Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all

I was just wondering if anyone could help with a phone question. My A1 is due any day now and I'd love to be able to use my mobile with the cars communication technology. I've asked Audi which phones work, and they can't say as they havent tested any yet. On their website is a list of phones that are compatible with all the other models, just not the A1.

Could anyone recommend their phone? Any information would be great as I know my luck. I'll buy a new phone and it will be the only one in the world that doesnt work.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I have an HTC Touch HD and it pairs faultlessly, my Blackberry Bold however is not quite as easy.

Difference is the car ask the HTC for the contacts and you just say yes, the Bold you have to push the contacts to the car, however after that all is fine.

This thread may help viewtopic.php?f=7&t=353&hilit=touch

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sony Experia Arc works well as does our Nokia 5800 and Sony Ericson Vivaz pairs good also

·
Registered
305 Posts
iphone works a treat... and if you have the connectivity pack, you can plug the iphone into the glovebox and listen to your music, and it will charge too whilst driving (amazingly handy :D)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to add to the list. Desire Z works fine. Transfers everything over without having to press a button and links up every time I get in the car without a prompt.

My old Samsung Tocco would ask me about 5 or 6 times would I like to connect, which was mega annoying.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My iPhone 3Gs worked fine. I could even play my podcasts through the car. An iTunes update later seemed to solve a problem of having to take the phone out of my pocket to change tracks and fast forward etc which was dangerous.

Now I have an HTC Desire HD, and whilst it pairs with the car very quickly it makes a mess of my contacts list on the DIS, which I haven't looked into yet. Also, the iPhone was better for being able to bring up the "recently dialled" numbers of people you called before you got in the car; with the HTC the list of recently dialled people will be blank until I start calling people from the car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My Nexus One pairs up with no problem. It streams music and makes calls. The quality of the streaming music is better than I thought it would be.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi

I've had 2 A1's and two paired phones. The problem is, that without a comprehensive Audi compatibility list covering all the contact and calling features, its a case of suck it and see.

My observation is that most phones seem to pair up - some more readily than others. But, the way that the contacts are handled, or the calling features, might not be 100%.

I started out with an oldish Nokia smartphone - the E51 On the Nokia, some of the features like recently called lists and mailbox - didn't work at all, but bascially the phone worked fine. On the second A1, the Nokia paired up, but didn't connect reliably without prompting to search for connected devices about 50% of the time when I got in the car. Strange really, that it should work seamlessly in one car, but not another, with exactly the same set-up!

So, since my contract on the phone was ending anyway, I changed to a BB Torch.

On the BB, almost all the features seem to work, but the voice-dialling often tells me that the contact is private and unavailable (which it should not do) and I am forced to call using the MMI or DIS. Nevertheless, the whole thing works pretty well, connects instantly and reliably and I am impressed. I think I can probably tweak the way that contacts are organised on the phone or in the car - and no doubt sort out my voice-dialling glitch.

I would say that if you buy a popular current phone, you will have somewhere between adequate compatibility and full compatibility and its unlikely that you will have a combo which doesn't work at all. At this rate, the phones market will have moved on by the time the Audi list comes out!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Lady_SadlyBroke do you still have issues with the BB and the connect/disconnect thing?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Zero|Cool said:
Lady_SadlyBroke do you still have issues with the BB and the connect/disconnect thing?
No, it was the Nokia which I had trouble with. The BB Torch is very good in the A1 - and I'm really happy with my choice of new phone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts