Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again

I've posted before but mainly been doing a lot of reading.

I'm looking into buying an A1 Sport 1.4 petrol very soon. And hopefully will be test driving one this weekend. *fingers crossed*

I know they say that 'information is power' n all but having absorbed so much info from the forum this week, I have to admit I'm a bit frightened now that I'm going to spend a lot of money on a car and it'll be riddled with problems.

I've heard of:
Rattly seat problems
Bluetooth problems
Problem with the driver information interface
Rattles in the dash
Paint defects
Paint rubbing off on the inside of the boot next to the lights

and other problems... can't remember them all now.

I'm currently driving a Toyota Aygo, a good but cheap car that was also had it's own teething problems when I took delivery of it (it was new). Rattles, bits dropping off etc. It's 4 years old now so it's picking up a few more rattles and the cheapness of it is really telling, in my opinion. Even though at the time when I bought it, it was a lot of money to me.

I thought if I bought something like an Audi A1 or a VW Polo (both cars of higher spec and build quality than my Aygo) that I wouldn't get these problems?

Has everyone had these to sort out with their new A1's?

Do people still like / love their A1s even though there's problems to sort in the beginning?

Should I be put off?

I'd really appreciate some reassurance from some owners who's had their A1s for a while now.
Just panicking a little here! (Probably just being over cautious!)

I really love and was really looking forward to test driving and planning and buying (and finally owning!) the A1.
What do you all think?

Thanks so much :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Treat yourself to the A1; I personally don't think you'll regret it.
My wife liked mine so much she bought one too and absolutely loves her Amalfi White S Line, and that from a person who swore she'd never be swayed from her beloved Minis...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!
It makes sense that people out there must be loving the A1. Otherwise... there wouldn't be so much interest and buzz about it. It wouldn't have won car of the year and stuff like that surely?

Must admit I fell for it as soon as I laid my hands on the wheel of one in the showroom last weekend. :D

I'm sure some could complain - perhaps if they're used to a more expensive car. But for sure this must be a fabulous upgrade from an Aygo!

Thanks again :)

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Being an engineer I would say you will never avoid problems no matter what you manufacture, unless you are willing to pay millions of pounds for additional testing and quality control...like do they in the medicine industry

Let's say Audi aim for 0.1% defective cars out of their 18,000 a year aim...that's still 18 cars, most companies I know work around 2% which is 360...

Nothing is ever manufactured perfecty....us engineers usually work to a tolerance...0.1-0.5mm for most parts which will lead to the faults you see...Sometimes tighter for engine parts and relaxed for things like body panels...

Plus alot of us are perfectionists and moaners on here haha!

All I will say I've been to the Audi factory and I've seen alot worse!!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks taconite! I guess perfectionism plays a part doesn't it?

So are you quite happy with your A1 so far?

Cheers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Every car is going to have it's issues, but only a small amount on here have mentioned any. Factor that to all the other contributors to this forum, and indeed all the other people who've bought A1s who don't know about the forum that have had trouble free Audi's; the good absolutely dwarf the bad...
My advice, if you can afford the relatively small amount extra; is go for the 1.4 S Line model. My wife's A1 has only the contrast line and is a truly wonderful car; it seriously made me realise that all the extras on mine simply weren't needed...
Pics here: gallery/image_page.php?album_id=182&image_id=859

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Mine has it's niggles which are slowly getting sorted but it's nothing compared to some of my friends problems which include gearboxes blowing up, engine not starting,things falling off!

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
I mean heres another example - when I got my iPhone 4 last year I had to go through 3 before I got one that worked properly!

Mass production for you! :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
taconite2 said:
I mean heres another example - when I got my iPhone 4 last year I had to go through 3 before I got one that worked properly!

Mass production for you! :)
Agreed!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, I guess you're all right on this one.
Funny - my 3GS has been a gem! ;)

You've got me confused again now! I'd just got my head around which extras to get and which to leave and now I'm thinking 'should I go for the S line?' and 'should I upgrade to a metallic or pearl colour instead of just brilliant black'

UH! DECISIONS!

Think you've all convinced me to just be aware of potential problems but know that if they arise, they can be fixed. It just makes me nervous parting with so much money and something going wrong and not being able to fix it and being stuck with a broken / substandard car. :cry:

I should perhaps think more positively... haha!

·
Registered
62 Posts
One thing you won't have is a substandard car and will be very surprised if you end up with anything going wrong at all... The dealership and moreover your warranty is there to cover any issues free of charge. Mine had a minor rattle on the door handle when I had the sound system revved up; Bolton Audi sorted that no problem even though it only did it when I was stressing the stereo.
Quite honestly I've had some awesome cars over the years but I've never owned a car that turns heads as much as the A1...

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
My only view based on my work colleage who parks his black a1 next to mine, it looks dirty even straight after a wash

I'd go with the sline it just looks nicer hehe

Go with what you can afford - no more

·
Registered
62 Posts
taconite2 said:
My only view based on my work colleage who parks his black a1 next to mine, it looks dirty even straight after a wash

It pains me to say you're right; I've gotta work doubly hard to keep mine looking good...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again guys, this is really reassuring.

What colour would you recommend that still looks good even when it's a little dirty?

Like the look of scuba or cummulus blue, but I've already got a blue car right now :-/

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
gadgetgirl said:
Thanks again guys, this is really reassuring.

What colour would you recommend that still looks good even when it's a little dirty?

Like the look of scuba or cummulus blue, but I've already got a blue car right now :-/
Bold colours like blue or red are the best, all the colours are nice in their own way! What do you want deep down? :p

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
XXXCorps said:
taconite2 said:

It pains me to say you're right; I've gotta work doubly hard to keep mine looking good...
Yeah I mean dont get me wrong looks amazing and def looks shiner than my White!

white does get dusty but it stays looking White from a distance longer

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would definitely have gone for red given the chance again; the more I see in this colour the more I like it; have had a few red Golfs & A3s previously and they all looked awesome...
Easy to keep clean and looking good too!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Had mine for a week now, so not as much experience as some of the other guys here. So far, the biggest problem I've had is what flavour of magic tree to get...no rattles, no niggles, BT syncs perfectly every time...just the sequencing on SD card tracks but now I know how to name the files to get them to sequence, it's no hassle.

The car puts a smile on my face every time I get in it and the wee hoodie who is regularly stuck behind me on the country road has realised very quickly this is not a clio and tearing me up when we hit the dual carriageway is no longer an option.

PF.xx

·
Registered
108 Posts
No problems with my 1.4 sport in 7000 miles over 7 months and Shiraz Red does it for me.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Right well I went into the dealer last week to get my Bluetooth fixed - the servicing guy didn't even know how to use the MMI on it as no other A1 had come back with any problems - so hope that answers your question.

Just remember people with problems will probably seek out this forum to vent ;)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts