Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm looking at replacing the speakers in the front doors of my A1 as I couldn't justify paying the £690 for the BOSE sound system after listening to it.

Does anyone what size speakers are in the factory position and even better if they know the max mounting depth?

Many thanks
Mark :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,264 Posts
I have two sets of Alpine components waiting to go in, so I would also be interested, and if anyone knows how the door cards come off that would also be :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
They are not 6-inchers. Think the speakers are about 8-10 inches wide. But the driver magnet is really small!

Changed mine to 6-inch alpines and my mid-range improved tremendously.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,264 Posts
kennyshane84 said:
They are not 6-inchers. Think the speakers are about 8-10 inches wide. But the driver magnet is really small!

Changed mine to 6-inch alpines and my mid-range improved tremendously.
I am assuming there are some of the original speakers left, what is the efficiency (volume) like between the two? When I fitted the Alpines in my last car the standard speakers were comfortable at vol 2 whereas you couldn't even tell that the Alpines were even connected.

I don't suppose you took any pics during the process, and any tips for removing the door cards?

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
triplefan said:
I have two sets of Alpine components waiting to go in, so I would also be interested, and if anyone knows how the door cards come off that would also be :cool:
Here is a link to a PDF file that I've made from the Elsawin workshop manual showing how to remove the door panel.

A1 - door panel

Hope it's of some help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,264 Posts
h5djr said:
triplefan said:
I have two sets of Alpine components waiting to go in, so I would also be interested, and if anyone knows how the door cards come off that would also be :cool:
Here is a link to a PDF file that I've made from the Elsawin workshop manual showing how to remove the door panel.

A1 - door panel

Hope it's of some help.
Big help, thanks buddy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
A1TDISLINE said:
Hello,

I'm looking at replacing the speakers in the front doors of my A1 as I couldn't justify paying the £690 for the BOSE sound system after listening to it.

Does anyone what size speakers are in the factory position and even better if they know the max mounting depth?

Many thanks
Mark :)
aka Arcam**** on another forum?

Sorry, couldn't resist :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
christam said:
A1TDISLINE said:
Hello,

I'm looking at replacing the speakers in the front doors of my A1 as I couldn't justify paying the £690 for the BOSE sound system after listening to it.

Does anyone what size speakers are in the factory position and even better if they know the max mounting depth?

Many thanks
Mark :)
aka Arcam**** on another forum?

Sorry, couldn't resist :)
Haha, yes mate, thought it best I joined a dedicated forum and this one seemed much better than any of the others I looked at.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kennyshane84 said:
They are not 6-inchers. Think the speakers are about 8-10 inches wide. But the driver magnet is really small!

Changed mine to 6-inch alpines and my mid-range improved tremendously.
Kenny could you measure the size of the ones you removed pleased.

I'll be letting a proper company install the speakers and amp for me as I don't fancy taking my new baby apart myself.

If you could find out the actual size of the speakers or expand on how you installed the 6" mids (i.e adapters) and what the max mounting depth is that would be a great help :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
A1TDISLINE said:
kennyshane84 said:
They are not 6-inchers. Think the speakers are about 8-10 inches wide. But the driver magnet is really small!

Changed mine to 6-inch alpines and my mid-range improved tremendously.
Kenny could you measure the size of the ones you removed pleased.

I'll be letting a proper company install the speakers and amp for me as I don't fancy taking my new baby apart myself.

If you could find out the actual size of the speakers or expand on how you installed the 6" mids (i.e adapters) and what the max mounting depth is that would be a great help :cool:
I don't exactly have the sizes with me now cos the speakers are in another place. My audio installer basically did a wooden adapter which fit the original hole for the speaker and then screwed on the Alpines to the wooden adapter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks mate,

I'll look at a set of 6.5" components with mdf adaptors.

Thanks
Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Hi guys - so no-one can confirm what the speaker sizes are for the Concert Radio for both front and rear ? looks like the Bose setup has 8" woofers in the front...but is this the same for the Concert?

Really want to upgrade the speakers to a Focal or Hertz setup, but would like to know the sizes so I can get a quote without having to remove the door panels myself
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top