Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have an A1 SLine 185 and on three occasions the engine has just cut out whilst driving along quite normally
(not booting it!). The engine restarted no problem. But very embarrassing as on one occasion I was on a roundabout.
Anyone else had this problem. The supplier can find no fault and nothing stored on the computer. Cheers

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
By on a roundabout, do you mean when you stopped at it? Or half way round it?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Does it give any indication it is going to happen, at all? Ie spluttering, or mis-fires, or lack of power?

Does it stop whilst under drive -ie with the engine pulling load - acceleration, or driving - or does it cut out when you lift off the throttle?

Does it cut out when you dip the clutch? Ie when the engine is dropping back to an idle/tick over?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your replies Jolt8631 and Flipper.

Agreed the idea if it stalling when I am in the outside lane is frightening. Agreed it needs to get sorted but how
with no traceability.

Water in fuel is a possibility, no idea how it would get in tank or feed line but it's a possibility.

Any indication? None at all.
Pulling a load? By this I assume you mean other than car and passenger weight, no load.
No spluttering or misfiring indeed all seems normal before and after the engine stops.
Yes it did it to me when I was accelerating onto and hopefully out of a roundabout it stalled halfway
across roundabout.
Dipping clutch? No it doesn't have one it's tip tropic.

Again many thanks for your replies I will look into the possibility of water in fuel. Having said that it has only
done it three times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks 4 ur comment. To be honest did not really notice, I expect so, as a sort of panic sets in ..... as in
turn key off and restart engine post haste with other drivers giving all sorts of weird finger signs!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I have an A1 SLine 185 and on three occasions the engine has just cut out whilst driving along quite normally
(not booting it!). The engine restarted no problem. But very embarrassing as on one occasion I was on a roundabout.
Anyone else had this problem. The supplier can find no fault and nothing stored on the computer. Cheers
Hi, I know this was a fair few years ago you wrote this, just wondering if you ever resolved the issue because I am experiencing the same issue with my A1 S line and every garage I take it to can’t seem to find a fault. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
Regarding Audi A1 Sportback S-Line randomly and dangerously cutting out.
My Daughter’s 2022 model does exactly that, and yes , entering and exiting roundabouts is a particular favourite for this occurring.
Audi U.K. don’t seem to care less, as the Audi Dealer states the vehicle is safe to drive. However, other professional organisations, including DVSA , totally disagree. Audi U.K. admit that they are aware of the issues, and, to quote, are awaiting an update/fix from Audi AG . I have told my Daughter not to drive it anymore, because I believe the known defect would cause her Insurance to be invalidated in the event of a potential RTA. This very serious and potentially lethal defect requires to be in the Public Knowledge as a matter of urgency.
Trading Standards have also been made aware, as Audi U.K. and the Dealership are refusing to exchange the A1 or offer a Courtesy Car pending resolution. Legal Action against either or both Audi parties are waiting in the shadows to pounce !

·
Super Moderator
2014 A1 Sportback 1.4 TFSI Contrast Line +
74 Posts
The original post is from 2013 and will refer to the first-shape pre-facelift Mark I model. If there is also an issue with the latest Mark II, which can be even worse from what you are describing, this is a little concerning to put it mildly.

Do we know if the issue with the Mark I was resolved and if so, what the fix is? If the DVSA is that worried about the current problem, they can issue an enforced recall, but the problem is that if there is no fix because the cause is not yet understood, then there is no recall action available and I'm not sure that DVSA can force the cars to be taken off the road leaving owners/drivers with no transport. They should however be able to put pressure on Audi to investigate and come up with a solution.

If you (or anyone else on this forum) are in touch with DVSA it would be useful if you can keep us updated

1 - 10 of 10 Posts