Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday (1 February), I tried to fill up my A1, but couldn't put any fuel into my car due to the fuel door not opening. My vehicle was unlocked and I tried to push the fuel door in to spring out unlocked. It wasn't going to happen; it got stuck in towards the fuel cap and would not spring outward. I had to use the wheel nut cover removal tool in the boot to gently pry in open.

I call the Audi dealer in Bury St. Edmunds and booked it in today to be investigated further. They said the rubber seal inside fuel port had been either mis-shaped and/or deformed somehow. This causes the door to stick and not open. The dealer had never heard of this happening to an A1 before. The part was located in Germany as no part was available in England. It will take 7 working days to arrive. At least I can open it using the wheel nut cover removal tool.

Throughout the conversations either on the phone and/or in person, the customer service received from Bury St. Edmunds Audi has been outstanding. The last person I spoke to told me he would call back with an update about part availablity, this call was returned within an hour.....Awesome! :D

If this problem occurs to any other owners out there, don't panic, keep calm and try to gently work the door open or you can call Audi Roadside Assistance for help. Don't freak out and damage your beautiful A1. :cry:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the same, but mine opens but won't stay shut, will be calling in to the dealers tomorrow as didn't get a chance last weekend.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks very much for this info. Let's hope it's not going to be the start of a known problem....

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm taking my A1 in to get the fuel door release fixed tomorrow (3 March). Hopefully it will correct the unlocking problem. :x

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do you think it was maybe the sun reflecting off your glasses that have welded it shut? :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
BigDeuce451 said:
Yesterday (1 February), I tried to fill up my A1, but couldn't put any fuel into my car due to the fuel door not opening. My vehicle was unlocked and I tried to push the fuel door in to spring out unlocked. It wasn't going to happen; it got stuck in towards the fuel cap and would not spring outward. I had to use the wheel nut cover removal tool in the boot to gently pry in open.

I call the Audi dealer in Bury St. Edmunds and booked it in today to be investigated further. They said the rubber seal inside fuel port had been either mis-shaped and/or deformed somehow. This causes the door to stick and not open. The dealer had never heard of this happening to an A1 before. The part was located in Germany as no part was available in England. It will take 7 working days to arrive. At least I can open it using the wheel nut cover removal tool.

Throughout the conversations either on the phone and/or in person, the customer service received from Bury St. Edmunds Audi has been outstanding. The last person I spoke to told me he would call back with an update about part availablity, this call was returned within an hour.....Awesome! :D

If this problem occurs to any other owners out there, don't panic, keep calm and try to gently work the door open or you can call Audi Roadside Assistance for help. Don't freak out and damage your beautiful A1. :cry:
You have to take the key out of the ignition or the fuel door won't open.

·
Registered
921 Posts
PeterInLondon said:
You have to take the key out of the ignition or the fuel door won't open.
Since when? I don't have to remove the key - as long as the car isn't locked the fuel door opens.

·
Registered
142 Posts
maybe when you open the car you have to press the unlock button twice otherwise it may only open the drivers door.
worth a try,although i no some have spoken of having problems in other threads..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi I've had a few problems too. I can't work it out it's quite inconsistent. push pull lock unlock, there are times at the pump that I have got a bit worried. :(

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
BigDeuce451 said:
I'm taking my A1 in to get the fuel door release fixed tomorrow (3 March). Hopefully it will correct the unlocking problem. :x
If you had put your spectacles on that enable you to see the future, you could have gone equipped with the necessary tools ;)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My fuel door has now been fixed. I asked the service personnel if this problem has happened to anyone else since, to which the answer was "no". Previous to this fault occuring I have done everything correctly to operate the fuel door. It took about an hour to replace the defective bits and voila, it's fixed and working as designed. So I'm happy now.

I did think maybe my glasses welded the fuel door closed and/or deformed the seal, this wasn't the case....this time. :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was test driving a TFSi and had the same problem. In the end we had to drive back to the dealership on fumes (well almost!) and they sorted it..... somehow. I would guess that this must be a known issue?
Picking mine up in a few weeks- hoping it isn't a Friday Fuel-cap faulty!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
On reading this thread , ive made sure i topedp up when the gauge went down to last quarter indicator ha ha

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem am taking it to the garage next week to be looked at. Just hoping I don't run out of diesel before then!! I've tried the manual fuel flap release cord in the boot but that doesn't work for me either. The flap is too pushed in and won't click back open. Was standing at the petrol station for 5 mins pressing it to try and open looked like a right idiot!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
la-musica - Take it to the dealer and get it fixed. Mine works as designed now, no further problems......so far.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I saw an A1 today on the way to work, Black Sport with grey contracts lines, oddly enough the one thing I did notice is that his fuel door was open (ajar) not fully open. Maybe it is an area of problems for Audi.

Mike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I booked mine in this week because the door kept popping open but today it wouldn't open at all. Thank goodness I had a full tank of petrol! There's obviously a design flaw somewhere. So much for hassle free driving!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.