Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've got to the point in my spec sorting where I'm reviewing extras such as GAP insurance.
I've been convinced that it's worth it especially as I'm going for lots of optional extras on my new A1 and have heard that in the case of total loss fully comp insurance is unlikely to cover the cost I paid for all the extras and would pay out on or around the list price for the car - is this right?

I think GAP insurance sounds like a relatively low price to pay for such peace of mind. I've found a quote of around £200 for 4 years (I'm getting a personal loan over 4 years so this makes sense) this was from.

Has anyone used www.ala.co.uk?

Can any one advise me what level of cover I should select? (£12,000? £17,000? £20,000? - this confuses me a bit) My car is going to cost around £20,000 to £21,000 once I've ordered I think. Is the level of cover just the GAP amount - obviously my insurer would pay out some. Can't figure this one out.

Cheers ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,

This is something i am interested in, I have ordered my A1 and have my actual insurance covered it is just the GAP insurance i am unsure of. I am told that most insurance policys cover new for old in the first year and that you should look into getting GAP insurance from the second year onwards?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think they do cover old for new but the issue of all the optional extras that you've paid to be added on is still a bit unclear. Also I think you have to buy the GAP insurance quite early on anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looks like i am going to have to look into all this then as i got a bit confused like yourself as to what amounts i should enter. I do know they are two types but apart from that i am not going to be of much use to you!

:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've bought mine from ala.co.uk. You have the choice of two policies - return to invoice and vehicle replacement.

Return to invoice will make up the difference between the insurance payout and the actual price paid. Vehicle replacement will pay out the difference between the insurance and the cost to buy the same spec at the prices at the time of write-off.

Take cover which will cover the cost of extras plus £5000. If you use Quidco, do it through them and you'll get 10% cashback.

PF. Xx

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks purplefeet!

Yeah, I'm with Quidco so I'll remember to shop through them.

Thanks for the tips x

·
Registered
679 Posts
I think the best way to work GAP out is, price what your car will be worth in 4 years time & subtract it from the invoice price that will give u your GAP claim limit add a few thou to be safe. I would go for Vechile Replacement GAP insurance which is more expensive but with all the extras your adding to your car there will be no worries if Audi put their prices up in the future. Just my thoughts. Good luck :)
P.S. Try Easygap.co.uk

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks mah006 - I will definitely look into that. Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey Guys,

Just to reignite an old topic; my car is due at the dealers in the next "7 to 10 days", so I'm trying to sort out the little details now, such as GAP insurance. This thread has been particularly good in explaining it, but I just want to confirm a few things.

Am I right in saying that 'return to invoice' basically covers the difference between the insurance payout, and the figure I have on my invoice sheet. Whereas 'vehicle replacement cover' covers the difference between the insurance payout and the cost of the exact car I purchased, at the time of the right-off (irrespective of price increases at Audi).

Ok, so assuming I have understood that correctly, the final thing I want to wrap my head around is: In the hopefully unlikely event that I write the car off, I now have the car insurance and gap insurance money (let's say £19,000)...what do I do with that money then?? It may seem like a silly question, but I'm an amateur at the PCP thing. I'm assuming I pay off the remaining finance on the written off car, but then I'm still left with a lump of cash. What is the purpose of this remaining cash?

1. Is it for use as a deposit and to pay off some of the monthlies on a new PCP deal?

2.Is that the benefit of 'vehicle replacement' as opposed to 'return to invoice' in that I just might end up with a few extra quid to cover any potential increase in price?

3.Is the idea to ensure that you end up with enough cash to then re-buy the car, and pay off as much as you had already paid off the written-off car, thus leaving you in an identical situation as before the crash?

Sorry for the essay guys (always seems to happen when I write on here). As per usual, any advice would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got the gap for free too :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Rojibo said:
I managed to do most of my haggling over my monthly payments, and my salesman is a nice guy so I didn't want to take the p***! When he quoted me for the GAP, I said there and then I wasn't going to pay the price, and he was fine with that, so I was hardly going to walk away over the sake of £100 or so.

Out of interest, what type of cover do Audi provide? Sure they said it was 'return to invoice'? I'm after 'vehicle replacement' anyway, so long as I have understood the details properly...and so you can shove your free GAP where the sun doesn't shine!! :D

·
Registered
637 Posts
End of the day he gets his yearly pay and his commission so hardly taking the piss, you're the one laying down all the money so haggle hard! I was relentless and got free wheels, technical pack, GAP, tank of fuel and a few A1 accessories like keyring, leather key cover, lanyard etc on top of them offering the car to me at cost price in the first place :lol:

But with regards to their GAP, after you've received your insurance pay out, they will cover every remaining penny to the price on your original sales receipt.

·
Registered
51 Posts
ONE said:
End of the day he gets his yearly pay and his commission so hardly taking the piss, you're the one laying down all the money so haggle hard! I was relentless and got free wheels, technical pack, GAP, tank of fuel and a few A1 accessories like keyring, leather key cover, lanyard etc on top of them offering the car to me at cost price in the first place :lol:

But with regards to their GAP, after you've received your insurance pay out, they will cover every remaining penny to the price on your original sales receipt.
You got polygon's and the technology pack for free? And the car at cost price? What did you do, hold him to knife point? I don't see the point in Audi doing that for you. Are they not trying to make money from selling these cars?

And the point I was making was more to do with my relationship with my dealer. I don't really care about how much money he earns off my back, I was more concerned with him thinking I was being dickhead, and thus not exactly doing his utmost best to get my order processed efficiently and keep me in the loop etc. As it is, I got what I feel was a good deal, and he's been nothing but helpful post-sale and has kept me fully informed without me needing to call him once. Of course, that's what you'd expect when your paying that much money for a car, but that isn't always the reality if you've wound your dealer up by trying to haggle over everything.

Congrats on the free gear though; very impressive haul.

·
Registered
51 Posts
ONE said:

Although, from looking at the images in your signature, it seems you paid for the armrest?? You've been mugged off mate! :lol:

·
Registered
637 Posts
No lol, it was the case that they were giving away about 30 cars at cost price from the A1 to the A8, but my car wasn't in the offer. But because it was on display in the show room I managed to get an exceptional deal on it and keep a good relationship with the whole place, not just that one dealer lol they're all really helpful. ;)

And yeah the only down side was that :lol: If I put it on the price of the car they had to fit it, if I bought it separately it wouldn't be covered in the extended warranty or GAP. So i'm happy to lose a few quid on that cause i'll probably break it from leaning on it :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
89raikessj said:
Rojibo said:
I didn't want to take the p***!
I'm quite friendly with my sales bloke too, infact I believe we've bought about 8 cars off him over the past 6 months. But at the end of the day, its business.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts