Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Thought my interior woes were over, but it would seem not. Have now developed a constant rattle when moving from the nearside door, that is really quite irritating to be honest.

Anybody suffered anything similar?

I guess the 'good' news is that I can make the rattle happen by banging the door card (gently :) ) with the palm of my hand when the car is stationery, so hopefully a simple fix

·
Registered
127 Posts
I know it may sound daft but I had similar issue but found it to be the seat belt knocking against the door panel. Once I made sure seat belt was away from door hey presto no rattle. It's just a thought 

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a "high frequency" rattle (buzz) from my OS door when on rough tarmac. When stationary, If I give the door a bang with my hand it sounds a bit like a snare drum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems I'm not alone then. Checked the seatbelt - it's definitely coming from door.

Booked car in to be looked on 29th March. Could be a long two weeks :) Yeah, I know, turn the music up :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Guys to be honest I have had 28 cars accross all manufacturers - most of these have been small cars (and I think this makes rattles to be more likely as they tend to be lighter and more subject to vibrations etc), including premium marks (BMW) to mainstream (Ford, Vauxhall) and maybe slightly more budget cars (Citroen) ...

I have not found any consistency on rattles / squeaks other than most of them end up with some noise to a lesser or greater degree. Most of this I think is down to the shoddy roads that we all drive on .. and these over the last couple of years (with the bad winters) have got worse and worse.

My tip to a quieter and longer squeak free existence is pick the route with the best roads if you can ..

At the end of the day I hate having my car pulled to pieces - a squeak is bad but a piece of damaged or ill-fitting trim with an unfixed squeak is worse - I know most garages do try hard but intermittent squeaks etc are hard to find and sometimes getting a factory finish back is even harder. Depends on your priorities really ....

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a quiet annoying rattle. it sounds like someone playing with a sweet wrapper in the passenger footwell. Thought it was the seat mechanism at first, but now I think it is the centre console. Difficult to find when you are on your own and driving !
On my previous Audi, an A6 avant the rear load cover used to squeak like mad and I had to spray silicone lubricant on it where it clipped into place every now and again.
The trouble is with rattles once you have one you are constantly liserning for it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was on the motorway yesterday and felt a low toned hum and vibration which got louder and louder. I thought I had a flat tyre...

Until the chinook helicopter appeared in view out of my windscreen!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm startingto get a sense that maybe there's a view I'm being over-sensitive here :)

Maybe giving a bit more context would help.......

I've had several 'hard-ride' Audi's before this one, so am used to the 'trim' noises that occur when hard suspension meets rotten road - fact of life. This problem is a bit different - it would occur if you were driving on carpet. Something in the door is resonating with the vibrations produced normally by the car when it is travelling. as a result it is always there. It didn't come with the car when it was new in December, it has only manifested itself recently over the same routes that I have covered regularly since getting the car.

Appreciate the comments about not pulling the car to pieces unnecessarily but sometimes it is the only option. Ultimately of course, any car will be 'touched' after leaving the factory, one way or another.

Regarding the sweet wrapper squeak - sounds like another problem that I had. Was around the handbrake area on the centre console and was fixed by the dealer. That one was interesting - only occurred on cold mornings, and like the current problem just appeared out-of-the-blue.

Deffo haven't seen any helcopters :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have had a few squeaks in the car when it was cold and then when I have warmed up the car inside it stops .. I think its just a fact of the plastic / metal expanding / contracting slightly and mine was from the central console / passenger footwell.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Car went back to dealers today and problem is now resolved. Turns out that the wiring loom in the door was flapping around and has now been secured properly so rattle has gone - bliss :)

One thing to note - in the process of removing the door panel it's necessary to remove speaker surround (yes, pretty obvious I know :) ) . I was told that this resulted in damage to the speaker surround - broken clips I would guess.
Guy who was working on the car tried to remove another one from another A1 that the dealership had to replace it - and that broke too!
Apparently these items are on back-order with no confirmed availabilty date, so I'm guessing a few have got broken here-and-there on removal and are probably 'designed' that way.
Anyway,the original surround is definitely back on the car, looks OK, and seems pretty secure, so I don't have a problem with waiting for a replacement.
All I wanted raise here is that I guess potentially the surround could get more 'permanently' broken on removal and maybe not go back on............

So, I am done with the with the 'non-standard' trim noises that I have had. OK the speaker surround needs to be replaced but in this instance no biggie, as I mentioned above.

Back to just enjoying the car :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
mmdrew said:
I was on the motorway yesterday and felt a low toned hum and vibration which got louder and louder. I thought I had a flat tyre...

Until the chinook helicopter appeared in view out of my windscreen!


·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a squeak from the drivers door handle and the centre console.

The car has already been to Audi and they have failed to fix the issue...

Its now going back in again to see if they can fix it...

If they cant I've bought some felt tape and ill fix it my self...

My car was over 20k and shouldn't squeak...

Had an S3 and about 8 A4's before this and you can certainly tell that Audi have compensated on the quality on the A1.

The Sline leather seats are no where near the quality of the old Sline seats - the leather is very thin and the fabric centers are poor.

The plastics are very similar to the BMW 1 Series - Cheap and nasty...

The electric window switches feel tacky and light.

They've made the dash look nice because I suppose that's what catches your eye but the rest of the plastics could be from a Renault.

Checkout the parcel shelf - Its as thin as cupboard.

Sound proofing seems lacking and if never seen this 70 mpg that Audi bang on about...

Part from these things the car drives very well. he he

·
Registered
67 Posts
To follow on from my previous post on this thread. I have located the rattle/squeak on my A1 to the centre console, just below the gearstick leather boot. I was going to take it apart and check for potential squeak/rattle areas but i cant even see how to take it apart.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rattles? This is very worrying. I've just traded in my 59 plate ford fiesta titanium for a new A1 1.4 sport mainly because I couldn't live with the cheap plastic rattles and buzzes on the fiesta. The A1 I drove on my test drive had a small plastic buzzing but I put that down as a rarity thinking that the audi is supposed to be a "premium" brand with VA group rock solid build quality. I have selected 17" alloys on sport suspension am I looking at sitting inside another rattling cabin on typical UK B roads?

·
Registered
305 Posts
mercury6 said:
Rattles? This is very worrying. I've just traded in my 59 plate ford fiesta titanium for a new A1 1.4 sport mainly because I couldn't live with the cheap plastic rattles and buzzes on the fiesta. The A1 I drove on my test drive had a small plastic buzzing but I put that down as a rarity thinking that the audi is supposed to be a "premium" brand with VA group rock solid build quality. I have selected 17" alloys on sport suspension am I looking at sitting inside another rattling cabin on typical UK B roads?
definitely not... you'll have the same setup as me and i havent witnessed so much as a squeak from the interior

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've got a Sport on 17's, and I get a whole range of rattles and buzzes (depending on the road surface)

Don't get me wrong, Audis are generally very well built - but please don't believe ALL the hype.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.