Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I recently bought an a1 1.4tfsi and i am thinking of changing the standard halogen bulbs to a xenon kit. Has any member of this forum done this conversion? Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Make sure you buy a kit with H7R Xenon bulbs. Double check the A1 is H7 first. You need R bulbs for sure though. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi - I did a lot of research into this with very few answers coming from the stores on the net selling HID kits. No one could tell me if the Kits were safe to fit to an A1 as the A3 suffers from wiper failure if you fit one to it. Mojito is right you should really fit a H7R kit however i tried this and the light output was shocking so I changed it to standard H7 and setup the beam pattern so not to dazzle. I got the Canbus pro kit 4600K from HID direct and so far it has been trouble free but fiting is difficult and sighting the ballasts is tricky as there is little room especially on the left side on the TDi. Drilling the bottom of the headlight unit instead of the bulb cover is also best as again there is little clearance at the back of the housing. You will also find a chamber behind each headlight housing that the ballast will fit in and is totally hidden from view so a glance under the bonnet shows no signs of the kit and as the cable entry is under the headlight unit you cant see this either. 4600k lamps are also OEM standard so it does not stand out as being aftermarket the 6000K are pretty blue . Hope this helps. I you do fit a kit you will have to be pretty handy as it take a bit of fettling here and there especially on the cable entry hole as it is to small to get the plugs through if you used the recomended hole cutter and a bigger size is to big for the gromet so I had to file the sides of the hole . Good luck

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
jrh said:
Hi - I did a lot of research into this with very few answers coming from the stores on the net selling HID kits. No one could tell me if the Kits were safe to fit to an A1 as the A3 suffers from wiper failure if you fit one to it. Mojito is right you should really fit a H7R kit however i tried this and the light output was shocking so I changed it to standard H7 and setup the beam pattern so not to dazzle. I got the Canbus pro kit 4600K from HID direct and so far it has been trouble free but fiting is difficult and sighting the ballasts is tricky as there is little room especially on the left side on the TDi. Drilling the bottom of the headlight unit instead of the bulb cover is also best as again there is little clearance at the back of the housing. You will also find a chamber behind each headlight housing that the ballast will fit in and is totally hidden from view so a glance under the bonnet shows no signs of the kit and as the cable entry is under the headlight unit you cant see this either. 4600k lamps are also OEM standard so it does not stand out as being aftermarket the 6000K are pretty blue . Hope this helps. I you do fit a kit you will have to be pretty handy as it take a bit of fettling here and there especially on the cable entry hole as it is to small to get the plugs through if you used the recomended hole cutter and a bigger size is to big for the gromet so I had to file the sides of the hole . Good luck
Good advice and yes, the 6000k Xenons are just a little too blue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much!I will probably go for the can bus pro kit as it is trouble free. When I make the change I will post some pictures.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
During this period i also did a lot of research in trying to find which hid kit is appropriate for our audi. I am between the canbuspro kit from hid direct (which is already tested and well functioning) and the 35w ultimate hid kit with h7r bulbs fron hiDds4u.co.uk. Does anyone else from this forum has bought any hid kit from the last store? And one more question..in order to retrofit i must also buy adapters from kufatec.de or this is not necessary? Thank you again!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've replaced my H7s with a Xenon Kit. 6000k. I'll upload some picture when I can, only broblem you'll find if you've got the right set is that the ballast won't fit into the light unit so you have to make a hole in the plastic 'lid' that comes on and off for the light unit. So drill the holes and then get some tidy water proof plugs then that allow the wires to go through as well and job done.

I'll upload some pictures of mine, what they look like and the holes/plugs as well. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you tell us where did you buy your Hid? I'm asking because there are so many kits and i dont know which is compatible with the audi's canbus..i'm afraid that i will buy a kit and then i will have problems such as wiper failure like a3s..which bulb did you select?h7 or h7r?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts