Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exploded view - impact bar
Without towing bracket
1 - Bumper cover
- Removed

2 - Nut
- 20 Nm

3 - Impact bar
- Bumper cover removed
- Remove nuts -3- on both sides and detach impact bar.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
With towing bracket
1 - Bolt
- 50 Nm + 90°
- Bolts must be renewed following removal.

2 - Impact bar with towing bracket
- Removing
- Bumper cover removed
- Remove socket from towing bracket and unfasten wiring harness.
- Remove bolts -1- and pull towing bracket out of longitudinal member towards rear.
- In area of front bolted connection, wheel housing liner must be unfastened and pressed to the side so that bolt
becomes accessible.
- Installing
- Insert towing bracket in longitudinal members and and secure loosely with bolts.
- Tighten bolts alternately (from front to rear) to specified torque.
- Attach wiring harness and secure socket for towing bracket with bolts.

3 - Ball coupling
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
873 Posts
Cheers mate - friend of mine wanted this....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Brilliant - much appreciated!
I can't pm you yet as I'm still a newb but I can take a screen shot for later reference - my car is build week 36 so still a way to go!
Once again many thanks

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Hi, first post here, great information. Quick question, have you installed the towbar? if so which towbar did you use and did you use a dedicated wiring kit? Does anybody know what the Audi tobar preperation involves. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Johnboy48 said:
Hi, first post here, great information. Quick question, have you installed the towbar? if so which towbar did you use and did you use a dedicated wiring kit? Does anybody know what the Audi tobar preperation involves. Thanks
I have specced my A1(Oct delivery) with the towbar pre-fit option but my dealer is not sure what it includes apart from a modified diffuser/bumper - think I'm going to go for the Westfalia detachable tow bar/wiring kit from PF Jones and fit it myself - I was quoted £700 by the dealer :eek:
You would think all the profit Audi makes from the options that they would explain fully what you get for your money :roll:

Sorry I can't through anymore light on this unless there is somebody out there knows.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Thanks for that, i know that Audi do fit the Westfallia towbar because i had one on my A4. I am going to fit one early next year and will use PF Jones for the towbar and wiring kit, they are about the best out their. On their website it does say bumper cuts visible so it may be something to do with that. Could you keep me informed how you go on if you decide to fit one
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
derbyshiredriver said:
Johnboy48 said:
Hi, first post here, great information. Quick question, have you installed the towbar? if so which towbar did you use and did you use a dedicated wiring kit? Does anybody know what the Audi tobar preperation involves. Thanks
I have specced my A1(Oct delivery) with the towbar pre-fit option but my dealer is not sure what it includes apart from a modified diffuser/bumper - think I'm going to go for the Westfalia detachable tow bar/wiring kit from PF Jones and fit it myself - I was quoted £700 by the dealer :eek:
You would think all the profit Audi makes from the options that they would explain fully what you get for your money :roll:

Sorry I can't through anymore light on this unless there is somebody out there knows.........
They don't know what it involves???? Let me tell you how I fix this "not knowing crap",........everyone has a boss. It quickly get's sorted from there. It's your money, you're in charge of the sale from start to finish. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I rang 2 dealers today and they didn't know what it was, they put me through to sales, parts, service and back to sales, i then rang PFJones who stated that the towbar prep is the electrical wiring adapted so that it will accept a dedicated wiring kit, if you don't have this you have to have a bypass relay fitted (cost of detachable towbar + bypass £185). Got back to dealer who "suddenly remembered" and said that to have it retrofitted (the towbar prep)would be roughly £500 !! plus the towbar plus the fitting(total roughly £1000) and that you have to have the prep fitted before you can have a towbar fitted, which is a load of crap. I then rang Audi UK customer service and they were not sure about it, said have you asked thedealer and i explained the above to which he just said typical,they said they would find out and get back to me.It really is unbelievable for a premier brand. The A1 that i have bought was 2 months old so i didn't have the chance to spec the towbar prep. This is my 4th Audi and while they are a great well built car the aftersales is a joke
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Yes it does make you wonder about dealers - have they not heard of training - the company I work for rams training down our throats on every new product/service they introduce - there is 100 time more info on this site than you'll ever get from a dealer
Audi's brochure and website leave a lot to be desired too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I am fitting a Tow - Trust detachable bar and single electrics this week to my A1..

Will post up, how it goes. It looks a simple enough procedure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
i have the dealer installed towbar on my A1 and i am very impressed as its completly hidden except when i need it thanks to the special pnale in the bumper. its the first time i dont regret the money spent as i could never have done it myself like this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
wknight said:
i have the dealer installed towbar on my A1 and i am very impressed as its completly hidden except when i need it thanks to the special pnale in the bumper. its the first time i dont regret the money spent as i could never have done it myself like this.
How much did the dealer charge?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Johnboy48 said:
i then rang PFJones who stated that the towbar prep is the electrical wiring adapted so that it will accept a dedicated wiring kit, if you don't have this you have to have a bypass relay fitted (cost of detachable towbar + bypass £185).
I went to PF Jones this morning. They told me it was impossible to fit a tow bar to my A1 as I do not have the Tow Bar prep. Is this right or not?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Godzilla

I picked my A1 1.4tfsi Sport yesterday, and it doesn't have Tow Bar Prep.

I have just finished fitting my Tow Trust detachable Towbar to this car, albeit I need to wire the electrics in, which I will do this week.

It took around 2 hours Max to remove bumper, remove crash bar hidden behind bumper, fit tow bar and re-fit bumper.

As far as I know the tow bar prep is just a pre fixed/wired socket behind the bumper, you still need to remove bumper then remove the crash bar, behind the bumper..

All you need is standard electrics with a bypass relay.

So I think PF jones have given you incorrect info!

Regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Peterg said:
Godzilla

I picked my A1 1.4tfsi Sport yesterday, and it doesn't have Tow Bar Prep.

I have just finished fitting my Tow Trust detachable Towbar to this car, albeit I need to wire the electrics in, which I will do this week.

It took around 2 hours Max to remove bumper, remove crash bar hidden behind bumper, fit tow bar and re-fit bumper.

As far as I know the tow bar prep is just a pre fixed/wired socket behind the bumper, you still need to remove bumper then remove the crash bar, behind the bumper..

All you need is standard electrics with a bypass relay.

So I think PF jones have given you incorrect info!

Regards
Could you post pics of the electric install?
Did you have any issues getting the bumper off and re-aligning it to the wings?

Cheers Phil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
I can't remember the actual price for the Towbar but I think around £900 with vat is not far off.

Initially I was very unhappy at the price but now I am delighted. Why because I have had towbars for years and they are ugly things at the back of my car with often bruise my chins. I now have a lovely looking car and simply fit the TowbAr when I need it in less than a minute and the removable panel means you can't even see you have a Towbar

Btw you will need to go to halfords and get a converter plug if you already own a trailer or bile rack with uk 7 pin connector
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
wknight said:
I can't remember the actual price for the Towbar but I think around £900 with vat is not far off.

Initially I was very unhappy at the price but now I am delighted. Why because I have had towbars for years and they are ugly things at the back of my car with often bruise my chins. I now have a lovely looking car and simply fit the TowbAr when I need it in less than a minute and the removable panel means you can't even see you have a Towbar

Btw you will need to go to halfords and get a converter plug if you already own a trailer or bile rack with uk 7 pin connector
I'm hoping you mean SHINS :lol:

Trying to picture what you'd be doing that low to hurt your face on a towbar hehe!
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top