Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I may be wrong but I thought the off position on the light switch did this. On my car it goes clockwise - Off Auto Side Dipped.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I only have the standard ones and can't turn them off!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I am interested in this too .. am picking up car tommorrow, wasn't even sure if these were standard to be on the car or not ....

·
Registered
921 Posts
You're not supposed to be able to turn them off !
Having them fitted on new cars is mandatory in EU now and in some countries (not UK at present) so is using them. The directive is that they be ON whenever the ignition is ON.

However VW does (did) tell you how to 'de-program' them:

This is the procedure that is in the Mk6 Golf handbook - don't know if it works for Audi

OFF:
with ignition off, indicate stalk DOWN (left) and pull toward you (flash) and hold, turn ignition on for 3 seconds and you should hear a beep, ignition off and on, and they should now be off

ON:
Repeat above, but indicator stalk UP(right) instead

Given that cars registered in UK from around the middle of this month have to have DRL's fitted and also given the UK Government's opposition to making their use compulsory, how would an insurance company react in the event that visibility was deemed to be a factor in an accident and it was found that DRLs had been disabled?

·
Registered
31 Posts
On the Mk6 Golf hire car I'm driving, it's an option setting hidden amongst the various options on the MFD.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i love my DRL's why would you want to turn them off their fantastic if you have the zenons

are you planning on a secret mission and you need to sneak the car in with the lights off :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think having them on is a good thing, especially if you were ever involved in an accident least the person can't turn around and say they didnt see you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chelmersteve said:
You're not supposed to be able to turn them off !
Having them fitted on new cars is mandatory in EU now and in some countries (not UK at present) so is using them. The directive is that they be ON whenever the ignition is ON.

However VW does (did) tell you how to 'de-program' them:

This is the procedure that is in the Mk6 Golf handbook - don't know if it works for Audi

OFF:
with ignition off, indicate stalk DOWN (left) and pull toward you (flash) and hold, turn ignition on for 3 seconds and you should hear a beep, ignition off and on, and they should now be off

ON:
Repeat above, but indicator stalk UP(right) instead
Yes, it works on my car (except for the beep), so thanks again, Steve.

·
Registered
445 Posts
When is it compulsory to have them on a car? as after that date it will be an offence to have them off? also an MOT fail in future?

·
Registered
921 Posts
They became a compulsory fitment for new cars registered in EU after 7th February 2011. The UK does not support their use so despite it being mandatory for them to be fitted, it is not mandatory in UK to use them (other EU countries have made their use mandatory too). Just to repeat - there is no offence if you do not have them on in UK.
MOT is entirely different - what's required there is laid down seperately.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chelmersteve said:
They became a compulsory fitment for new cars registered in EU after 7th February 2011. The UK does not support their use so despite it being mandatory for them to be fitted, it is not mandatory in UK to use them (other EU countries have made their use mandatory too). Just to repeat - there is no offence if you do not have them on in UK.
MOT is entirely different - what's required there is laid down seperately.
So, when I go to France in a few weeks time, I have to turn them back on?

·
Registered
921 Posts
You need to check.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Chelmersteve said:
Interesting. I did not know that. I'll be glad to have them (A1 delivery expected next week), as I think they look cool and are good for safety.

·
Registered
445 Posts
If having them switched off and this contributed towards an accident would your insurance be happy?Also the car could be classed as modified by not having them switched on.I would leave them on it could prevent that HGV from pulling out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts