Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a Driving Instructor i am going to need a full size spare wheel,do any other ADI`s have one and if so
where did you get it? I have an SE on order with standard alloys..

·
Registered
114 Posts
Steven said:
As a Driving Instructor i am going to need a full size spare wheel,do any other ADI`s have one and if so
where did you get it? I have an SE on order with standard alloys..
Why do you need a full size spare? When did you order/expecting your SE.

·
Registered
921 Posts
There are other members using A1 as driving school cars - not heard of any of them having any spare wheel, let alone a full size one. I think you would have trouble stowing a full size one - do you have the battery in the boot?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Full size spare wheel is for driving tests, space savers or tyres with foam in them are limited to 50 mph and therefore
not permited on a driving test.I have had a puncture on the way to a test before and had i not had a full size spare for my swift the test would not have been taken.Not only tests it would be inconvienient on a normal lesson to be restricted by speed,then getting it fixed etc.Not sure about battery in the boot but will have to fit it in somehow.I ordered my SE on november 15th and still no build date..

·
Registered
114 Posts
Steven said:
Full size spare wheel is for driving tests, space savers or tyres with foam in them are limited to 50 mph and therefore
not permited on a driving test.I have had a puncture on the way to a test before and had i not had a full size spare for my swift the test would not have been taken.Not only tests it would be inconvienient on a normal lesson to be restricted by speed,then getting it fixed etc.Not sure about battery in the boot but will have to fit it in somehow.I ordered my SE on november 15th and still no build date..
Steve

A full size spare will not fit easily below the boot floor. It is designed for a space saver wheel only. What you could do is contact the dealer when you get your car and get them to order up an additional alloy to match the existing 4 they will know the part no. Get a tyre fitted, and simply keep it loose in the boot of the car. Keep it in the garage when not doing tests/lessons. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think another alloy is the only option,i`m sure there are steels out there that would fit but an alloy would look better,this was the idea from my dealer who has tried to find a spare for me but not been able to so far.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Another option maybe Ebay, sooner or later someone will be bored with the standard SE Alloys and put them up for sale. Try ebay.de as well.

I cant believe your dealer cannot fine you a spare. I would ask him for the Audi part number and try to source it yourself someone will be selling them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only place my dealer has tried so far is the audi parts department for a steel wheel,and he offered to hunt around elsewhere as well but have not spoken to him yet,told him i would ask on here first,i would like another alloy but only at a reasonable price.
There is also the possibility of using another VAG steel wheel if i can find one that fits.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mytyres.co.uk sell steel wheel sets (with Winter Tyres for the A1), if you contact them they could probably give you a price for a single wheel with a normal summer tyre fitted.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Welcome :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Standard SE alloy wheel part number is 8x0 601 025 , You do not need the centre trim as you can use the existing one.

Steel rim 8x0 601 027 is slighty thinner 6.0j as apposed to 6.5j so you would have to check the standrd tyre would be O.k..

Why the dealer cannot find these part numbers is beyond me as they are on ETKA. The Audi/VW computerised parts list.

I'

·
Registered
39 Posts
hi steven, im an adi and ordered a space saver, £150 quoted. i ordered it when i picked car up 3-4weeks ago still waiting on it.ive got s-line tdi and decided on space saver to fit in boot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rscrob64 said:
hi steven, im an adi and ordered a space saver, £150 quoted. i ordered it when i picked car up 3-4weeks ago still waiting on it.ive got s-line tdi and decided on space saver to fit in boot.
My only concern is that the spacesaver has a 50mph speed limit which is not permited on tests.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Can anyone tell me why you can't use a spare wheel rated @ 50mph when learner drivers are restricted to 45mph?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Eddie1 said:
Can anyone tell me why you can't use a spare wheel rated @ 50mph when learner drivers are restricted to 45mph?

LEARNER DRIVERS arnt restricted to 45mph.(uk) they can drive upto the legal limit like anyone else..
:?:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.