Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone , I know this isnt in the right slot to put this but I knew id get more people to read here thought :)

Just posting incase some of you might be able to help. To cut a long story short! I purchased like a insurance cover for
( gap, tyres and alloy ) on my old mini. It was was for 3 yrs cover and I was to pay for it monthly for a yr.

Ive paid 60/70% off by now and hence now ive part ex'd the mini , ive enquired to cancel this cover. Only to be told Ive still got to pay for the policy :shock: I wasnt told by the sales rep it was a 3rd party company and hence ive got to pay them back because they have paid in full for the cover.

So ive still got to pay because basically its like a personal loan, I have written only to the dealership to say i feel ive been missed sold this policy and it wasnt correctly explained to me.

I wrote the dealer in Dec , I had a phone call off them the day before xmas eve to say they have received my letter and i would have a reply on their return 4th Jan. but despite phonecalls etc and try to getting a response . It is 20th today and only had a response today because I did all the chasing. They are basically saying , ive signed the sheet to say I accept its not transferable and hence they are bothered and I cant do nothing about.

I am going to try and contact mini uk? direct to ask them about it . its the fact i wasnt told , you are signing something disbite whatever happens? you got still to pay this. I dont expected to be treated like this by name dealer.

Unfort i might be fighting a losing battle but im going to give up without without aleast trying.

Just thought id ask on here , to see if anyone could recommend who I should contact to highlight this? i.e. the insurance ombudsman , local newspaper to the dealer? , local mp , mini uk?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Auto-Express and What Car are good for both consumer advice and taking yout case to the dealer or manufacturer if they think your in the right. They must gets hundred of emails a week so don't hold your breath for a reply, but yours is an intersting case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Jrh , il include them also. I know I might be a fault to some of it and hence maybe asked more questions , but I dont expect type off thing from a main dealer garage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Contact your local Trading Standards Office (it is part of the local council, try the A-Z on their website) and file a complaint. Unlike going to a solicitor it's free. Most councils run garage accreditation schemes thro trading standards, and no garage wants to fall foul of this as it will cause them a lot of grief. Contact trading standards and tell the garage you are doing so. If you write to trading standards, send a copy of the letter to the branch manager of the garage.

I'll betcha that suddenly gets their attention! :twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didnt think trading standards would get involved this type of thing? Il include them thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
921 Posts
i really don't see you have any complaint. You took out a 3 year policy for which you elected to pay over 12 months. The fact that you no longer have the car is irrelevant. You took out a policy that gave you 3 years cover, that you chose to sell the car is of no concern to whoever sold you the policy. This stuff you say about third party involvement is also, in my opinion, irrelevant - it makes no difference to your lack of eligibility for a rebate.
Suppose you had paid the premium entirely up front - would you have expected to get a refund?
Think of it another way, if you had made a claim in the first few months of the policy you would have expected them to pay up even though you hadn't yet paid in full. You would still have had to pay off the outstanding balance.

Tyre insurance, gap insurance, lifeshine all tend to be 3 year deals and non-transferable, and you don't get anything back if you sell the car before the 3 years is up. They also tend to be nice little earners for the dealers.

As to involving Mini - what's it got to do with them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i can see what your saying chelmersteve , im blaming mini sales rep because I wasnt told that it will be non transferable , I wasnt told that im entering a seperate arrangement with a third party and regardless of what happens im still gonna have to pay. I dont expect to be treated like this by a main dealer , i could understand if it was a back street dealer but not a main dealer.

If he had told me , the above i would of still properly gone ahead with it . BUT i wasnt , Im not gonna be treated like a prat and lied too. despite a letter sent to the dealer in the middle dec , and promises of a reply etc I never heard off them , I had to do all the chasing .
Im sure if you had a problem with your car , you wouldnt allow your dealer not to do nothing about it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
445 Posts
I think it is about time this hard sell of these insurance products is stopped it is putting me off buying cars and a lot of people must be unaware they are buying them as they are being hidden in the cost of the car.The latest one I heard was at a Ford dealer for chip repair insurance £200 for 12 months.I would write to your MP .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tim said:
I think it is about time this hard sell of these insurance products is stopped it is putting me off buying cars and a lot of people must be unaware they are buying them as they are being hidden in the cost of the car.The latest one I heard was at a Ford dealer for chip repair insurance £200 for 12 months.I would write to your MP .
Thanks tim , yes getting out of control prices are almost the same as your own car insurance prices

Local MP is on my list of people to write to
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
What you are describing is "mis-selling", and as such I would think the trading standards folk should take an interest. So too should the Insurance Ombudsman, but sadly this is an utterly useless organisation in my experience. Worth a try ... if you like filling in forms!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Chelmersteve;6035 said:
i really don't see you have any complaint. You took out a 3 year policy for which you elected to pay over 12 months. The fact that you no longer have the car is irrelevant. You took out a policy that gave you 3 years cover, that you chose to sell the car is of no concern to whoever sold you the policy. This stuff you say about third party involvement is also, in my opinion, irrelevant - it makes no difference to your lack of eligibility for a rebate.
Suppose you had paid the premium entirely up front - would you have expected to get a refund?
Think of it another way, if you had made a claim in the first few months of the policy you would have expected them to pay up even though you hadn't yet paid in full. You would still have had to pay off the outstanding balance.

Tyre insurance, gap insurance, lifeshine all tend to be 3 year deals and non-transferable, and you don't get anything back if you sell the car before the 3 years is up. They also tend to be nice little earners for the dealers.

As to involving Mini - what's it got to do with them?
I hate to be the voice of reason here, but I actually agree with Steve. Unfortunately due to the nature of gap insurance it has to be paid for in full upfront. The garage has let you spread the cost by getting a 1/3party to give you a loan paying the premium so your covered and charging you a monthly figure to pay back the money.

As with any loan, this needs to be paid back. Think of car loans, you couldn't sell your car and not pay off the rest of the loan. You said yourself that it was 3 year insurance that you pay for over a year so you couldn't have been mis-sold it on that front. The only angle you have if IF they told you it was transferable. Gap insurance can never be transferable because that person, if they claimed would be making a profit on an insurance claim. If the dealer told you it is transferable then try to find a letter, or email with it on. If you cannot then you will not have a leg to stand on. Gap is an FSA monitored product and so the dealer will have paperwork that you signed stating that you agree to its terms, they will have an invoice for the insurance, paid in full and then the 3rd party will have paperwork signed to say that you agree to pay back the amount. Of course if you never signed anything then it is THEM that have no leg to stand on!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was not told I will be paying a 3rd party who have paid the policy in full on my behalf and I wasnt told that the gap insurance has to paid in full.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
This is my opinion and others may not agree but ALL these insurances are a waste of money. Lets look at GAP. It pays out if your car is stolen or written off and pays the differenace between the value now and value when new.( There are different policy as well) What are the odds of your car being stolen or written off. Out of all of us on the forum there have been a few bumps and they are all being repaired and as the car is new it needs to be pretty serious before Gap kicks in. The odds are clearly in the insurance company favour here. As for tyre insurance when did you last have a puncture that could not be repaired and even you have been unfortunate was a new tyre that much more than the premium you payed. I've driven 800,00 miles with only a slow puncture to show for it. If it is a freebie or you've payed next to nothing for cover so be it, but I would suggest if you are thinking of this type of insurance to put the money it would cost in the bank instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
921 Posts
I don't see how this could be mis-selling. Even if you weren't told it wasn't transferable it would have been in the paperwork and you would have had the statutory cooling off period to withdraw from the deal (s).

If, of course, the paperwork didn't include these things that is a different matter.

As to having a problem with a car, of course I would kick up a fuss BUT this isn't a problem with a car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
jrh said:
This is my opinion and others may not agree but ALL these insurances are a waste of money. Lets look at GAP. It pays out if your car is stolen or written off and pays the differenace between the value now and value when new.( There are different policy as well) What are the odds of your car being stolen or written off. Out of all of us on the forum there have been a few bumps and they are all being repaired and as the car is new it needs to be pretty serious before Gap kicks in. The odds are clearly in the insurance company favour here. As for tyre insurance when did you last have a puncture that could not be repaired and even you have been unfortunate was a new tyre that much more than the premium you payed. I've driven 800,00 miles with only a slow puncture to show for it. If it is a freebie or you've payed next to nothing for cover so be it, but I would suggest if you are thinking of this type of insurance to put the money it would cost in the bank instead.
Of course every insurance policy is a waste of money if you don't need to claim on it. Tyre insurance is a funny one, we don't actually sell it down here. That being said, my new place is a new build with lots more developments around it and I am constantly picking up screws and nails! I've been here a month and have already had to replace a tyre, so for me tyre insurance would be great, if only we sold it...

Gap insurance can be a waste of money, if its not needed, but look at it the other way... Can you afford not to have it? If your car was written off (it doesn't take much with modern crumple zones, we've seen R8s written off!)in 2 1/2 years time and you didn't have Gap, you would need to go and get a new car. The insurance would give you market value, let's say 50%. Problem is, you would still have that lovely finance to pay off! Bet you wish you had Gap now! The happy A1 owner with gap would have no fears, as basically, he has just had nearly 3 years of free motoring! The benefit of Gap tends to get clearer, the older the car - therefore the likelyhood of getting written off.

As with any additional products, care has to be taken when selecting to consider if you need it or not. There may not be any value in it for you, but for somebody else, it could well save them their life savings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the mini had runflats , so was the reason for having the tyre insurance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
512 Posts
I have the Audi "GAP" cover, although its actually called "Audi Asset Protection Plus".

It was explained to me that the GAP cover only covers you for the years past 3, so the Asset Protection Plus covers from years 1-3 and GAP on the final year (if you have a 4 year deal for instance...). I was told this is due to the cars value between years 1-3...

I added this option to give me peace of mind. I know that if some idiot (including myself!) writes my car off I am covered for what I paid for the car, including the VAT (basically what I paid at invoice). Audi will also arrange for the replacement car etc...

I paid £250, which for me is a small price compared to the costs if something does happen especially if the car is on finance.

Andrew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Received a letter off the senior manager from the group of the mini's and a cheque for £160

will keep this towards my winter tyres :)
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top