Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in anyone's thoughts about dynamic suspension on the s line A1. I've had test drives in a sport with sports suspension ( and 16" rims), and an s line with s line suspension (with 17" rims). The former was firm but not uncomfortable. The latter was unbearable on Devon B roads and completely spoiled the otherwise exceptional car.
Should I specify dynamic suspension on my S line order? I will be mostly using the car on country roads, so would appreciate anyone's experience of this set up in a similar situation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was the case until recently. However, the January 2016 brochure allows you to specify dynamic suspension on an s line. So I was hoping someone had opted for this option and could tell me how they feel it performs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have dynamic on my s-line and don't regret it one bit, it's still one of the firmer small car rides I've had but looses some of the crashiness that the 17s bring. If you're concerned it's going to be too soft, rest assured it isn't.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks markI9, nice to know it's not too detrimental. Do you feel the handling is still good, ie not too much extra roll in the cornering.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If I understand the 2016 brochure correctly, to get the equivalent of S1 suspension on none S1 cars, you need to order both 2H5 and PDE options. Specifying only Order Code 2H5, does not give you the adjustable dampers of the S1.
Order Code 2H5
Audi Drive Select* - Auto, Dynamic and Efficiency modes available to change the vehicle characteristics. The following
characteristics are adapted: steering, throttle response, gearshift changes (with S tronic transmission) and air
conditioning (in efficiency mode). Only available in combination with Driver's Information System (DIS)
Order Code PDE
Sport suspension with adjustable dampers. Suspension set-up can be adjusted to the driving conditions. Two set-ups
are available (auto or dynamic) via Audi Drive Select**

*Not available on 1.0 TFSI engines.
**Only available on 4-cylinder models with Audi Drive Select.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
No that's not what you think dynamic on adjustable is more sporty with drive select

Most A1s come with drive select

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Dynamic is a more sporty ride with adjustable dampers (I can't imagine many normal A1s are specified with them due to cost)

imagine drive select(standard on a s-line)as a go faster button more noise more oomph add adjustable dampers then in theory it makes the car even more sporty

the main question is this more comfortable in auto then sports suspension if you deselect s-line suspension I can't answer that

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think some of you are confusing Dynamic with adjustable dampers, they are different things, there are three standard suspension offerings:-

S-Line - stiffest
Sports
Dynamic - softest

On top of that you have the £495 option of Sport with adjustable dampers (which confusingly comes with auto and dynamic settings).

Going back to the original question, I still think dynamic is firm compared to most small cars I've driven and I don't have any issue with excessive rolling on twisty roads. I selected dynamic without trying it and it was preying on my mind as soon as I confirmed the order but I don't have any regrets.

·
Registered
292 Posts
GPL said:
Dynamic on English roads
Fully agree. The one troubling aspect of the car I originally test drove was the harsh ride on uneven country roads and that was a sport rather than an s-line! I ordered the Dynamic suspension and have never regretted it. It's a very comfortable ride but holds the road admirably.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting to hear how the brochure can be confusing when considering suspension setups. Having a "dynamic" setting on the adjustable damper option which bears no relation to dynamic suspension as fitted on SE models could be seen as misleading. It just shows how carefully you need to read the detail of the options.
I did consider having the adjustable damper option, but could not be sure how much difference the adjustment would have. My local dealer had no knowledge of it and no cars fitted with it to test drive.
I don't mind a reasonably firm ride as long as it's not too pronounced and doesn't compromise comfort too much. If I was living in Germany or Holland, where the roads are mostly billiard table smooth, I wouldn't even consider changing the suspension setup as I don't think there would be any issues, but our roads are so bad I don't think I could live with the standard S line suspension.
So with all that in mind and the above comments I have bitten the bullet and specified dynamic suspension for my S line order
I would still be interested in anyone's experience of the different suspension setup options and how they feel they improve or detract from the overall A1 experience on British roads.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a Black edition on 18"s with I guess S-Line suspension!? Yea its pretty firm!

Any one know if its possible to fit a softer suspension, or would it effect the ride height?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not sure about retro suspension mods, but dial back suspension options on new cars are not available with 18" wheels. I think I read somewhere that the difference in ride height is 20mm between dynamic and sport/S line options. Perhaps someone could clarify this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a S Line with 17in wheels and Dynamic suspension and the ride is firm but comfortable and very little body roll but never tried the sports suspension as many in this forum recommended the Dynamic and I have no regrets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks markI9, interesting comments re the S-Line & dynamic suspension. I also understand that with dynamic suspension the ride height of the car is 20mm higher than with the S-Line sports suspension.

Has anyone who's bought the S-Line and opted for the dynamic suspension noticed any changes/negatives about the sporty look of the car with the slightly higher ride height?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So, I've now had my sline with dynamic suspension for a year now, and have been more than happy with my choice. The unforgiving Devon roads have been dealt with admirably. The ride is still on the firm side but not jaringly uncomfortable, probably due more to the low profile 17" rims than the suspension set up. Once on a good 'A' road or motorway, the ride is very smooth and comfortable. I've had no issues with handling or body roll whatsoever.
My first service has just been carried out by my local Audi dealer, who provided me with a 66 plate A3 sline with 18" rims as a courtesy car. This was a good opportunity to compare the ride and handling to my A1. I must admit I was surprised. The A3 was fitted with adjustable dampers and I tried all settings and have to say I couldn't really notice much difference between the options, the ride was slightly harsher than my A1 whatever the setting or road condition. Also the road noise was considerably higher at all speeds. However, handling was good, especially in dynamic setting.
I didn't expect my A1 to outperform the A3 in ride quality, but I can honestly say I was glad to get my A1 back.
On a slightly different note, the standard alloys on the A1 sline are very nice, but almost impossible to keep free of kerb damage. There is no protection to the rim whatsoever and any contact with a large pothole or kerb will result in damage - most infuriating! I am almost paranoid when parking. Is it just me, or has any one had the same experience?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts