Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading some Audi material today and it said that you have to fill up with at least a fuel grade of 98 Ron petrol?
I asked someone at Audi and supposively this is true! The ECU will supposively reprogramme itself to run on the 95 ron of normal petrol and, predictably, the car have a little less power.

I'm not sure whether to believe this or not! Does this mean I'll have to use the V-power pump all the time now? :/
This car is already expensive!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I recently saw Fernando Alonso's Ferrari doing two tests using F1 fuel and standard road fuel. Power was the same in the engine but all that was needed was to re-map the engine to help the handling. Really shouldn't mean you have to go a specific pump all the time.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Fezz said:
I was reading some Audi material today and it said that you have to fill up with at least a fuel grade of 98 Ron petrol?
I asked someone at Audi and supposively this is true! The ECU will supposively reprogramme itself to run on the 95 ron of normal petrol and, predictably, the car have a little less power.

I'm not sure whether to believe this or not! Does this mean I'll have to use the V-power pump all the time now? :/
This car is already expensive!
Its crap. :p

Do i have remind who we (my company) sponsor at Le-mans? :p

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AHA, yes I suppose!

Fuel tank, approx. 60 ??? Litres (approx.)
Performance data

Top speed 227 mph
Acceleration 0-62 mph 6,9 Seconds
Fuel consumption

Fuel grade Super plus schwefelfrei ROZ 98

227mph? Jeez, are we still talking about the A1 here?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Fezz said:
AHA, yes I suppose!

Fuel tank, approx. 60 ??? Litres (approx.)
Performance data

Top speed 227 mph
Acceleration 0-62 mph 6,9 Seconds
Fuel consumption

Fuel grade Super plus schwefelfrei ROZ 98

227mph? Jeez, are we still talking about the A1 here?
Is the Audi TT you have at pictures for sale? cuz it looks :twisted: :eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Currently I have a VW Scirocco with the same engine (but 160 bhp). I read an article by Honest John before I had the car saying this highly complex engine should a) run on super unleaded b) have an oil change every year whatever the mileage.
I have taken this advice and fingers crossed it has run superbly to-date.
I would be interested in the 185 bhp A1 but I don't want an automatic and also with a few extras I think it is a bit overpriced (looking at the Audi configurator you can quickly get to £25k).

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just checked and its 98 Premium or 95 premium according to the petrol flap.

So far I have only been using shell normal and seems to run fine. I guess the different petrol might make a difference and the car will ajust itself, but I would hope it adjusts to get the best out of the fuel all the time.

I think its the actually the same engine as the 122 version. It just has the supercharger and the bigger turbo charger added and the stop start system removed.

I might give it a go for a few fill ups with the 98RON for fun, I have tried before and have never been that impressed for the extra price.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think the 122 and the 185 have different compression ratios, ergo the requirement for higher octane fuel.

Wouldn't want to hurt the poor thing anyway, knocking surely can't be good for the health of the compressors.

I'll be filling mine up with the premium stuff from the get go, with any luck might see better fuel economy.... Maybe.

·
Registered
619 Posts
My little 1.2 runs a lot nicer on Tesco 99 octane fuel - not sure if I could claim it is worth the extra, but it definitely makes the car more responsive and easier to achieve the MPG I want

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tallguy said:
Currently I have a VW Scirocco with the same engine (but 160 bhp). I read an article by Honest John before I had the car saying this highly complex engine should a) run on super unleaded b) have an oil change every year whatever the mileage.
I would be interested in the 185 bhp A1 but I don't want an automatic and also with a few extras I think it is a bit overpriced (looking at the Audi configurator you can quickly get to £25k).
Ah man, the s-tronic is fantastic! I 'm used to an auto now but I must say, I don't want to go back to manual....too much work!

Yeah it gets expensive, i'm ordering mine hopefully this saturday...i'll update on the final cost :p

I think i'll run it on th better go-juice....just in case! :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That 99 ron 'Momentum' fuel from Tesco is suppose to be really good!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have just driven my 185 from Leicester to Zagreb. As you can imagine it's had plenty of fill-ups on the way. 95 all the time, with a variety of makes of petrol (dealer said 95, don't waste money on 98). Drove beautifully. Of course, the question really bothering me now is would it have been even better if I'd used 98?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm. good question.....GRRRRR! Problem is you don't really know do you? I've calculated that in aberdeen for a 60 litre tank, you're only £3.00 more to fill up!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Onlooker said:
I have just driven my 185 from Leicester to Zagreb. As you can imagine it's had plenty of fill-ups on the way. 95 all the time, with a variety of makes of petrol (dealer said 95, don't waste money on 98). Drove beautifully. Of course, the question really bothering me now is would it have been even better if I'd used 98?
How you enjoying your 185?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Fezz said:
tallguy said:
Ah man, the s-tronic is fantastic! I 'm used to an auto now but I must say, I don't want to go back to manual....too much work!

Yeah it gets expensive, i'm ordering mine hopefully this saturday...i'll update on the final cost :p

I think i'll run it on th better go-juice....just in case! :D
Yeah, the S-tronic shouldn't really be considered an auto, it's a semi. Excellent box, I hate auto's but love the S-tronic.

·
Registered
67 Posts
kalibre46 said:

Yeah, the S-tronic shouldn't really be considered an auto, it's a semi. Excellent box, I hate auto's but love the S-tronic.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Fezz, drives great, can't recommend it highly enough! Been driving in the hills/mountains just outside Zagreb looking at houses. Some of the roads are very narrow and unbelievably steep, but the s-tronic did it's job in normal drive setting very well. That's the circumstance when I really prefer automatic to manual!

·
Registered
67 Posts
kalibre46 said:

I have had two Stronics so far TT coupe & TTS roadster the A1 185 will be my third and I wouldn't be without it. I had to take the TTS back for an Audi recall (software fix) to adjust the gearbox temperature warning cutout value, I never had any problems but took it back anyway.

I only put standard fuel in my TTS , 2.0 litre turbo & supercharger and It's still bloody quick
last week I drove to manchester trafford centre on motorways and A roads a 120 mile round trip @ 31.8 mpg.
Also Modern engines have anti knock sensors and automatically advance / retard the engine dependent on quite a number of things which also take into account fuel 95 / 98.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The following information may or may not be of relevance. It is copied from my Mercedes Owners manual:
"
If the recommended fuel is not available, but only as a temporary measure, you may also use regular unleaded petrol, 91 RON/82.5 MON. This may reduce engine performance and increase fuel consumption. Avoid driving at full throttle.
In some countries, the fuel grade available may not be adequate and could cause residue to build up around the inlet valves. In such cases, and in consultation with a Mercedes-Benz Service Centre, the petrol may be mixed with the additive recommended by Mercedes-Benz (part no. A000989254510). You must observe the notes and mixing ratios specified on the container "

From the above, I would guess that the same may apply where 98 Ron is recommended, and a lower grade is used.

I have not picked up my car yet, and I'm new to the Audi, so if anyone can refer to their manual in order to see if the same is true?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.