Audi A1 Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
anyone know any reputable car cleaning places for a regular clean (i dont have a hose, nor can i get one)? That's not expensive - so no detailing firms lol

Used to go to one off edgeware road which is quiet good, but considering they use a plastic blade to wipe water off... err not for my baby thanks!

EDIT: err in central london :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Have you thought about Shine www.taketheweekendoff.com, they do a gold wash which covers all of the norm for £50 and gets you the paintwork waxed and all glass polished. £95 gets you a platinum wash which covers all of gold and does interior and more. They will come to your house and work place aswell!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad to see there's some detailing geeks on here too :D

I get stuff from a couple of the sites already mentioned and http://www.chemicalguysuk.com/. The citrus wash + gloss they do is awesome and they do good sealants and glazes too. Oh, and their air fresheners are the bee's knees!

G

·
Grant said:
Glad to see there's some detailing geeks on here too :D

I get stuff from a couple of the sites already mentioned and http://www.chemicalguysuk.com/. The citrus wash + gloss they do is awesome and they do good sealants and glazes too. Oh, and their air fresheners are the bee's knees!
Hi Grant,

Good to see another owner who knows how to look after their A1 :)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
New to the keeping your car pristine but ive been searching for hours online and dont have a clue what to go for and what not.

I dont have an endless budget so would like to know what everyone thinks is necessary...say your starting from scratch....what would you buy as essentials?

·
Registered
137 Posts
hello, as a part time detailer, i suppose its down to preference on some things i.e sponges or wash mitts. the only songes which i have ever touched are the dodo juice supernatural wash sponge and the zymol sponge however the zymol one for me is the better. softer in the water and seem be gentler on the finish. my preference is a lambswool wash mitt, for me nothing comes close to the softness on the cars paint when washing so imo there is less likeleyhood of inflicting scratches and swirls. 2 wash mitts, one for the upper half of the vehicle one for the lower and the sills ect. 2 buckets will be needed 1 for the wash solution and one filled with water to rinse the wash media out after you have washed a panel, then go back into the soap solution for the next panel (the 2 bucket method). any old buckets will do to be honest. a decent wheel cleaner i.e espuma revolution which is my choice atm or you could opt for billberry which is a more mild cleaner as well as detailing brushes for the face and an e.z detail brush for the inner of the rims which is probably my best buy, lasted me ages aswell. (start with the wheels and arches and rinse 1 at a time then move onto rinsing the car down before the was to loosen any dirt) all purpose cleaner can be used for the wheel arches, the door shuts( window seals,badges adjitated with detailing brushes are done in the pre wash). drying the car can be a pain if there is no protection laid down. if not then a drying aid can be used, something as simle as demonshine in a spray bottle sprayed on the car then sheet the water off or even put it into a watering can makes the process easier. drying towell will be needed as chamois are really too harsh for the paint i.e valepro drying towels are good, again my choice being the chemical guys wooly mamoth or the uber drying towell, which i highly reccomend.
when the car is dry plastics may be dressed. and tyres. a decent product which can dress plastics, tryes and any trim is carpro perl which can be diluted, great product imo, not too shiny yet not too matte, factory nice finish and when on the tyres it dosent sling onto the paint. exhaust can be done with autosol and 00 grade wire wool if neccessary. waxing polishing, claying, de contaminating you could be here forever talking about as there are so many for different paint types and so many different opinions. but as said before, there are giudes on polished bliss and detailingworld. these are the basics for cleaning your car,

i hope this helps

regards, ian

·
Registered
354 Posts
Cleaning, part chore part pleasure

I thought i had allot of product, but seems i need more. I recently bought some AG Tar remover as it seems my wheels and rear bumper have plenty of tar stains, the stains dont wash off easily with shampoo.

Just to note B&Q were the cheapest I found, and they have t 3 for 2 offer, so it turned out to be a bit of a bargain on the bits I bought.

·
Registered
137 Posts
the AG tar remover is probably the best tar remover you can buy from a non detailing shop. i use autosmart tardis. spray on and wipe off after about 1 minute dwell time just dont scrub at the paint! repeat the process if needed. and then rinse off the residue prior to claying. the contaminants which dont come off by washing you can remove with a clay bar bar. meguiars do one at halfords if i remember correctly in a kit but as u know halfords isnt cheap! use the clay in conjunction with a quick detailer a shampoo in a bottle with water will suffice though!

regards

ian

·
Registered
137 Posts
smartguard or supaguard? i am going to refer to is as supaguard, which in my opinion is only as good as the person who applied it. and the prouct isnt what the dealer states ' you dont have to wash your car / it will guarantee you a showroom finish ect ect all of that is nonsense. ive tested the peoduct myself. it comes in a packet with 'only to be used by trained professionals' on it... to be honest my 7 year old cousin could apply it within 5 minutes of teaching him the correct technique. and it certainly wont take 2-3 hours to apply! the product it comes as a double sided foam applicator one with a more 'coarser' foam side than the other and you have to dampen the foan pad and pierce the inner sachet to let the product run out. however i cut the top off the packet and took the sachet out and squeezed it onto one of my more softer applicators, finished the application on the car (which i stripped all waxes off previously to determine how long it lasted) and there was still enough product to do at least another 2 cars if applied evenly! the only protection which will even come close to lasting 4 years is probably g technics c1 and i dont think that will even last that long! now i dont want you to feel like you got ripped off if you paid for it, although i hope they threw it in with the deal. it wasnt a great beading product, like a wax but it did lay down SOME protection. people who have had the application at the dealerships most probably wow at it because they pay top dollar for it. i cant comment on the depth of gloss because i didnt see a change as its more of a sealant type product, sheeting the water rather than tight beads a wax will produce. however in normal brtish weather the application lasted me about a month however that was with washing the car twice a week really putting it to the test. in my opinion i cant believe that dealershis are selling this at the prices they do! you can get a full detail for that price with better protection. the sprays, i cant comment on because i have not used.

i hope this helps

ian

21 - 32 of 32 Posts