Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the month of really bad icy weather I have since found that my front windscreen is scratched beyond belief, I have only just noticed it now that the sun has finally come out, I have only ever used a plastic scrapper on it and the same scraper has been used on every car I've ever owned with no problems and my last car I had for 8 years. My car is going back to the dealer this Monday and I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas, I was wondering could it be the stuck on the window wipers or is there a fault with the actual windscreen. Can anyone help? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Hmmm, I wonder if Audi are using a different glass these days.

We had a TT-S for a 4000km test in the summer. On the way round europe, we needed to do the obligatory morgue cleanup of the windscreen, with the usual squeegee you find at the garage. I noticed as I wiped the screen that a couple of lines were left behind (not massive, just abrasions on the passenger side). I checked the squeegee, no rouge edges, nothing.

Nothing on our A1 though, and its been a tough winter, including a rather large amount of ice falling on the car from the second floor roof of the offices (new bonnet required, no windscreen scratches though)

Let us know what the dealer says.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I will let u know what they say, the other problem I have is the horn, it could only be described as laughable and I was wondering does every A1 horn sound daft or is it just mine, I have a 1.4 TFSI Sport S-Tronic.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I scratched the passenger side last weekend when scraping the ice off with a plastic scraper. Haven't tried cleaning yet to see how bad it is.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Does the Lifeshine Autoglym cover you for these slight scratches??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also have scratches on the side windows but I'm more bothered about the windscreen as it is a total mess and really bad when the sun shines on it, when I spoke to Audi they said that no way could a plastic scraper have done it and that they would look at it on Monday, but whatever happens it needs sorted as its unacceptable, my car has only just done 600 miles and the manual clearly states to only use a plastic scraper so really its something they need to rectify as its plain ridiculous if you can't clear your windows with a scraper as per their instructions.

·
Registered
162 Posts
No problems with windscreen,no scraper use,will monitor,used the horn the other day,felt i was driving NODDYS car!! :lol:

·
Registered
512 Posts
A1LDU said:
No problems with windscreen,no scraper use,will monitor,used the horn the other day,felt i was driving NODDYS car!! :lol:
Is it really that bad lol??

Probs a naff one to save on weight and thus lower emissions hahah

·
Registered
69 Posts
not noticed anything on the windscreen yet but will check. I am with you on the horn though. Pressed it the other day and had to pretend it was not my car that made that noise!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes the horn is totally embarrassing never mind not loud enought to attract attention if need be so I would say its not fit for purpose so it will be interesting to see what the dealer says about it.
If you are checking your windscreen for scratches do it in direct sunlight or if dark under a street light as they are much more noticeable.

·
Registered
445 Posts
A1LDU said:
From inside the car it sounds like a toy train!

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Have to day that the Diesel we drove in October had a pathetic horn (equivalent to Sport in UK) but our S line sounds like our Q5, nice 'n meaty)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
i've got a s-line and my horn sounds pathetic :-(

·
Registered
921 Posts
Re windscreen scratches - if it was wipers the scratches would be in arcs and that wouldn't account for side windows. Has the car, or even just the windows, been washed? Grit on a wash leather can cause havoc. Also windscreen scrapers sometime get grit embedded in the blade and that causes havoc too - especially if used on a windscreen thats got salt/grit residue on it -you have to keep the blade clean.

Re horn - mine seems fine, loud and deep just like previoius A3s

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'm betting the same horn is fitted across the range as I think my in-laws commented about their A6 horn before now. Horn sounds OK to me agreeing with Steve similar to my A3 IIRC.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
I think its time to record the sound of the horn :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Due to the continuous sub zero conditions my car has not been washed yet so I can rule that out for damaging the windscreen and the same scraper has been used on all my cars and the last one was a BMW Compact that I had for 8 years and there was no windscreen damage on it and last winter was just as bad where I live. So I'm really struggling to work out what has happened unless some sort of pre-delivery protection coating was left on the windscreen in error. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Jax, Do you know if you had Lifeshine protection on your car?,was wondering if their was a problem with the glass treatment if used,i.e faulty or wrongly applied. :?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No I didn't get the Lifeshine protection on the car so I can rule that out, the car's going back to the dealer tomorrow morning so I was wanting to find out as much as I could before putting it in, I am worried about it as this is a problem that needs sorting and I need for it not to happen again in the future.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts