Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 343 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right people can we discuss MPG please, and letting the engine "run in" etc... Because it looks like I'm getting quite a low MPG reading in comparison to past cars (this is my first NEW car) even when I do drive "sensibly" I've done about 450 miles so far. (1.4 TFSI S-tronic, S-Line by the way)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have done nearly 2000 miles now but all in town driving and learners... 1.6TDI between a very low 48.1 in the snow earlier this week to yesterday 48.6.

·
Registered
108 Posts
1.4 TFSI Sport 600 miles. Average 43mpg to date. Mostly motorway but some town/traffic as well. Hoping this will improve as the mile go on and the engine beds in.

·
Registered
39 Posts
hi karen, are you bit disappointed with around 48mpg ? once run in im hoping for around 52mpg from my A1 for tuition which is what ive been getting with my last 4 mini cooper Ds.
Im hoping to get duals from He man around end of 1st week in jan or into week 2, been long wait considering my A1 was available from launch day . Lucky you getting gettin duals early.
So are you glad you bought A1 and you prefer it to your fiesta ??

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the A3 1.6 SE (petrol)...08 plate
As from new ive never realy noticed any difference in fuel improvement,im on average getting 33mpg ,
However as time went on and the engine loosened i noticed alot quicker exeleration/performance.
But having said this i believe Audi did improve there engines towards the end of 08 after i bought mine.
With the A1 been lighter shell and with a more modern efficient engine id be happy with around 45mpg.
I also think with all this cold weather we are using the electrics/controls more which adds more load.
just looking at the a1 brochure for the 1.4tfsi it says 53.3 mpg combined rd conditions.
the 1.6tdi - 70.6mpg combined rd conditions.
it also states youl probably get an average of 8 mpg more in extra urban conditions.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I can't really tell the MPG yet. Most days I am running the engine on the drive whilst scraping all the ice and snow off it, so not contributing to good figures! Have spent quite a high proportion of my driving in queues too.

I will have to wait and see what it's like when weather returns to more 'normal' temps.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Rob, so pleased you can pick up your car soon, I only got about 50mpg from my fiesta 1.4TDI so not too much diff at mo, am hoping it will improve.

yes I am so pleased with my A1, so are all my pupils and a few old ones who have passed want to have a drive, it also has a much better grip on the snow, the fiesta had low impact tyres which slipped on the snow and I was forever replacing tyres after going down pot holes.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have owned several cars from new,all petrol.I have found the MPG is higher after about 6000 mls.I never get as high as the combined figure.The best MPG I ever got is in my wifes petrol C1 which will do 60mpg without trying.I am going to start using it for work when my A1 arrives.If you need a second car the C1 is ideal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
come on guys i got my car to enjoy it i dont really care what the mpg is as long as driving it makes me happy its money well spent on fuel in my book

·
Registered
442 Posts
Crosara said:
Right people can we discuss MPG please, and letting the engine "run in" etc... Because it looks like I'm getting quite a low MPG reading in comparison to past cars (this is my first NEW car) even when I do drive "sensibly" I've done about 450 miles so far. (1.4 TFSI S-tronic, S-Line by the way)
you getting 450 miles out a full tank or have only covered 450miles up to yet ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
daytonasliner said:
Crosara said:
you getting 450 miles out a full tank or have only covered 450miles up to yet ?
450 miles in the car so far, (=

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
we got 450kms out of a tank in the 1.4, mostly short trips in the city, in cold weather.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does anyone know if the mileage is better on the SE, Sport or S-Line model. Considering that the tyres, weight, aerodynamics and suspension differ on all models... I guess that they have taken the best of the bunch and added the stats to each?

I mean, you can get 18" tyres which would increase drag, the diffuser on the S-Line might make a little differences as well as the larger type spoiler and front splitter also the ground clearance on the Sport and S-Line will be less.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Experiencing similar problems. I have been driving my A1 (1.4 TFSI S-Line) for just over a month now and no matter what I do I don't seem to be able to achieve anything above 37mpg. A vast majority of my journeys to date have been on the motorway and the low mpg has surprised me somewhat based on the advertised figures given in the A1 literature. I have been back to the garage twice in relation to this issue and they have assured me that everything is working correctly, and as you suggest, apparently it may improve as the engine beds in. But with 1500 miles on the clock (having been driving around France over the holiday period) I remain to be convinced......

I suspect a bit of false advertising. I bought the car partly due go the advertised fuel economy figures and downsizing from a much larger BMW, but in actual fact the running costs between the two based on current figures appear to be negligible. A bit of a disappointment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Forgot to mention; I have been sticking religiously to using the efficiency programme and cruise control but this appears to make no difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cm6017 said:
Forgot to mention; I have been sticking religiously to using the efficiency programme and cruise control but this appears to make no difference.
At 37mpg you are getting just 4mpg more than my Land Rover Discovery weighing in at 2.7 tonnes!

Cruise control is not an aid to fuel efficency it does no more than maintain a constant speed regardless of terrain.
It will not anticpate downhill sections and will chase the speed on uphill climbs. For someone with no forward anticipation at all it will even out the peaks and troughs but is not economical motoring.

I suggest no more than 65mph on motorways, anticipate changes in road terrain and allow speed to fall and rise with the prevailing conditions.

I had a sport with the same engine as yours for a longish test drive and managed an indicated 50mpg very easily and without dawdling....

·
Registered
442 Posts
If your concerned over the mpg , id put a quick letter together in writing to the car dealer so if things dont improve. Least youve told them about it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Cm6017 said:
Experiencing similar problems. I have been driving my A1 (1.4 TFSI S-Line) for just over a month now and no matter what I do I don't seem to be able to achieve anything above 37mpg. A vast majority of my journeys to date have been on the motorway and the low mpg has surprised me somewhat based on the advertised figures given in the A1 literature. I have been back to the garage twice in relation to this issue and they have assured me that everything is working correctly, and as you suggest, apparently it may improve as the engine beds in. But with 1500 miles on the clock (having been driving around France over the holiday period) I remain to be convinced......

I suspect a bit of false advertising. I bought the car partly due go the advertised fuel economy figures and downsizing from a much larger BMW, but in actual fact the running costs between the two based on current figures appear to be negligible. A bit of a disappointment.
I would wait until the warmer weather and 5000 miles is up then check it via fillups and not the computer.Also try out different filling stations and brands.I will be doing a lot of mpg checks when I get mine but I am not expecting much over 40.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Cm6017 said:
I don't find the efficiency program that much efficient, and the cruise control can actually get you to spend more fuel.

What makes you spend more or less fuel is pressing the accelerator more or less. If the cruise control is turned on, you are forcing the engine to accelerate while climbing to maintain speed, thus spending more fuel. With the cruise control off, what happens if driving economically is that you lose speed while climbing, exactly because you don't want to press the accelerator.

Regarding the gear change indicator, I actually don't think it helps either. Maybe theoretically that's the spot where you should change gear, considering all the variants in that instant, but what if those variants are about to change? The computer can't see what comes ahead, only you can. So it tells you to change from 4th to 5th gear right before you start climbing that hill, or right before you get to that truck and need to overtake it, but should you make that change? I don't think so, as you'll need the power just a few seconds later, and if you're in 5th gear you will have to press the accelerator a bit harder, thus spending more fuel. I see it merely as an indicator.

What I try to do is always be in the highest gear possible that allows me to have the engine running around 2000 rpm while pressing the least possible the pedal.

My total average is around 47 mpg, with no economic concerns.
In those journeys I do try to save some fuel I can get to 56mpg, and I've even done a 15mn journey that ended with a brilliant 68 mpg average.

Also I find the instantaneous mpg info on the DIS to be very useful if you want to understand what makes you spend more or less.

1 - 20 of 343 Posts