Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/girls,

I'm looking to order my new Audi A1 this week to try and get one mid-November.

Thing is, i'm possibly the most indecisive person in the known world and i'm never good at picking anything for myself! :p

I thought if I'd ask no other than the people who have already got their A1's!

I'll tell you a little about what I use the car for and see if we can get some nice spec from that.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

1) It's going to be the Audi A1 1.4TFSI 185 S-tronic

2) I do alot of town driving, mainly to and from university and through the main campus.

3) I live in Scotland so i'm also always out on the b-roads and winding through the country lanes!

4) I like can't decide whether I'll get Glacier White, Scuba blue or Shiraz Red but I want something unique for sure.

5) Definitely got to have Xenons!

6) I'm ashamed to say but i'm a bit of a poser, I need something to stand out. I'm sure most of you out there are as well :p

7) I love Music - again, i'm ashamed to be one of those people who love it blaring! (not when driving slowly about town - that's just terrible)

Basically I just need some gudiance on how to spec the car. No more than £24,000 though. I think after that it gets just a little silly :p

Cheers!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheapest is £26k!

·
Registered
354 Posts
You should get all the bits you need for £24k

I think its great value for an amazing package car. I looked at other cars, and they either didnt feal right (to cheap) or after I added spec to the sort of level I wanted they get expensive. Also the other options started to have other costs, like insurance and car tax.

I regretted not getting the Xenon LEDs on my last car, so they were an essential this time. I didnt want the basic paint as I didnt like the colours, and red suits the size of the car and the contrast lines added something I liked.

If you get the stronic, get the armrest, its a really usefull space for odds and sods, and keeps the cabin clutter free and items away from prying eyes when its parked.

Climate control, just for the value including the light and rain sensors and the better knobs

Tyre sensors just becuase they are so cheap (relatively)

If you havnt decided the wheels, then the 17s still look great, and will be cheaper to replace the tyres. But the do not stand out as well as the 18s. Which I also like the fact they are shared look with other sline models

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'd LOVE to come and spend 24K for you. :)

Milano Leather - you must have leather darling.
I have the contrast colours red & black - stunning on a black car - would be super on the Shiraz Red.
Carrie.

·
Registered
58 Posts
dont forget the £95 option to have the paddles like i did (well the dealer said it came standard so when it turned up i was well p***d off and found out to get them retro fitted they cost £1600 :( i had a right go)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Scuba Blue - no contrast. As I said before, Sphere Blue is both attractive and unusual but then again, Daytona isn't bad either.

Flappy paddles if you're getting the 185.

Climate.

Heated/folding mirrors.

Xenons - but you're already set on those anyway.

Audi Sound System - it strikes me as a pretty good compromise between the standard system and Bose.

Tyre sensors because they're cheap and useful.

18s for the wheels if you want to stand out.

Black styling package and window tints? Again, if you want to be noticed :D

Not sure if there's any of the budget left now ......

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AHa great suggestions so far! Thing is, I know alot of people think the £24k is alot for an A1. I want a small car and there's nothing out there! It was either this or a mini cooper. Mini cooper that's slower, with less spec + it's being replaced soon works out dearer. Also!!! the Insurance quote I got was £3,000 compared to the Audi A1 at £721. I don't see what else there is out there in this kind of section. I'm lucky enough to have access to a lovely '04 plate Jaguar XJR which is fantastic and I don't really need anything else! If i'm going to have an A1, you might as well make it nice...I don't see the point in getting a premium supermini if you don't spec it properly IMO.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bob_s said:
You should get all the bits you need for £24k

I think its great value for an amazing package car. I looked at other cars, and they either didnt feal right (to cheap) or after I added spec to the sort of level I wanted they get expensive. Also the other options started to have other costs, like insurance and car tax.

I completely agree! I like the premium feel.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Morells said:
dont forget the £95 option to have the paddles like i did (well the dealer said it came standard so when it turned up i was well p***d off and found out to get them retro fitted they cost £1600 :( i had a right go)
That's crap! The salesman really don't know a whole lot most of the time.....

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Morells said:
Surely its just a case of swapping the steering wheel for the Paddle version, then a quick bit of coding in VCDS? The wheel can be bought for about £436.80 then you can sell your old one on ebay to recoup some of the cost!

http://www.e-parts.co.uk/product.asp?ca ... &ve=&manu=

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah that seems like the best way! /

I loved the flappy paddles. I didn't really put the gearbox into S all that much, I always resorted to the paddles! loved it in the back rounds....only thing: the paddles travel with the steering wheel! I got caught out a couple of times :p

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you're into music get the tech pack for an onboard hard drive to store your music on, you get a higher res screen, coverflow and better sat nav among other things.

Definitely the climate control

Definitely heated mirrors

Black styling pack if you go for a light paintwork and privacy glass.

I forget my spec.... it's below in my signature if you want to have a look. I haven't got the car yet, but it's ordered!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gadgetgirl said:
If you're into music get the tech pack for an onboard hard drive to store your music on, you get a higher res screen, coverflow and better sat nav among other things.

Definitely the climate control

Definitely heated mirrors

Black styling pack if you go for a light paintwork and privacy glass.

I forget my spec.... it's below in my signature if you want to have a look. I haven't got the car yet, but it's ordered!!
Yeah I agree with the black styling pack with the lighter colours!

Those 18s, are they the ones from the Competition line? :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yes, they're the wheels from the Competition line, but I'm getting them on their own :-D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:D I do like those wheels! The tyres look almost painted on :p

·
Registered
350 Posts
Fezz said:
:D I do like those wheels! The tyres look almost painted on :p
They most certainly do!! :D :D

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
I don't think the climate control is amazing or the auto lights and wipers....useless toys :p

Heated mirrors never found the need even with this cold winter we had last December.

Bose and the headlights would be options id have if ordering again :p

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
taconite2 said:
I don't think the climate control is amazing or the auto lights and wipers....useless toys :p

Heated mirrors never found the need even with this cold winter we had last December.

Bose and the headlights would be options id have if ordering again :p
What did you go for in your A1?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.