Audi A1 Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Hi,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but though it better than to start a new one.

Does anyone know when you change the headlights from RHD to LHD, if the pattern completely mirrors?

Right hand drive ones should look like this....
---------\_______

And left hand drives one...
_______/---------

Or does it just make the beam completely flat?

I ask as I wish to retrofit xenons to my car, and LHD units from Germany are much cheaper than UK ones. So basically I'm asking if changing LHD headlights to RHD setting will pass an MOT? If it is as simple as using VCDS to change them over, sounds like a plan to me!

Thanks in advance!
Chris.

Hi
No, it doesn't mirror the pattern.
I haven't tried it on my A1 but I did activate it on my Q5, and all it does is just lowers the aim slightly.
So unless you plan on using your car abroad a lot, it doesn't make sense, even if they are cheaper, as the beam pattern on LHD units would be optimised towards the right - not what you want over here. They'd have to be adjusted so low as to defeat the purpose of upgrading.
Have you considered changing to xenon bulbs and ballasts, ie HID kit?

Thanks for the reply.

Don't want to do a HID kit, as it's illegal, and looks awful in a halogen housing.

Anyone know if there is a lever inside the xenon lights to change them?
I know on my old Audi's with xenon's there was, not sure about on the A1.

I have a 2017 17 plate A1 S line with xenon lights, the AUDI centre told me I can adjust it in the MMI however I can't see any obvious option to do this. Any tips would be appreciated please!

Ok I found the solution which will probably be useful for lots of others. Dealer tried to adjust them for me for £55 but I declined as I would then be driving illegally in the UK.

Facelift models with xenons (all s lines) have a flat beam pattern and don't need adjusting. It's confirmed on page 41 of my manual dated 05/2017. Going to put the dealer straight tomorrow.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.