Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well guys been out in the car for about 3hrs tonight got home and npticed that while ive washed the windscreen with the washers the headlight jets have come out and the passenger side one will not go back in and is just making a buzzing noise

what shall i do :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
hmm that's strange try activating them again (turn the headlights on and put the washers on) or gently pushing them or pull them a bit maybe a stone got stuck in the mechanism

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ohh dear, doesn't sound good :s

Do you have any pics?

Would deff say take it back to the dealer. I wouldn't expect bits to be dropping off after a few weeks!

Andrew

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
in crewe its -3.5 but they were working in and out all the journey, ive tried turning off asnd pushing and pulleing its stucjk solid you can pull it out a little but when the headlights are on it just keeps buzzing it s outside now with the one stalk sticking out looks a right mess

what should i say to the dealer they know i have a van should i ask for courtesey car

·
Registered
142 Posts
Gaz201 said:
in crewe its -3.5 but they were working in and out all the journey, ive tried turning off asnd pushing and pulleing its stucjk solid you can pull it out a little but when the headlights are on it just keeps buzzing it s outside now with the one stalk sticking out looks a right mess

what should i say to the dealer they know i have a van should i ask for courtesey car
ID just pop in tell them whats happened,get them to have a look while you wait (if you leave it with them itl probably go to the back of the que) , might just be something simple..
Let us no how you get on....

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
DO NOT PUSH OR MAN HANDLE THE WASHER "ALIENS".

What has happened is that the residue from the light wash has frozen the thing in place. Increase your concentration of antifreeze (remember, when you are driving the "wind chill" is more like -8 when its -3.5

It may be that the fuse pops, but that's normal. It will go back in to position!

·
Registered
442 Posts
In weather like this and with the stuff you can muck about with in cars nowadays ( switching things on and off )you'd think you'd be able to switch these things off from working in this weather.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The biggest issue is the mix of the anti-freeze in the washer fluid most garages in the UK water it down hence it freezes.

Generally I usually put the fluid in unmixed this way it doesn't freeze.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ready mixed washer fluid is usually pretty bad, like the washer fluid garages use. Concentrate bottles are better. They also give you an indication of how much concentrate to water ratio should be used in different temperatures. You shouldn't just use concentrate as this can damage the system depending on the agents used. Always make a note of the concentrate levels in your washer reserve so you can add extra when its really cold and also add extra water when its warmer, and you dont want sticky windows. Sounds anal, but you never have a broken or messy car this way.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I picked up a bottle from halford the other day and said to use neat in the winter!

·
Registered
145 Posts
If the headlight washer is frozen making it stick out then why not try a hair dryer on low setting and gently heat the area. This will not damage the paint but may just do the job. Then add good concentrated screen wash as the others suggest.

·
Registered
442 Posts
looked at my screen wash bottle this morning and he said of the ratios , but said in bad winter it said to put it in neat. Gosh your get through a fair bit of it in this weather

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey guys.

had a word with the dealer today they also said its frozen so when i got home i heated it with a hair dryer and bobs ur uncle its working fine again now so ill get some more washer fluid tomorro and sort it out, thanks for all the responce guys :cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
not a proper fault then :) in my profession we call some problems like this PICNIC errors which can be used just as well for cars too! I work in I.T so you get the jist.

Problem In Chair, Not In Car!

well, not really a problem with that in the chair! more like that in the garage :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Glad Gaz201 you got it fixed and it was not serious. In these temperatures it's so easy for things to freeze. I'm guessing there will be a few new A1's that will suffer the same issues as the dealers topped up the washer bottles with less than concentrated solution and by the time you find out it''s to late.

·
Registered
442 Posts
glad to hear it was nothing serious , i know my heart would be going like the clappers if that had happended to mine. A reminder to all , when doing that last min food shop tomorrow add a screen wash to the list

1 - 18 of 18 Posts