Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody tell me how to remove the plug from the headlight unit as it does not seem to release if you follow the manual. I would like to replace my standard daytime running lights with LEDs. thanks in advance. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not sure but where are you getting the replacement bulbs from? Not many places have W21W LEDs.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've changed mine.

The plug should just clip out. Use the long ended tool from your kit (the one used to unloosen the screws) to help remove it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
P.s - it's easier to search for T20 led bulbs :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mixonic2 said:
Can anybody tell me how to remove the plug from the headlight unit as it does not seem to release if you follow the manual. I would like to replace my standard daytime running lights with LEDs. thanks in advance. :D
Thanks for your reply I got the LEDs from the following link. http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/xtec-w21w- ... p-485.html

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shakeystevo said:
I've changed mine.

The plug should just clip out. Use the long ended tool from your kit (the one used to unloosen the screws) to help remove it.
Thanks I will give it a go.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Good choice.

A few forum members have these ones and work well (i.e. they dont bring up bulb out errors on the DIS)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just ordered some for myself (thanks for the link) as I find the standard lights far too orange. Also thinking of replacing the dipped bean to some Phillips Diamond Vision bulbs too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Newbie76 said:
Just ordered some for myself (thanks for the link) as I find the standard lights far too orange. Also thinking of replacing the dipped bean to some Phillips Diamond Vision bulbs too.
These LEDs are great and have never caused me a problem.
The original link was posted by RobbieA who also gave me a link to Osram nightbreaker bulbs for the dipped beam which I would also recommend. They are available from here. I think RobbieA had a problem with the Phillips ones.
http://www.autobulbsonline.co.uk/

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi All - Yes, I have had these LED's for a month or so now and they run without any problem. I also fitted the H7 Osram nightbreaker bulbs to the dipped headlamps. They are a whiter light and extend the limit of vision quite well.

I bought these based on a test in AutoExpress who rated them above the Phillips which are not always matched bulbs, i.e. one bulb can be brighter than the other and someone did post to say they had had this problem with a set of Phillips and returned them. I have never used the Phillips myself and went with the Osram bulbs based on this test in AE.

Regarding unplugging the electrical connection to the headlamps, the connector is very stiff and I used a short stubby screwdriver to apply pressure to the release clip which solved the problem.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yup that was me with the naff Philips ones, specifically the Blue Vision Ultra (H7) ones....

Swapped them out back to origional. Looking to swap to the Diamond Vision ones at a later date, see if they are better.

·
Registered
121 Posts
shakeystevo said:
I've changed mine.

Can you just replace to the bulb in the standard lights for an led? Didn't know this :eek: :cool:

How much does it cost and is it easy to do?

btw where in the N.E you from? I'm in Sunderland

·
Registered
220 Posts
vipefire said:
shakeystevo said:
I've changed mine.

Can you just replace to the bulb in the standard lights for an led? Didn't know this :eek: :cool:

How much does it cost and is it easy to do?

btw where in the N.E you from? I'm in Sunderland
Yea the fittings are the same so just pop the other bulb out of the housing and push the new LED one in and your away :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yeah as Nipz said, just a straight replacement. only problem is LED bulbs draw less power than standard bulbs so the DIS thinks the bulbs have blown when they havent. You just need to select a good quality LED bulb which resistors built in etc to mimic the power consumption of a standard bulb etc...

In Hartlepool mate - Did you get your A1 from Wearside Audi??

·
Registered
121 Posts
shakeystevo said:
Yeah as Nipz said, just a straight replacement. only problem is LED bulbs draw less power than standard bulbs so the DIS thinks the bulbs have blown when they havent. You just need to select a good quality LED bulb which resistors built in etc to mimic the power consumption of a standard bulb etc...

In Hartlepool mate - Did you get your A1 from Wearside Audi??
Yea from Wearside mate> Did you get yours from them or Teeside?

So where can i get the bulb from and how much does it cost? :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Wearside also, went to Teesside initially to buy from them but didnt like their service!

The link to the bulbs is above, they are roughly £20 :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey guys,

Can someone please post some photos of your lights before and after, both night and day? I should be getting the car soon and am really considering the change...

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have a few in my gallery with the LED's in. None without tho.

You should find some of the standard DRL bulbs under someones personal gallery...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Eddie1 said:
Newbie76 said:
The original link was posted by RobbieA who also gave me a link to Osram nightbreaker bulbs for the dipped beam which I would also recommend. They are available from here. I think RobbieA had a problem with the Phillips ones.
Thanks for the about the Osram Nightbreaker plus, I have just ordered some to go with my xtec LEDs

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mixonic2 said:
Eddie1 said:
Newbie76 said:
Thanks for the tip about the Osram Nightbreaker plus, I have just ordered some to go with my xtec LEDs

1 - 20 of 107 Posts