Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 VW Up has been sitting on the driveway for four months unused. Now, I have booked an MOT for it on Saturday, but when I came to start it I found the battery is dead! :( (at least that's what I think, what confuses me is that the radio and lights were working perfectly fine which worries me because my A1 gave me a low battery warning once and the lights and MMI weren't working.)
I can't use breakdown cover (the Up is not covered because it has a SORN, it's uninsured and has no MOT.)
My only option then is to use the A1 to jump start it - how would I go around doing this? My one is the 1.6 TDI 105ps Sport with the CAYC engine. The battery is in the boot.
I know under the bonnet there is a positive terminal behind a cover, and a negative one attached to the main body. My question is: can the negative terminal attached to the body be used for jump starting another vehicle or is it a grounding point for when the A1 needs to be jump started? I'm quite concerned as I didn't see any wire coming from the negative terminal.
The manual is quite hard to understand. It only says about connecting the jump leads to the other car, not the A1, if I was to jump start another car.
I'm a noob with jump starting so apologies if I missed something :?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would go off the battery in the boot. Your drawing power from the A1 not injecting it. The jump points are specific to starting the A1 and i presume they go directly to the starter motor and not to injuce high current onto the various sub circuits within the car i.e LED's.

This way you directly drawing current from your A1's battery into the UP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
292 Posts
In my 2012 handbook under jump starting there is a section under 'CAUTION' which states that if using the A1 to start another car with flat battery then the negative jump lead should be connected from the A1 body bolt to the engine block of the car needing to be started (not the negative flat battery terminal).
The positive jump lead goes between the flat battery positive terminal to the A1 engine compartment positive terminal.

That is my understanding of the manual.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts