Audi A1 Forum banner

Dash lights

8K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  sbarker 
#1 ·
Just got back from a lovely drive in the sunshine,towards the end of the journey,not dark enough for lights,i am sure that sometimes my dash lights were on,and sometimes off,am i missing something here? anyone noticed this. :?

#6 ·
I would say auto lights too but you don't say you have them.

#8 ·
Is there a position on the main lights switch that says 'Auto'

#10 ·
Not that then

#17 ·
see Page 9 in the Owner's Handbook

i) Note. The instrument lighting is dimmed automatically as the daylight starts to fade ......

#19 ·
Sorry to bring this topic up again, but I was thinking if the car is able to automatically dim the instrument lighting that presumably means it has some sort of light sensor... so based on that could it be possible to retro-fit/ code in fully automatic headlights using the same sensor?

#21 ·
jimlad said:
:D Hi there,back when i was a newby,i asked the same question.the answer i got was that there is a sensor at about 7,000 on the rev counter.When the light goes darker its a reminder for you to put your sidelights and headlights on,hope this helps. :mrgreen:
Thanks! That explains something that has puzzled me quite a bit: Namely why the lights going off in the dials are not always in sync with the automatic headlights.

If it was using the same sensor, you should never see the backlights go out when auto mode is selected as they would always come on with the headlights - but I have in fact seen that once or twice. And I have noticed a few occasions where auto was disengaged and the dials were backlit - yet the headlights came on when switching to auto.

#22 ·
I've noticed the same thing.

Sometimes they look lit, and other times they don't. And yes, also in 0 position.

Can anyone also tell me the difference between the daytime running lights and the side lights switch?

With position 0, the front daytime running lights appear on, not sure about the back. The lights kind of look the same when i turn the knob to the side light switch... the one between AUTO and the dipped beam one...

which one should i use during the day?

#23 ·
DRL's are front only and go off when you remove the key from the ignition. Sidelights are front and rear and stay on when key is removed.

#24 ·
The instrument backlights dim if it gets dark and you do not have your car head lights turned on - this is a reminder for you to put your lights on. So as an exmaple if you are driving along its bright all is well, if you then drive through a tunnel or into your garage at home as an example you will notice that your dash suddenly dims ... sort of odd at first but when you think about it then its logical. If you can't see your instruments then you probably need the lights on outside the car too !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.