Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone who has received their car specified the Luggage Package? I seem to remember the preview cars had this and that there were two levels for the boot floor.

On mine there is a lot of room under the boot load floor and you can lower it to give more boot space but the load floor balances on the battery cover so isn't stable. Was wondering if it is any different with the "storage compartment under load floor" part of the Luggage Package.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My battery is in the boot, so I have no spare wheel.

The boot floor is completely removable (great to clean it, actually), and as it can be removed it can be placed either in its *correct* position (about 6 inches above the battery) or 6 inches lower (just above the battery).

This second way you gain 6 inches in the boot, but in the correct position you can keep stuff below the boot floor and above the boot floor. I'm finding it to be very useful! :D

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have the 'underfloor storage package' and quite frankly it isn''t worth the money, When the weather improves I'll be looking at the options removing it gives. There will be more space without it but I still don't think it will be possible to lower the boot floor because of the battery.
I am finding the lack of stowage space to one of the major failings of the car - compared with the current Polo that we have too it is dire - the glove box is tiny, the under seat box is tiny, the boot is tiny. On the Polo there is a seperate compartment in the glove box for the car handbook and with that tucked away there is twice as much room as in the A1. The underfloor area of the boot on the Polo is fully trimmed, unlike the A1, it has a spare wheel and you can drop the floor to the lower position.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have the luggage pack and would agree that its not worth the money. I cant lower the floor due to the Bose system as there is a lot of Bose gear in there. Still trying to work out the luggage net, fine stretched over the floor but have not found the hooks to attach the ring on the net to when I want to use it vertically against the back of the seats.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a lot of wasted space under the boot floor. It would make sense to be able to position the boot floor in a lower position if the optional equipment isn't fitted (e.g. Bose, spare wheel). I'm sure the pre production version had this but maybe it had the same stability as current vehicles.

When the weather improves I'm going to look to see if I can add something to improve the stability in the lower position.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I try and put acouple of items in a bag in my boot normally ( 1.5ltr water bottle , torch , gloves etc ) would be good if this type of stuff could be stored underneath in the boot floor so the main boot space can be nice a empty then

·
Registered
166 Posts
I lower the boot floor and gain an extra 6 inches of storage space :)
I don't have the extra wheel or the bose, just the battery, and it is totally stable when I lower it. I can post pictures if you like.

Today I was packing wood sacks in the boot of my A1 and a friend's A3 and he only packed 2 more sacks than I did.

I am actually quite happy with the storage space on the boot when the boot floor is lowered. But I was already expecting a small prohibiting boot, so I guess I am surprised with its actual capacity.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kravi said:
I can post pictures if you like.
Yes please - where I find the boot floor to be unstable when in the lower position is on the right hand side. If you put something there first, the left hand side tips up.

If this is not the same for you can you post photo of the floor in the lower position, then under the floor and also zoom in on the bracket near the base of the seat back (to see if it is different for you) as mine only has one position on it.

You are also in Portugal (I think) so maybe a different spec (SE/Sport/SLine)?

·
Registered
166 Posts
mrfaize, you are completely right :)

The left side does tip up a bit when you put something on the right side first. I hadn't notice that (I was probably too amazed with everything else to notice).
I guess that's not great, but to be honest I don't think it's bad either. If I filled my boot right to the top twice in two days and didn't notice that I have to say it will probably not be an issue for me :)

I will post some pics of the boot either way, so you can see for yourself (had no opportunity today, sorry).

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
This is the boot space without the luggage pack and WITH battery in the boot.

[album]81[/album]
[album]82[/album]

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Does ANYONE knoe how to remove the plastic screw on top of the battery (when you have the Luggage Pack) ?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Jae - that's what I have. Obviously when I saw the pre-production cars I didn't see that the boot floor tips up if loaded on the RHS.

Pity Audi designers didn't think to shape the grey polystyrene tool holder to be a bit taller on the right side to stop it tipping. The extra depth is really useful.

·
Registered
166 Posts
But is it really that much of a problem? :)

I agree with you, they should have thought about it better, but it's not like you can't lower the boot floor because of it.

Or maybe you shouldn't lower the floor at all because the battery needs that free space?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Page 55 of the owner's manual mentions there is a hinged compartment at the front end of the front left seat. Has anybody managed to find this, because the damned thing is eluding me!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Thats part of one of the optional stowage packs - I've got it - drop down door under the front of the passenger seat. Its pretty useless, quite small and you can't see what's in it. Other cars I've had with that its either been a drawer that you can pull out or the stowage is part of the lid and swings out when you open it.

With regard to the boot floor - it seems that its not intended to have 2 positions - there's only one set of supports (the Polo, which uses the same platform but with a front battery has two sets of supports corresponding to the upper and lower positions)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I was clearing out some old IT equipment the other day and found an old laptop bag with some foam spacers to pack out the bag for smaller laptops. They were about to go in the bin when I thought they might just help in the boot when the floor is in the lower position.

So these spacers have velcro which attached to the carpet underside of the boot floor and et voilà problem solved. I can use the boot floor in the lower position if required without it tipping up or rubbing on the top of the battery holder. Useful when loaded up with larger items.

·
Registered
151 Posts
mrfaize said:
So I was clearing out some old IT equipment the other day and found an old laptop bag with some foam spacers to pack out the bag for smaller laptops. They were about to go in the bin when I thought they might just help in the boot when the floor is in the lower position.

So these spacers have velcro which attached to the carpet underside of the boot floor and et voilà problem solved. I can use the boot floor in the lower position if required without it tipping up or rubbing on the top of the battery holder. Useful when loaded up with larger items.
Good idea! I could do that too.

Having said that, I do rather like the two-tier storage arrangement. I have got quite used to flipping up the boot base and chucking things underneath. It's amazing what will fit if you don't have any optional extras under there. For instance, my backpack for my laptop fits easily under there and is a tad more secure for being out of sight. Once the lappy is under there, I can fit a £150 worth of supermarket shopping in the top bit, which suits me fine.

If you normally leave things in your boot which may slide around in transit - the underneath storage is a better place for it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts