Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

As a fan of the A2, I was going to wait for the new A2 to be launched but I am not very patient and so I had a look at the A1 and was very impressed.

So I have ordered one, built date end of August with delivery (or so they say) late September.

I got a bit carried away with the options and the final bill (1.6tdi S-line) is £26,000
and that is with no radio upgrade, or cruise control.

Black with black and some more black!
18" alloys, etc etc.

Very much looking forward to the delivery date.

Even bought a reg for it.
My wife has A2 EFU (she swears a lot!) on her A2
so I bought A1 EFU to match!!!

Just in case you haven't figured it out I am a huge car fan and have had everything from a Smart car to an 8.2 litre Black cab!!!

So HI everyone, "speak" soon, no doubt.

Steve B

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Hey Steve,
Welcome to the club!

You will find we are more laid back here than other Audi forums... We also have a sense of humour here! ;)

Nice to know you have had an A2... I have had five of them, awesome little cars!

List your A1 spec, sounds like its a bang tidy A1!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Congrats. That is some spec! Thought I'd gone mad on goodies...

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
£26K :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That must include the tech pack and Audi exclusive interior :lol:

Oh and welcome to the forum, now I've got over the shock

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mojito said:
Hey Steve,
Welcome to the club!

You will find we are more laid back here than other Audi forums... We also have a sense of humour here! ;)

Nice to know you have had an A2... I have had five of them, awesome little cars!

List your A1 spec, sounds like its a bang tidy A1!
I will add my spec to the "signature", but it is

1.6 tdi Phantom black S Line
18" Alloys
Tech Pack
Parking plus
Tyre pressure indicators
Hill Hold
Heated/Folding Mirrors
Xenon plus
Open Sky sunroof
Privacy glass
Advanced Key
Climate Control
Auto dimming rear view mirror
High Beam assist
Black Styling pack
Armrest
Service plan
Autoglym Life Shine
Smart Asset Protection.

Just shocked myself doing this, because I have just worked out that the base car cost was only £2,000 more than the cost of the extras !!!! I could have bought TWO A1s.
But that is not the point I guess.

By the way, I am glad that it seems to be an informal forum with a sense of humour!!!

As a scouser (moved "down South" 30 years ago) I have a dreadful sense of humour (or so people tell me!) so I will try to add the occasional smile if I can.

As a dreadful attempt at humour, (forgive me)
I finally decided to go shopping with my wife for the first time today, what a strange thing these shops are
Boots don't sell boots
Currys don't sell curries
Selfridges don't even sell fridges
And Virgin Megastore !!! What a let down!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's easy to get carried away with extras, my little bambino is £25285 but in comparison to my A3 Cabriolet it's a bargain. That car was £36k and I got precisely half back for it 3 years later. There isn't anywhere good to be putting money at the moment, but cars has to be one of the worse!

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
And i thought i was crazy spending 20k :lol:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HI,

oops!!!!

I spotted that there was a problem with the spec, the "configurator" was down when I ordered it and so the salesman had to manually configure the spec.
We had included the Auto Dimming rear mirror option (which includes auto lights and wipers) but that kit is already included in the high beam assist option, and the high beam assist should have been cheaper due to the Xenons!!! (Complicated or what !))

BUT !!!!

I went to the dealer to get this sorted (reduced the cost by £300, great!)
BUT I decided to order even MORE extras. :shock:
I have now added the Phone prep - high (which basically gives me wifi and google earth etc.) :ugeek:
As well as the BOSE and DAB (I hadn't planned to upgrade the sounds but it does seem like a strange thing to leave off with such a high spec.)
That really only left Cruise control and heated seats, there was nothing else to add!!
So I added the heated seats too, but not the cruise control (I have had it on so many cars and viurtually never used it!). I only hope that I don't have to go back to the dealer for anything else, or I will end up adding cruise too!!!!

Hopefully it won't delay the build too much, I can't wait to get my hands on it.

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
WOW! Big spender! Haha ;)

Would have been easier to just tick all the boxes, haha.

You should get the Auto Dimming Mirror for £120? Is that included in the high Beam Assist Pack?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think that you are right,
I was just filling in my "signature" for the forum and when I had finished I thought of just saying "Everything except cruise and full leather". It would have been easier

And yes, the auto dimming mirror and auto lights and wipers is included in the High Beam Assist.

Yes, that is a lot of money for an A1 but when you look at what other car you can buy for the same price, it doesn't seem that bad and a lot of the extras I now have are not even available on other makes.

More money than sense? Possibly, but I have seen the so called "sensible" people in this world and I don't mind being a bit crazy!!

Steve B

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Friends say i'm nuts for spending 20k on one, but as you say find a quality car with all the gadgets, desirability and high resale for the same cash... Not many out there!

And also, you only live once!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
138 Posts
That's a massive spec :cool:

Erm ..... aren't you just a little tempted to wait a bit and order the 2.0 TDI??

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
christam said:
That's a massive spec :cool:

Erm ..... aren't you just a little tempted to wait a bit and order the 2.0 TDI??
Not really,

I have had more than my share of preformance cars (as I say, including my 8.2. litre London taxi and MANY V8s of all descriptons) so I am not looking for performance for this car.

I have a 70 mile round trip to work every day and so I need something that is economical without being boring.
The A1 (in my view) is exactly that, it proves that to have super economy you don't have to buy a boring car.

The fact that the road tax is free every year and it is exempt from the congestion charge, just adds another plus point (which I would lose if I selected the 2.0tdi)

I would be lying if I said that I had not considered a more powerful version of the A1, but on balance, I would either NOT be able to use the power, which would be frustrating, or if I DID use the power I run the risk of more points on my licence.

Call me a boring old F4RT (I am not) but at the moment I am going through a phase where I want an interesting car with adequate performance that is economical. The extras I have gone for make it (in my view) a VERY interesting car, one that I will enjoy driving, and the A1 is unbelievably economical without being slow. To me, a perfect balance.

But I can certainly see your point, add performance to the "package" and WHAT A CAR!!!!!!

Steve B

·
Registered
138 Posts
Completely understand :)

It'll be a great car, especially with all the toys - and specced exactly to your taste :cool:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I REALLY hope I get my A1 soon

Not just because I am impatient (I am).
But it will stop me adding more extras.

I decided that since I have now opted for virtually every option it would make sense to extend the warrantee to the full five years. With all that kit to go wrong the extra £500 seems like a "no brainer"
So I called the dealer (he likes me of course, I wonder why ;) ). Asked for the extended warrantee and suggested that he could throw in the cruise control free of charge???

I will see what he says when he gets back to me!!

That would just leave a seat upgrade but I like the S-Line STD seats anyway !!!!

No more boxes to tick !!!!!

Steve B

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
More extras? NOoooo, haha.

Can i tempt you for the 2.0 TDI... It's only £20 a year RFL ;)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mojito said:
More extras? NOoooo, haha.

Can i tempt you for the 2.0 TDI... It's only £20 a year RFL ;)
Noooooooo.

Stop tempting me!!!!
:D :D :D

It is not the cost of the tax, £20 is not a lot, it is just the IDEA of getting it for nothing. Not to mention the congestion charge. It somehow appeals to me to get these two absolutely free.

So, the only temptation left would be the leather seat upgrade and as I say, I like the S Line seats as they are!!

So that is it, no more extras,no mote ticks, NADA !!!!

I just hope that the extra extras haven't added weeks to the delivery date.

Steve B

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
I hear you... I want the extra Oomph of the 2.0 TDI but want the free RFL and Congestion charge.

My new A1 is in the dealers yard and may have to be put up for adoption! :(

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mojito said:
I hear you... I want the extra Oomph of the 2.0 TDI but want the free RFL and Congestion charge.

My new A1 is in the dealers yard and may have to be put up for adoption! :(
If you could get the 2.0 AND the free tax and congestion charge, then I would switch to that like a shot.

But I guess that you can't have everything. (but believe me I tried!!!)

By the way, this post started off as a quick Hi to everyone.

I guess that it doesn't really match the right section any more!

Perhaps it should be moved?

Steve B

1 - 20 of 42 Posts