Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So I have already ordered my A1 and still have a doubt in suspension... I have ordered a Sport one which comes with a sport suspension. Since we have so many pot holes and bumps in Portugal I was wondering if I made the right choice. I previous owned a Seat ibiza (2009 model) and although it did not have Sport suspension it was a nightmare in bumps and holes. The tyre size did not help either with 215/45 R16. Now the A1 comes with sport suspension and the same measure in tyres (I wanted 15' but the sport model only goes as low as 215/45 R16). The rattles and squeaks in the ibiza were the main reason for swaping to the A1 and now I'm afraid I'll get them with this configuration :x What is u guys opinion? Cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been driving Quattro versions for the last eleven years. They came with standard sport suspensions. Once you get used you want nothing else. The grip is so much better! Especially with the A1 the difference between the dynamic and the sport suspension was fenominal.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Forum member kravi is in Portugal and already an A1 owner - seek his views.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
K3N8 said:
I've been driving Quattro versions for the last eleven years. They came with standard sport suspensions. Once you get used you want nothing else. The grip is so much better! Especially with the A1 the difference between the dynamic and the sport suspension was fenominal.
Hum but is the quality built to resist to this kind of things?
My ibiza was absolutely awful in this aspect... Rattles and squeaks everywhere and that's what made me buy the A1 in the first place :?

Chelmersteve said:
Forum member kravi is in Portugal and already an A1 owner - seek his views.
I've tried but he won't reply :(

·
Registered
921 Posts
Maybe he's away at the moment - he's usually quite active on here, give him a bit longer.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea but I'm open to other opinions also.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Zero|Cool said:
Hi all,

So I have already ordered my A1 and still have a doubt in suspension... I have ordered a Sport one which comes with a sport suspension. Since we have so many pot holes and bumps in Portugal I was wondering if I made the right choice. I previous owned a Seat ibiza (2009 model) and although it did not have Sport suspension it was a nightmare in bumps and holes. The tyre size did not help either with 215/45 R16. Now the A1 comes with sport suspension and the same measure in tyres (I wanted 15' but the sport model only goes as low as 215/45 R16). The rattles and squeaks in the ibiza were the main reason for swaping to the A1 and now I'm afraid I'll get them with this configuration :x What is u guys opinion? Cheers
Just like Steve said, I was away :)

Well, I have the sport with the sport suspension and I love it.
The car drives beautifully and holds onto the ground like no other car I've driven. It's a small car with a powerful engine, therefore really agile, but what really blows me away are its handling and grip. Every single time I make a corner at high speed I think "this car is soooo amazing!"...

Now, in perhaps more practical terms: the suspension is really hard and I feel a big difference from the 2004 Golf I drove before. I am always really careful in bumpy roads, specially because I got the 17'' tires (and flats get expensive :?), and I can understand that one may feel less comfortable than with a dynamic suspension, but I think the grip and handling are totally worth that extra worrying and hardness.

I don't find it a nightmare in bumps and holes, but I try and be careful so I slow down when I find any.
It is a matter of opinion but, for what it's worth, I think the suspension is one of the best things in the car!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Zero|Cool said:
Hum but is the quality built to resist to this kind of things?
My ibiza was absolutely awful in this aspect... Rattles and squeaks everywhere and that's what made me buy the A1 in the first place :?
Listen, since the introduction of ZOAB on the dutch freeways we get potholes during the winter times. So I know what it is like to drive over them. It is not an issue once you get adjusted to the sport suspension. As far as sqeaks and rattles are concerned.... Please do not compare Seat to Audi. It is a world of difference!

·
Registered
274 Posts
the only way you are going to tell is to get a dealership with two cars with the different types of suspension - and try them both out - back to back if possible.

The difficulty will be proving that the two cars are different to start with. Suspension is a very personal view.

I like the "s-line suspension" (the hardest) on my A3 (just sold) - others don't - but as thats not available I'm getting the Sport suspension on my A1 S-Line.

Quality of roads, wheel/tyre sizes and driving style obviously come into it too - only you can decide tbh.

·
Registered
811 Posts
MDPlatts said:
I like the "s-line suspension" (the hardest) on my A3 (just sold) - others don't - but as thats not available I'm getting the Sport suspension on my A1 S-Line.
I'm assuming you haven't managed to order the Sport suspension from the Sport model as a spcial build but have the standard "S line Sports suspension" ??

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MDPlatts said:
Yes that one - its the lowered one without the word "sports" I'd prefer like on the A3 and all/most-of the other models, but its not available.
My biggest concern is not really about me, because I'm young and I can handle some disconfort :mrgreen: It's more about the car and my ears... The rattles and squeaks really annoy me and that's why I went for the audi, because if reviews say that the polo build quality is up high (i've had one before and can confirm that after 90k km and 7 years there were no rattles whatsoever) I expect the A1 is even better and that's what made me pay the extra 4k€ asked for the A1 in comparison to the new polo.

I've only tried two sports:

-One with standard RIMS (215/45 R16), same measure as on my ibiza but as the car was new and the roads near the dealer were mainly highways I could only test that the car really handles well.

-Another one but with the 17' inch (215/40) and this one I managed to climb a sidewalk and run through some bad roads and I thought that even with that rimm size it was far better than my ibiza and yet the audi was new but already had a rattle coming from one of the air vents. So no actual conclusion taken.

In addition, the only experience I have with "sports suspension" is from my parents car: a 2010 VW Golf MK6 station wagon highline with sport suspension and 225/45 R17 rimms. The van was stiff and good in the beginning but now almost after a year it already has some rattles while passing by rough roads... :(

Unfortunately I talked to my dealer today and he said that I can't change the order now because it's almost build week. I hope audi quality is up to tests.
I never had an audi before but you guys that already had audis before how did they handle with sports suspension and low profile tires as the years went by? No rattles/squeaks?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Not a single rattle on my A3 2.0L TDi (140) that I've just sold - 5 years old - with the lowered S-Line suspension and 18" 225/40 wheels. Only 43,750 miles on the clock as I waved her bye bye though.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MDPlatts said:
Not a single rattle on my A3 2.0L TDi (140) that I've just sold - 5 years old - with the lowered S-Line suspension and 18" 225/40 wheels. Only 43,750 miles on the clock as I waved her bye bye though.
Did you drive on bad roads/city or only in highways/speedways?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Zero|Cool said:
the audi was new but already had a rattle coming from one of the air vents
If that's the sound I think it is, it's not from the air vents.
The whistle you hear when you drive a little faster comes from the side-view mirror, and it's quite common when the mirror is attached to the door. It's a matter of aerodynamics, I guess.

On second thought, that's probably not what you heard, since you have to go pretty fast to hear it and I guess you wouldn't go that fast on a test drive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts