Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me thats getting totally hacked off with the price of fuel. VAT and a few pence per litre are going to push prices to record levels. But why is this and where is the conservaties pledge to put some sort of levelling system in place to ride out the peaks and troughs of the price of crude. Plus the fact that oil prices are led by speculation by people with big houses in major cities that actually dont need to drive to get to work.
The issue comes when shops have to raise there prices to cover the increasing costs of transport then to top it off the new level of VAT on those increased prices nets the goverment even more cash so its a double win for them.
Where does all the money go we give the government. I'm sure some goes to building new roads in rural France so a French Farmer can get his baguet 2 minutes quicker and some goes to people that use my taxes so they dont have to work and just procreate till they have 16 kids. I certainly have not seen an improvment in the road network or any transport system for that matter.
Anyway rant over and I'm just going out to sell my first child so I fill my tank up.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Was chatting with father in law on Christmas day and we mentioned all the fuel protests when we went through £1 per litre. We are now at least 25% above that... and the A1 isn't very economical at this stage!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Would much rather pay higher VAT than higher income tax, as that only hurts the ones that work, at least everyone pays the same VAT.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point. I agree.
I'd still like to see something done about the price of Oil as the price seems to have nothing to do with supply and demand but people speculating.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Not exactly germane to the discussion, but I did some batting around in excel with comparing the diesel 1.6 to the petrol 1.4 - both manual. Taking into account the £650 difference between their 2 prices, fuel/litre cost, published mpg, difference in VED rates for 2nd years - but not the one insurance group difference or any difference in servicing costs...

Seem to take about 6 years to payback the extra for the diesel at 12,000 ml/yr, just under 4 years @ 24K ml/yr and just under 3 years @ 36K ml/yr.

I would assume the diesel is more expensive to service but as its cheaper to insure it might work out about even on those figures.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would be intersting to factor in residuals in your equation and see what the 3 year picture looks like then. It's complicated whatever the case.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Heres the table I got - 3 columns for 12/24/36K miles/year - rows for years - numbers are for the difference between them - when it goes from negative to positive, the diesel becomes cheaper - the nearer it is to zero at the year boundary the closer the break even is to the end of the year.

12000.00 24000.00 36000.00
1 year 589.55 529.10 468.64
2 years 519.55 338.19 217.29
3 years 389.10 147.29 -34.07
4 years 258.64 -43.62 -285.43
5 years 128.19 -234.52 -536.78
6 years -2.26 -425.43 -788.14
7 years -132.71 650.00 650.00

I've ordered the petrol - a) for better performance and b) as I do less than 10K per year - though that will change in the next few years probably as I'll do more travelling for work - but it will probably still be less than 16K/year - which should suit the 5 years I expect to keep it (I ordered the 5 year service/warranty extension too).

M.

·
Registered
445 Posts
My wifes got the answer her Citroen C1 cost less than half my A1, does 60mpg, £20 road tax and group 1 insurance! She was going to change it but with the price of fuel we will keep it.Its no A1 but fine as a second car or for work.It is about time fuel prices are sorted out.I am sure there will be protests soon.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Well, we're paying 1.45 Euro in Germany, and thats for regular fuel. We tank VPower 100, which is 1.68 Euro a liter.

Diesel here is cheaper, but the Road Tax is about 3x more per annum (the A1 was 32 Euro for the year, 1.4 TFSi).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So it's not just us in th UK that are paying the earth.
It's just a matter of time before our French friends get the hump and blockade the ports etc . I think the poor economies of Europe possibly put people off action of this type as every penny counts at present, but if things get worse with fuel prices some action is inevitable.

·
Registered
274 Posts
And those fun loving yanks will kill us all with global warming - and all without the penalty of having to pay for it.

And if not that, then by some of their other favourite pastimes like friendly fire and picking unwinnable fights.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Yanks are nothing compared to China . Spent best part of the last 2 years there on and off and their CO2 emmissions make our reduction targets insignificant. Car ownership is growing faster than anywhere on the planet. We'll all pay the price for cheap DVD players and TV's

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well I sold my Maserati 4200cc and purchased the A1. I therefore think it's the most economical car on the planet, guess it's all about perspective ;-)

·
Registered
21 Posts
1,39 Pounds (1,64 EUR) for a liter Regular in The Netherlands

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
U.S. Forces personnel (Military and U.S. Civilian) in the UK pay approximately 63p per litre for Petrol and 68p per litre for Diesel. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
BigDeuce451 said:
U.S. Forces personnel (Military and U.S. Civilian) in the UK pay approximately 63p per litre for Petrol and 68p per litre for Diesel. :mrgreen:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Fook me that's nearly cheaper than stateside

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
From Oct 2009 to Sept 2011 I was paying U.S. prices for diesel fuel in the UK. Now I've got to pay normal UK prices. Sucks, but I choose to live here. Don't hate the player.....hate the game. :D :cry:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts