Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about adding the hill hold assist to my order, as it's only an extra £65. I've had a look on here but I can't find much about it. I've got a query about it before I decide.

Let's say I was parked on a steep hill in between two cars. If the auto hill hold is on, at what point does it disengage? With a manual, you obviously have to use the clutch to find the bite, and apply gas etc etc. But with the H.H.A, does it disengage as soon as you use the clutch, and thus the car will start to roll back? Or does it remain engaged until the car begins to move forward? If anybody who has it could explain it to me, and perhaps enclose whether or not they think it's worth it, that would be great!

·
Registered
82 Posts
HI 89raikessj
I have ordered HHA. it will disengage as soon as you begin to move, will not roll for up to 5 seconds even with your foot on the clutch and as you find the biting point. It saves you having to use the hand brake to prevent roll back / forward.
I ordered it as we have it on both our Mercedes and Smart ForTwo.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NTT said:
HI 89raikessj
I have ordered HHA. it will disengage as soon as you begin to move, will not roll for up to 5 seconds even with your foot on the clutch and as you find the biting point. It saves you having to use the hand brake to prevent roll back / forward.
I ordered it as we have it on both our Mercedes and Smart ForTwo.
Ahh right ok, that's cool! That's what I was hoping; seemed pretty pointless otherwise. Another thing though. Can you still make the car roll back at all? Once again, theoretically, if you were in a space on a steep hill facing upwards, and you needed to move backwards to give you the room to drive out of the space, how would you go about that? Normally, I would keep my foot on the clutch and the break, and lightly release the break so that the car rolls backwards, then hold the car with the handbreak and accelerate forward. Surely if the only way that you could move backwards was to engage reverse and accelerate backwards, you'd smash into the car behind? Or maybe I'm missing something.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ahh right ok, that's cool! That's what I was hoping; seemed pretty pointless otherwise. Another thing though. Can you still make the car roll back at all? Once again, theoretically, if you were in a space on a steep hill facing upwards, and you needed to move backwards to give you the room to drive out of the space, how would you go about that? Normally, I would keep my foot on the clutch and the break, and lightly release the break so that the car rolls backwards, then hold the car with the handbreak and accelerate forward. Surely if the only way that you could move backwards was to engage reverse and accelerate backwards, you'd smash into the car behind? Or maybe I'm missing something.
I have the S-Tronic in mine where the hill-hold assist comes as standard but I'm pretty aware of how it works... What you said here, in this situation the hill-hold assist wouldn't engage again until you've starting moving and then come to a standstill, so you would be free to move backwards. Make sense?

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Wow this would feel weird to me using this system, don't know if i'd trust a computer this much hehe :p

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crosara said:
I have the S-Tronic in mine where the hill-hold assist comes as standard but I'm pretty aware of how it works... What you said here, in this situation the hill-hold assist wouldn't engage again until you've starting moving and then come to a standstill, so you would be free to move backwards. Make sense?
Uhh kind of...but not completely. To clarify, do you need to accelerate in reverse in order to get the car to move backwards if the car is parked facing up a hill? Is the car still capable of 'rolling' on the clutch in neutral? I can't get my head around how the thing works, without it seeming like it's hindering what you can and can't do with the car! Sorry mate, I'm just really confused about it. I read Audi's definition of it and that was on about some kind of button you press :?

Taco - I know what you mean, that's why I'm asking these questions! I don't want to be stuck with a system that keeps overriding things I'm actually doing. But by the same token, I'm thinking of the wear and tear to the handbrake, as well as anything that will reduce the chance of a bump...not that I'm an incompetent driver!

·
Registered
82 Posts
89raikessj said:
Crosara said:
Uhh kind of...but not completely. To clarify, do you need to accelerate in reverse in order to get the car to move backwards if the car is parked facing up a hill? Is the car still capable of 'rolling' on the clutch in neutral? I can't get my head around how the thing works, without it seeming like it's hindering what you can and can't do with the car! Sorry mate, I'm just really confused about it. I read Audi's definition of it and that was on about some kind of button you press :?

If you keep your foot on the clutch, then release the brake the car will be held for approx. 5 secs after that it will roll either backwards or forwards. When you apply the brakes again it will give you another 5 secs of assistance.
It will only work on inclines. If you apply your hand brake on an incline it will cancel out the assistance. I hope this helps.

It similar to the electric parking brake which releases automatically when movement is detected.

I am not sure if it can be retro fitted. Worth asking

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahhh ok, I think I get it now. So, no button to turn it off then? I'm still a little sceptical to be honest. It sounds great in all situations, other than a tight space on a hill. I normally pump the break on and off in order to keep the car moving slowly enough so as it doesn't gain momentum and smash into the car behind. If I have to wait 5 seconds every time I apply a bit of pressure, it might get a bit tedious! The reason I'm bothered so much is because I live on quite a steep hill!

Cheers for the info, how have you found it? Is it worth it?

I have asked the dealer about how it works, but as per usual, now they have my money and my signature, they aren't that interested!

·
Registered
82 Posts
89raikessj said:
Ahhh ok, I think I get it now. So, no button to turn it off then? I'm still a little sceptical to be honest. It sounds great in all situations, other than a tight space on a hill. I normally pump the break on and off in order to keep the car moving slowly enough so as it doesn't gain momentum and smash into the car behind. If I have to wait 5 seconds every time I apply a bit of pressure, it might get a bit tedious! The reason I'm bothered so much is because I live on quite a steep hill!

Cheers for the info, how have you found it? Is it worth it?

I have asked the dealer about how it works, but as per usual, now they have my money and my signature, they aren't that interested!
I have got used to it. It can be a handful in certain situations parking is one of them. It really works well for hill starts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.