Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Retro fit LED Tail Lights.

Not too expensive! Can pick up a pair on eBay for around £250, well worth it in my opinion as they really stand out.

Tools required:-

Relavent sockets, VCDS

Parts list:-

Audi LED male connector x2 - 3B0 972 724
LED tail lights - 8X0 945 094/093

- Turn the light switch to position "0".

- Remove the halogen tail lights.

- Swap the wiring over to the new connector, wire it up as shown below.

Right hand side of vehicle :

Halogen connector > LED connector
1 > 1
2 > 2
3 > 4
4 > 3
5 > 6
6 > 5

Left hand side of vehicle :

Halogen connector > LED connector
1 > 3
2 > 6
3 > 5
4 > 1
5 > 2
6 > 4

- Plug in the LED tail lights, and connect VCDS to your car. (don't turn them on before coding them as you may damage the lights, much higher voltage powering the halogens.)

• [VCDS] Retrofit LED tail lights.
• Code for LED tail lights on a non xenon car.
• Control unit "09-Central Electric">> "Encoding">> Byte 18, Change code from 6C to 6E. Change from 6E to 6F if you want your tail lights to be on with your DRL.

- Test and report!

More coding below, for the experts!

Code:
7C	Audi A1 (AU210) Halogen / Xenon	 	TFL without tail, Halogen/ Bulb (dimmed DRL)
7D	Audi A1 (AU210) Halogen / Xenon	 	TFL without tail, Halogen/ LED (dimmed DRL)
6C	Audi A1 (AU210) Halogen / Xenon	 	TFL without tail, Halogen/Bulb 8.08.08
6D	Audi A1 (AU210) Halogen / Xenon	 	TFL with tail, Halogen/ Bulb 8.08.08
6E	Audi A1 (AU210) Halogen / Xenon	 	TFL without tail, Halogen/ LED 8.08.08
6F	Audi A1 (AU210) Halogen / Xenon	 	TFL with tail, Halogen/ LED 8.08.08
70	Audi A1 (AU210) Halogen / Xenon	 	LED TFL without tail, LED TFL/ Bulb 8.08.08
71	Audi A1 (AU210) Halogen / Xenon	 	LED TFL with tail, LED TFL/ Bulb 8.08.08
72	Audi A1 (AU210) Halogen / Xenon	 	LED TFL without tail, LED TFL/ LED 8.08.08
73	Audi A1 (AU210) Halogen / Xenon	 	LED TFL with tail, LED TFL/ LED 8.08.08

TFL: daytime running lights

·
Registered
24 Posts
Installed my LED rear lights today following the instructions in this post and I'm pleased to report that the lights work perfectly :D . A big thank you to Aoon for the original write-up, and pics to follow shortly together with a few observations of my own which some may find makes the job easier.

·
Registered
24 Posts
silver_sline said:
Installed my LED rear lights today following the instructions in this post and I'm pleased to report that the lights work perfectly :D . A big thank you to Aoon for the original write-up, and pics to follow shortly together with a few observations of my own which some may find makes the job easier.
As promised, here is a pic of the finished install:

[album]3010[/album]

While the entire process was relatively straightforward, I did have some difficulty with removing the old wires from the existing 6-pin connector to be re-used in to the new 8-pin plug for the LED lights (as per Aoon's write-up).

For this, I had purchased a specific tool (Laser 3932) to extract the pins from the connector but they just wouldn't budge after the first couple of mms - in fact I ended up damaging a few (the wires detached at the crimping point) just trying to get them out.

I subsequently had a chat with a tech from my local VW garage, who told me that when replacing connectors of this type they usually cut into the old plugs (actually destrouing the black plastic bit!) to get the pins out, as apparently even with the official VAG tools the existing pins can be damaged meaning they can't be re-used.

Anyway, in the end I opted to "re-wire" the lights using some Audi repair wires (000 979 019 E), which came with the correct pins that could inserted into the new connector (3B0 972 724) with ease. I then joined the wires to the existing ones from the car's wiring loom to the lights using some "snap" connectors, so no soldering or additional crimping required. Afterwards simply refit the lights, code on VCDS, then voila! You have the best-looking tail lights on any supermini :D

So here is my final set-up in a diagram, please excuse the appalling Paint skills :lol::

[album]3002[/album]

Just to be clear, I'm not saying the way I've done it is better than the original write-up but I thought I would share this alternative way of doing it in the hope that someone will find it useful :D . Oh and the usual DIY (destroy-it-yourself) disclaimer applies should you choose to follow these instructions :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't know if anyone experienced any problems when installing retrofit rear LED lights, but I've fitted the new connector as per the wiring points indicated, (and double checked they are correct), and once the VCDS change implemented, when switching on the rear fogs, the passenger side fog light shows a fault code, although the fog light functions exactly the same as the drivers side, i.e. no failed LRD bulbs. Also, I can see the lights operating underneath the hatch, i.e. those that function when the hatch is open. When I open the hatch, the rear lights and indicators in the clusters, if operating, switch off, as expected, but when I close the hatch, the rear lights reactivate, but the indicators do not.
This is a bit of a concern as the indicators are operating in the lights under the hatch, but are not visible to people behind and due to these operating there is no fault code being shown. I only found this out when being followed by a friend.
Has anyone experienced something similar when changing over from halogen to pre-facelift LED rear lights and did you manage to resolve it ?
Appreciate any thoughts, feedback or suggestions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys sorry to dig up this thread, i am currently in the mits of fitting these lights. however, when it comes to the coding of the lights I am in my VCDS in the long coding and the drop down (helper if you will) does not mention anything other the 6C? is this a limitation with my software or can i just enter 6F save it and be on my way? just dont want to blow up my lights.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys sorry to dig up this thread, i am currently in the mits of fitting these lights. however, when it comes to the coding of the lights I am in my VCDS in the long coding and the drop down (helper if you will) does not mention anything other the 6C? is this a limitation with my software or can i just enter 6F save it and be on my way? just dont want to blow up my lights.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
7 Posts

thanks in advance

·
Registered
7 Posts

thanks in advance

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes just change to 6F.

In regards to the fog light issue I can only assume your car is newer and needs different coding.

What was your original value?

My fog lights worked fine

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes just change to 6F.

In regards to the fog light issue I can only assume your car is newer and needs different coding.

What was your original value?

My fog lights worked fine

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK so i went and brought some 2017 lights assuming they would be the same as what the post suggested, however i noticed the plug is a 6pin so i ordered the 6pin adapter from Germany (191972723).

now has any one experienced fitting these? is the wiring the same as the original post? and would the coding be the same?

thanks

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Liquid Fluid Automotive tail & brake light

Hood Audio equipment Electrical wiring Electronic instrument Computer hardware
Hood Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive exterior Electrical wiring
Bag Material property Font Luggage and bags Rectangle

1 - 17 of 17 Posts