Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys/girls i got my car washed today and when i parked it up at home the headlights where fine then when i came back to take a picture of it there was condensation in the passenger headlight and was wondering if anyone else has experianced this on there A1 mines only 3 weeks old and woundered what the dealer can do about this as it shouldn't happen and means there a leak of somesort in the headlight would be great to hear back off you guys/girls thanks :)

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Take it to the dealer... The Audi A2's suffered with this. Either a bulb cover has not been put on correctly or the unit is not sealed properly... A new headlight!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Agreed it shouldn't do it, best to take it beck to the dealers, but you could try a packet of silica gel popped inside.

If you really want to go to town, dry out the inside first with a hairdryer

·
Registered
442 Posts
Was there quite abit of condensation? I know it used to look like I did as i was washing my car
( a patch by the lower area ) by when giving the car a rinse , i put the hose pipe over the headlight and it was if theres a slight lip/gap and the water rinsed it away. Dont know if this is simlar to your? but if not , like said get it back to your dealer , expensive repair repair that will be one day other wise

keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Sorry to Re-ignite an old Thread.

I was wondering if anyone had had an Issue with Condensation inside the Xenon Headlights ? And if so was this issue Fixed by your Dealer ?

I have started to notice some build up of condensation (whilst the car is not in use) within the Headlight Unit. Could this be a fault with the Headlight Unit not being Properly Sealed etc ?

Any Advice Greatly Appreciated ! Thanks

·
Registered
450 Posts
I noticed some in mine too so will be keeping an eye on this topic.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Moj said it could be due to the Headlights not being Sealed Properly ... Will speak to my Dealer in the Morning !

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi there,
First of all don't panic, read your user manual, there it explain that sometimes there might be a condensation on the lamps, this is because of the difference between the heat of the lamp and the cold temperature on the outside. Just physics.
It happen to me once on both lamps the day before it was raining and on the next day extremely sunny.
So the condensation was there. After an hour or so it desapear. There are some post hear that you can read, it is important not to seal the ventilation of the lamps otherwise humidity will be trapped.
I have seen some posts in other blogs, referring to condensation, this also happens to Minis, Jaguar etc,.
Again...read your owner manual. If you have drops of water or the full lamp is condensed then take it to the dealer.

Hope this helps!

Adrian

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
The Audi A2 has the same problems... I have owned five of them and misted headlights are not normal.

It is caused by a bad factory seal of the unit.

I solved my A2 problems by sealing the clamshell edge with clear silicon sealant and some of those moisture packs inside the rear of the headlight.

Don't do this on your A1, get the dealer to exchange the units as moisture and bulbs dont mix.

·
Registered
160 Posts
After opening the cover and changed the HID bulb, my A1 starts to have this slight condensation at the lower part of the headlamp when I switch on the Xenon light in rainy day. This may be caused by the humid air going inside the lampcase at the time I opened the cover (hot humid summer here). I may need to re-open it later at some sunny and dry days.........

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Remove the headlight... Take indoors into the warm, open the bulb service panels and let it dry out.

Then make sure the bulb service panels are fitted properly and refit to the car. :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
I get condensation around the bottom edges of them after washing, I put it down to the size of the headlights and the amount of air inside. You probably wouldn't get it with smaller headlights as there wouldn't be enough air inside to affect a temperature change. That's my opinion from my science knowledge anyway :geek:

·
Registered
97 Posts
The headlight units (the non-Xenon ones anyway) aren't sealed - there's a 'breather tube' which allows air to pass in/out of the headlight. Besides, the manual tells you how to change the bulbs so at some point in the future you're going to have to open them up to replace bulbs.

The seals are quite good anyway, one opening has a rubber cap over the opening, the other has a tightly sealing plastic door with a rubber seal inside.

What I'm going to do is get a big-ish bag of Silica Gel and place it inside the headlight unit behind the plastic door. Just to soak up any moisture inside.

I do notice that I get a little bit of condensation after the car has been washed/wet at the bottom where the DRLs are. Because I have the LED XTEC bulbs in, it's not generating enough heat in that section to evaporate the condensation which is why I'm going to put the little bag of silica gel in to try to resolve it. The condensation usually disappears on its own after a short while anyway but it's a simple job to pop open the lid and put the silica gel bag inside.

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Yep, i used silica gel packs in my A2 headlights... They help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our A1 with zenons misting up on lower section of lights. Now booked into main dealer for headlight modification as updated by audi so the issue is known. Will update when mods done.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Car has been at the Dealers today and They have told me an Update on this has come through from Audi UK. Meaning a certain number of cases must have been reported.

I Will Update you on whats going on ...

The car was Supposed to be back with me today at 6pm .... However no call from the Dealer and they told me they needed the car back by 8am tomorrow. So kind of left me with a bit of Problem if the car isn't ready

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Condensation in the Xenons isn't normal hence why Audi have released an Update for Dealers to address vehicles displaying this as the condensation, depending on severity can cause the Bulbs to Blow etc so I was told by the Master Technician today. Also if its only Minor Condensation once the car has been used and warmed up it should disappear almost immediately if not like in my case after 1 hour of driving then its not normal

·
Registered
14 Posts
MM087 said:
Condensation in the Xenons isn't normal hence why Audi have released an Update for Dealers to address vehicles displaying this as the condensation, depending on severity can cause the Bulbs to Blow etc so I was told by the Master Technician today. Also if its only Minor Condensation once the car has been used and warmed up it should disappear almost immediately if not like in my case after 1 hour of driving then its not normal
Really? The xenons in my Polo have a little condensation :( Will have to get this checked! Thanks for the heads up :)

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
It depends on how much condensation you are getting ... If its a only a bit after a really cold spell for example, then you can expect it due to the temp difference between the inside/outside of the Headlight Unit. But on my A1 about 60% of the Actual Headlight on Both sides is covered even with the Xenons on full beam does not clear this as Expected.

When I went to the Service Desk and checked in, we went through all the List and he Told me Audi UK were aware of the Issue and had issued an Update. Irrespective of this We went out for a 20 Min Road test for the various issues and he said he would expect the condensation to go but when we arrived back at the dealership it hadn't. Not sure if they are going to replace the Headlights or not

1 - 20 of 29 Posts