Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I ordered the chip Express part on Monday am, it arrived at 10 today ( Tuesday ) read in instructions and then went out to the car to fit. Can I just say I am not technically minded or in any way a motor engineer!

1. Removed the engine cover ( just pops off )
2. Popped out the sensor plug on the end of the rail sensor ( pull clip back and it pulls off )
3. Clipped on the tuning cable to end of rail sensor and the Audi one taken out into a split cable slot ( see pic )
4. Clip on Chip Express box to end of split cable
3. Pop tuning box ( size of a pack of cards ) into the water resistant felt bag and Velcro to car ( see pic )
4. put engine cover back on
5. Start engine and test drive

Results are

I cant believe the difference in torque and BHP, the car pulls with no throttle delay and keeps pulling, I have not tested yet but I would guess its knocked 2 seconds on 0-60 figs and much quicker in all gears.

The unit comes set up for max mpg ( they recon it gives more mpg than standard set up ) but you can move the unit for + or -

I have been told that I should run the car for a few hundred miles while it re tunes itself, I can then move the BHP up to 140 plus but I think this would hinder the mpg a little, its currently set at about 132bhp

For £395 I feel this was money well spent and the car now seems much livelier and pulls better in all gears at all rpm

Some pics are here plus some pics of the inside of the car which others asked me to post, final point, really happy with the A1 S line, it's a great daily car which I am using in conjunction with my R8 Spyder, I feel I am doing my bit for the enviro!!
Pics here; gallery/album.php?album_id=23

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is definitely something that I am looking into! will let my bank balance recover a bit first though...

Just one (probably stupid) question about your pictures, the one of the gear knob only has gears R, 1-5 (as far as I can see) - Where's 6th!!! or have I completely miss-read the meaning of 6-speed?

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
1.6 Diesel is only 5 gears, plus reverse.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Interesting. What does it do to the throttle map? (if anything). My only criticism of our TDi so far is the way that Audi have mapped the throttle, and its two stage spring. They have deliberately put very little "bite" in the early part of the throttle travel, which rather annoys me. Does this chip alter that?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does seem to have done, i read what you said on this and had to agree, the car now pulls instantly from low revs and speeds through the revs much quicker. have a look at thier web site, the guy was very helpful, i am so impressed i have also ordered a unit for the Wifes X6 3.5.

I have never done anything like this before and i have to say i am happy i have as now for me its a far better drive, being used to over 500 bhp in the Spyder and getting into the A1 is now much more rewarding!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for the reply Colin. I shall file the information for future use. I don't plan on doing anything to the car at the very least until it has had a chance to run in properly. It is of course also my wife's car, and I suspect she wont want me "tinkering" with it! We'll see! ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Great feedback monkey boy, as promised. Thank you!

Your detailed explanation and enthusiastic review make me want to spend the money and get it! Will wait for January, though, as it is still a considerable amount of money and I first want to be sure I want the extra power.

By the way, do you notice any extra smoking? I have seen some cars smoking a lot more after a performance tuning...

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would love go remap my 1.4 TFSI when I get it but how does it effect my insurance at 20?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Kravi, no, none at all, come to think of it there has been no diesel smoke on start up or running you would expect from a diesel car. took the car for a proper drive to get the engine warm as i only tested it cold yesterday, the power is amazing now & it baffles me how they manage to do these things from a box the size of a pack of cards and a cable!

I know what you mean about waiting till after Xmas, its a an expensive time alright!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nipz said:
I would love go remap my 1.4 TFSI when I get it but how does it effect my insurance at 20?
Hi, its not a remap, read this from the web site; http://www.chipexpress.com/

The CHIP Express™ digital diesel tuning system is not a "replacement chip" where your ECU is physically opened and its original chip replaced (thus immediately invalidating your vehicle warranty). Nor is it a "remap" whose settings can be detected and even deleted during routine servicing. The CHIP Express™ plug-in digital tuning system is a sophisticated microprocessor controlled tuning system which will give you substantial, immediate performance and fuel consumption gains

I told my insurance what i was fitting it for fuel economy gains and it moved the policy from £550 to £560

·
Registered
220 Posts
Does the petrol remap increase your MPG?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nipz said:
Does the petrol remap increase your MPG?
Hi Nipz, its not a re map as explained above, also, its only available on the diesel engine, but the MPG should be better unless i turn up the BHP on the unit from the pre set setting

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sorry what I ment was a general remap on a petrol does it increase the MPG?

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
The company in question ONLY deals with Diesel engines, Im asking around for a Petrol tuner!

Cheers

Jae

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Ive sent Supachips (Bluefin) an email asking about plans for the A1, awaiting a reply.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts