Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good to hear that the 2nd attempt has been positive.

Could you please keep us posted over the next few days, and maybe also let us know what did you do differently this time to stop the error message from appearing. Thanks....

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I will keep you updated. I typed out what I did different this time and the recommendations I received from the people at AutoLEDShop. I had this long post typed out and I guess I hit a wrong button on the keygoard and voila computer screen went back to previous screen. I lost everything I previously typed. :oops: I'll get it typed out later today....hopefully. ;)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheekychappie said:
Looks nice, am I right in thinking the new 2012 models have that as standard?
I'm not sure if the 2012 model will have these as standard. But, if they do, I'm not sure they are as bright as the AutoLEDShop LED's. Mine have 24 LED's per light and are Super White (7000k). :D

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kennyshane84 said:
Could someone post up how we could remove the original light units? they are really tight!
1. Use a screwdriver that is in good nick.
2. Insert it into the slot on the OEM light unit.
3. Ok this is a two handed operation....While pushing the screwdriver inward (with a constant slight pressure), use your other hand on the screwdriver and push the light unit to the opposite end on the light unit and......use a slight prying movement to release the inner spring latch (All this must be done in one fluid motion).
4. The OEM light unit is released.
5. Release the electrical contact clip.....job's done. ;)

·
Registered
574 Posts
BigDeuce451 said:
I reinstalled these LED units with the help from Ash Chikhlia at AutoLEDShop. These LED units display no error codes.

I'm really pleased with these LED's. :D

http://www.autoledshop.com/enlarge.php?topid=1000&cid=722&pid=194
these look the same as the ones i got ,but the resistors looks like metal on yours? mines was small plastic ones that rattled on the inside of the boot,can you remember what they told you to get them to work rite?

·
Registered
62 Posts
BigDeuce451 said:
kennyshane84 said:
Could someone post up how we could remove the original light units? they are really tight!
3. Ok this is a two handed operation....While pushing the screwdriver inward (with a constant slight pressure), use your other hand on the screwdriver and push the light unit to the opposite end on the light unit and......use a slight prying movement to release the inner spring latch (All this must be done in one fluid motion).
Or just look in the A1 manual for instructions on how to remove them...
As regards stopping all the rattling in the tailgate interior once you've installed; I wrapped the resistor and wiring loom in computer peripheral packing foam with just enough exposed so that it does not overheat. This does the job and there's no rattling or bulb out warnings to speak of. There's no secret to 'getting them to work right'; the bulbs with the upgraded resistor, (as mentioned in an earlier post) just work; and that's it.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
father ted said:
BigDeuce451 said:
I reinstalled these LED units with the help from Ash Chikhlia at AutoLEDShop. These LED units display no error codes.

I'm really pleased with these LED's. :D

http://www.autoledshop.com/enlarge.php?topid=1000&cid=722&pid=194
these look the same as the ones i got ,but the resistors looks like metal on yours? mines was small plastic ones that rattled on the inside of the boot,can you remember what they told you to get them to work rite?
Padre Ted - These are the current version with the revised resistor. No instructions came with the LED units. You must stick the resistor down with double sided tape inside the boot hatch so it doesn't move around, and you must insure all the connections are true and seated properly.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Malte said:
It looks like they are Very bright? Can u get any more photos in the evening maybe?
Do you want them to be very bright or not so bright? When it's darker, it will look even brighter. I'm kinda confused by your question to be honest. :?:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
XXXCorps said:
BigDeuce451 said:
kennyshane84 said:
Or just look in the A1 manual for instructions on how to remove them...
As regards stopping all the rattling in the tailgate interior once you've installed; I wrapped the resistor and wiring loom in computer peripheral packing foam with just enough exposed so that it does not overheat. This does the job and there's no rattling or bulb out warnings to speak of. There's no secret to 'getting them to work right'; the bulbs with the upgraded resistor, (as mentioned in an earlier post) just work; and that's it.
I agree, but there is one more step that I feel must be added. You want to make sure the resistor does not move via its own weight. This will loosen the connections and most likely will cause a error code to be displayed. Use the K.I.S.S. method.

Also, the steps to remove the OEM light unit in the owners manual could be confusing to some.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh yeah, I drove to work this morning with my lights on..........No error code. Lovely :D

·
Registered
574 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
BigDeuce451 said:
kennyshane84 said:
3. Ok this is a two handed operation....
That's what I usually tell the Mrs. :lol: and then she usually laughs :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
BigDeuce451 said:
Malte said:
It looks like they are Very bright? Can u get any more photos in the evening maybe?
Do you want them to be very bright or not so bright? When it's darker, it will look even brighter. I'm kinda confused by your question to be honest. :?:
They look way to bright in your picture, Looks like two big spotlights. Im looking for the more subtle look.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts