Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've ordered an A1 in S-line trim and retained the original 17" alloys as I think they look pretty smart, and a little similar to the alloys in my existing car...

Anyway I've read differing reports on the harshness of ride (a more prevalent concern, what with the poor quality of roads these days!), so I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether it really is bone-jarring?!

I'm downsizing (preferable to downgrading!) from an Audi TTS where I usually leave it off Sports suspension mode. It is also on 19" wheels and run-flats.

Is anyone able to make a comparison in ride comfort between these 2 cars? Or from similar riding cars such as M-series BMWs, etc??

Thanks for any opinions :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was very critical of the ride in our s-line as we're on 18" rims until I realised that it had come through the PDI with tyres at 40psi......

They should be 28 and 32!!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry mate, what is PDI?

And that is a massive difference in psi...potentially quite dangerous! Is it more comfortable now that the psi is as it should be?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Really can't imagine it's that bad at all, I've come from a TT S-line on 19's (non run flat) to an A1 sport on 16's so a reasonably similar situation and the A1 is unbelievably squishy and comfortable in comparison, too bouncy in my opinion.

Saying that, I never found the TT to be too harsh so imagine the A1 S-line could be pretty much perfect.

I've also driven a 118 M-sport with run flats and that was dreadful, felt like it had square tyres and that was compared to my TT!!

Oh and PDI is the inspection that the dealer does before handing over the car. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Richie,

You are coming from exactly the same viewpoint! Were you sad to leave the TT, I know I will be, although the extra spare cash will more than make up for it.

Anyway did you TT have magnetic-ride? I don't activate mine and I still find it harsh...maybe I'm soft though ;-)

And come to think of it, I've read other threads where the 1-series is really harsh, that must be where I've got this idea that A1s in S-line can be harsh.

Anyway if yours is a bit squishy, hopefully mine will be a little firmer and be an adequate compromise!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes very very sad to leave the TT, but the A1 is less than half price so certainly makes up for it a little bit! :)

Mine didn't have mag ride however being the S-line it did have the lowered sports suspension, probably not quite as harsh as the TTS though...

I'm sure that the A1 will most definitely feel much more comfortable for you.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a Sport with 16 inch wheels and I wouldnt want it any firmer. I've come from a BMW 320d MSport with run flats and it's a little bit softer than that but not too much. I realise now that a comfortable ride at all times is prerable to being able to whizz round the occasional bend. Don't see the point now in having a bone shaker. If you stand back and think about it, surely comfort behind the wheel is one of the main priorities. Marketing people may try to convince us otherwise.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I have an s-line on 18s and I really don't understand where people are coming from when they say the ride is shaking their fillings out, it may be firmer than what they are used to, but in no way is it overly firm or crashy.

We also have a TT which runs on 19s and that is firmer.

Personal preference, I like they way the car feels, you want floaty bouncy, get a Jaguar :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
My mum recently traded her TT S-Line in for a A1 S-Line and I asked her what she thought of the ride and she said it's a a a much less harsh suspension than her TT. She just misses the "poke" her TT had. I have driven her A1 and thought the ride was very nice indeed. She has just the standard S-Line specced tyres though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have gone from A3 S-line Black Edition on 18" rims to A1 1.4 Sport with Sport suspension on 16" rims and the ride is a little softer than my old A3. I think it is both a question of personal preference and the type of roads you drive on. I live in rural Devon and whilst the A3 was very comfortable on the Motorway and many A roads, the ride was very hard on rural roads.

To some degree I still have this problem with my A1, but to a lesser extent. If you were happy with the ride in your TT I see no reason why you would find the ride in the A1 on 18" rims to be any worse and it will probably appear softer to you.

I am sure you will enjoy your new A1. I certainly don't feel deprived in anyway with mine, as against my old A3.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

I have just got my Audi A1 S Line with the standard s line alloys. I have moved from a 1 Series SE with run flat 16 alloys and I haven't really noticed much of a difference. I too was worried as my Fiancee' has tremendous problems with her back and is looking like it is going to be fused together anyway, I was really worried that perhaps it was going to be harsh but she says it feels the same as the BMW. I've been in a couple of M Sport 3 Series and they feel firmer, but it always feels different when you are the passenger in my opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All,

I have the S-Line 18" alloy combo and find it ok - firm, yes, tooth-rattling probably an exaggeration in my humble opinion. I'll admit this type of ride is my preference - prior to the A1 I had an S-line A6 on 19" alloys, and an S-line A4 before that.

For other folks of course the ride may be not for them, so I guess for anybody in the 'pre-buy' decision stage, probably best if you can to get a test drive, of the configuration(s) you are considering.

Certainly the subjective views of others can help make the decsion to an extent, but I would suggest that this is such a key 'smile or frown' factor in the overall ownership of the car that the decision needs to be made based on practical experience of the car if possible.

Bottom line is that whatever ride type you go for, the A1 won't disappoint. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Fully agree with readam , totally happy with the ride on our a1 sline on 18" 7 arm twin spokes , I have a s5 on the same wheels but on a 20" rim so may be used to it but it's not overly firm .

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thanks for these positive replies on the sline and wheel options. Makes me feel a little less worried about my order

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have found the ride is far better than my last to a4 sline's,the only gripe is the road noise on bad road surfaces but that maybe down to the bridgestones.I personally prefer continetals myself

·
Registered
17 Posts
Swg79 said:
Sorry mate, what is PDI?

And that is a massive difference in psi...potentially quite dangerous! Is it more comfortable now that the psi is as it should be?
PDI = Pre Delivery Inspection

Supposed to be done by someone of master tech level (somebody qualified to identify faults) but generally done by the newby or apprentice in my experience! So perhaps I should have checked my tyres sooner

Rides much better now. The "shake your fillings out" comments were an attempt at sarcasm but that's obviously wasted on the vast majority of punters on here.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.