs a Nissan Xtrail and I have to say that the build quality and reliability over 3 years and 40,000 miles has been amazing and the Exeter dealership put Audi to shame for the customer service and quality of work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have a phantom black A1
i also am fussy as hell and light scratches show up really easily i also noticed it when i collected my car
however i took mine back and demanded they polish it and sort out the marks,
after all you spend 20grand on a motor you dont want it coming to you damaged:
get them to sort it. :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
I find it imposible to stop light scratches showing on a darker shade of metalic paint.I had a blue mondeo and it was covered in marks even a touch with a fingernail would make a scratch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
collected my car after so called repair yesterday,
they valeted the car however didnt polish out the scratches,
had a Moan and then left it with dealer went back and it was done,
cleaning the car even with the two bucket technique is fine but it seems impossible to stop getting any kind of light scratches to now show up on the laquer,
i got all the kit for cleaning but it seems the dust sticks to the paint work even after washing it down i guess its a very long slow process to clean black cars, the issue is always when you see the swirl marks in the sunlight drives me mad :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Loco said:
collected my car after so called repair yesterday,
they valeted the car however didnt polish out the scratches,
had a Moan and then left it with dealer went back and it was done,
cleaning the car even with the two bucket technique is fine but it seems impossible to stop getting any kind of light scratches to now show up on the laquer,
i got all the kit for cleaning but it seems the dust sticks to the paint work even after washing it down i guess its a very long slow process to clean black cars, the issue is always when you see the swirl marks in the sunlight drives me mad :D
Unfortunatel that has always been the problem with black cars - someone in the trade told me years ago that black paint never fully hardens because of the pigment in the paint, and it is also softer???? Don't know how true that was or is but there you go. I only ever had one black car, and always said never again.

Mark

·
Registered
84 Posts
The up side to having a "softer" paint.................less stone chips.

Both my 2 previous cars were red and both had lifeshine.
I am convinced that the lifeshine made the paint even harder and as a result both chipped.
The golf in particular suffered very badly.

So if it is true that black is "softer" then great!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.