Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My A1 is very kindly taking my wife and I around Europe this summer. Does anyone know about headlight conversion? I couldn't afford the lovely xenons so have the bog standard lights. Are bulb sets still recommended kit? That might be archaic information.
Thanks all
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,264 Posts
I think you'll find spare bulbs are a legal requirement depending on which countries you visit. As can be hi-vis vests (must be in the car) copies of your log book, insurance etc.

A vignette is needed in Switzerland, best bought in a petrol station by the border. Oh and if you do go to Switzerland unless you are very rich do not get caught speeding.

Full advice from the AA here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
If you go to your Audi dealer and speak to someone in parts they will be able to order you some headlight reflectors. As for the other stuff think triplefan has you sorted. Im taking mine to St Tropez at the end off the month so allso need to price some up. I will let you know a price on monday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
I am off to Belgium in mine in July. Do you still have to fit those stupid sticky headlamp reflectors on the lens or is there a little switch on the back of the lamp to adjust for Europe's roads.
Even if you dont drive at night in the dark you still have to adjust the headlamps.
I wonder how many people who drive here from the continent do the same ?
Dont forget all of your required by law kit. Hi vis vest for the driver, unles you go to Spain then every passenger has to have one. Warning triangle, two in Spain. Spare bulb kit. First aid kit.
And finally, have a god trip !
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
873 Posts
the manual describes how to cut some duct tape cuttings that can be sticked on the headlight
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
I have just returned from France having covered 2000 miles of high speed driving over 10 days without problem. I purchased a set of stick on headlamp converters from Halfords but then found there were no details for the A1 but contacted the manufactures via their website and they emailed these to me by return. No problems other than this and they were easy on and off again. You will also need High Viz vests which must be kept within the car (not the boot). First Aid kit & warning triangle (come with A1) plus a spare bulb kit. Some countries also require a fire extinguisher.

Hope this helps.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,965 Posts
Onlooker said:
Does anyone know if you can adjust the headlights for travel in Europe via the MMI?
No, but i think VCDS can adjust this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Thanks folks, have to check out the VCDS route! talking of routes, it's France, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, so plenty of interesting driving ahead; just go to find the right A1 yet!
 
G

·
Hi SG107

Triplefan has got most stuff covered with his post, the AA is a great place to go for information.

Europe is a great place to tour and full of interesting sites and history, D-Day landing sites, race tracks, the list goes on and on!

I've got a few things to add that might help. Firstly check your insurance and get 'European Cover'. If you don't get this your policy may leave you with third party cover only while outside the UK. Aviva definately do this unless you pay an extra £25.
Make sure you have High Vis vests, for every occupant of the car, and keep them IN the car. I've had friends fined 90 Euros each for not having vests to wear in France. Bulb kit/Fire Extinguisher/First Aid Kit and all the usual touring stuff (wet wipes/tissues/water/snacks) makes a lot of sense.

Sat Nav's essential, up to date if at all possible as roads change. You can get a transponder thing from Sanef if you want to bypass all the French Toll road queues, unless you are avoiding the Tolls to save costs?

I'm also very jealous and look forward to the pics!

HTH bud.
 
G

·
Onlooker said:
Thanks, Chunky. Some good info here! In my experience lots of ways to get fined in Europe!
Too true bud, IMO DONT speed in France or Switzerland, save it for the German Autobahns as you'll get a huge fine or car confiscated doing silly speeds otherwise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
jonnyg49 said:
If you go to your Audi dealer and speak to someone in parts they will be able to order you some headlight reflectors. As for the other stuff think triplefan has you sorted. Im taking mine to St Tropez at the end off the month so allso need to price some up. I will let you know a price on monday.
St Tropez, NICE! Please submit a photo of your A1 while in St Tropez. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
As far as changing the headlights for driving in Europe is concerned the following item comes from the Elsawin workshop manual...

Converting headlights for driving on the left or right side of the road
When travelling in countries where the vehicle is to be driven on the other side of the road, both headlights must be adjusted to prevent dazzling by the asymmetric dipped beam.
Procedure
- On vehicles with MMI control console, the headlights are adapted for driving on the left or right in the menu option Exterior lighting „Headlamp converter" → Owner's Manual for the vehicle.
- On vehicles without MMI control console, the headlights are adapted for driving on the left or right in the „Guided Functions" mode → vehicle diagnostic tester.


Where it mentions the 'vehicle diagnostic tester' VCDS can be used as well.

Also as far as paying the tolls on French autoroutes I've always found the best way, providing you have a passenger as the payment machines are on the passenger's side with a UK car, is to use a credit card rather than cash. You just take a lane with the credit card sign above the gate, pull up by the machine, put your card in the slot, it goes in and immediately pops back out, take your card, the barrier goes up and your on your way. Usually shorter queues at these lanes than the cash lanes. Been doing it this way for many years and never had a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Good tip re. toll booths; problem is I'll be on my own until I get to Croatia. Had this problem once getting out of a hotel car park in Antwerp, had to grab a passerby to put the token in!
 
G

·
h5djr said:
As far as changing the headlights for driving in Europe is concerned the following item comes from the Elsawin workshop manual...

Converting headlights for driving on the left or right side of the road
When travelling in countries where the vehicle is to be driven on the other side of the road, both headlights must be adjusted to prevent dazzling by the asymmetric dipped beam.
Procedure
- On vehicles with MMI control console, the headlights are adapted for driving on the left or right in the menu option Exterior lighting „Headlamp converter" → Owner's Manual for the vehicle.
- On vehicles without MMI control console, the headlights are adapted for driving on the left or right in the „Guided Functions" mode → vehicle diagnostic tester.


Where it mentions the 'vehicle diagnostic tester' VCDS can be used as well.

Also as far as paying the tolls on French autoroutes I've always found the best way, providing you have a passenger as the payment machines are on the passenger's side with a UK car, is to use a credit card rather than cash. You just take a lane with the credit card sign above the gate, pull up by the machine, put your card in the slot, it goes in and immediately pops back out, take your card, the barrier goes up and your on your way. Usually shorter queues at these lanes than the cash lanes. Been doing it this way for many years and never had a problem.


I ordered the Liber - T transponder, you simply place it in the car, drive up to the orange priority lane, it bleeps and the arm opens and you are on your way. No queues, no getting out of the car and no hassle. The money is then debited from your bank account at the end of the month.

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/

How it works

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/how-does-it-work

HTH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Chunky Monkey said:
h5djr said:
As far as changing the headlights for driving in Europe is concerned the following item comes from the Elsawin workshop manual...

I ordered the Liber - T transponder, you simply place it in the car, drive up to the orange priority lane, it bleeps and the arm opens and you are on your way. No queues, no getting out of the car and no hassle. The money is then debited from your bank account at the end of the month.

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/

How it works

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/how-does-it-work

HTH
This looks good. When I last looked into having one of these you had to have a French bank account but that seems to have changed. I think I will be getting one as I use the autoroutes to get to Germany at least a couple of times a year.
 
G

·
h5djr said:
Chunky Monkey said:
h5djr said:
As far as changing the headlights for driving in Europe is concerned the following item comes from the Elsawin workshop manual...

I ordered the Liber - T transponder, you simply place it in the car, drive up to the orange priority lane, it bleeps and the arm opens and you are on your way. No queues, no getting out of the car and no hassle. The money is then debited from your bank account at the end of the month.

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/

How it works

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/how-does-it-work

HTH
This looks good. When I last looked into having one of these you had to have a French bank account but that seems to have changed. I think I will be getting one as I use the autoroutes to get to Germany at least a couple of times a year.
It works really well bud, you zoom past the huge queues, especially if its a French bank holiday! No more fiddling around getting tickets or having to use coins or notes. Hasslefree!
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top