Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
When I picked my car up on Monday the car was cleaned but not "protected". I'd like to give my car it's first proper clean and would like to know a list of good products to clean and protect everything like paintwork, wheels and interior. I have a really good wax already.
Ideas, methods and good items ie cloths and sponges to apply the products would be much appreciated also.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
mark33 said:
Hi Gavin,

Try this site http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/

Lots of great products, and plenty of advice/tips. I recently ordered from them and they deliver quickly.
They are also very helpful by e mail as for advice etc, and prompt too.

Mark
+1

The guys are down the road from me. No rubbish advice. I used Autoglym HD wax (that PB dont sell however)... buy from ebay not Halfords if you want to go that route..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Also visit deatiling world forum, it dedicated to detailing your car.

Mike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the links guys they're great. Right, best get the bucket and sponge out then!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've never been one for cleaning cars to an extreme, but then I've never had a new car before. After researching on the internet this morning, I'm on my way to Machine Mart to buy a pressure washer with a detergent bottle spray, then halfords (I know! but I need it today) as they have 3 for 2 on cleaning stuff, thinking meguiars nxt and possibly the alloy cleaner, and whatever else I see, then a lambswool mit. I'm going to order the super snow foam from the website above when its in stock. Who'd have thought owning an Audi would be such an expensive hobby??!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
This step by step guide may also help you without confusing and overloading your brain with info.
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index ... 823.0.html

I know what its like getting into this stuff and wanting to do it right, trying to get good advice you get swomped with info and get overloaded. As i was in this position a year or so ago.

I currently use

Valet Pro PH Neutral Snow Foam (to get rid off the road grime using a karcher snowfoam jetwash attachment)
Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild shampoo (using a 2 bucket wash method using two buckets with Meguiar's Bucket, Grit Guards,+ a dodo juice wash mit)
Cobra Supreme "The Guzzler" Drying Towel.

When needed.
Autoglym detailing clay kit (when needed)
Autoglym super resin polish (when needed)
Cemical guys jetseal 109 (A fantastic product imo especially on wheels but great on paintwork too)
Collinite 476s Super Doublecoat Wax or Dodo Juice Purple Haze Pro wax (I use the collinite for winter as i don't need to top it up as much)
I use a few different makes of microfibres to apply and polish the waxes/sealents.
Meguiar's Endurance High Gloss Tyre Gel with its £5 apllicator pad makes applying it so much easier.

Best bit of advice i can give is ditch the sponge, get a washmit and use a sealent and wax every 3 months or so as its amazing when the paints sealed/waxed how much easier it makes cleaning a car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Snoopy said:
This step by step guide may also help you without confusing and overloading your brain with info.
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index ... 823.0.html

I know what its like getting into this stuff and wanting to do it right, trying to get good advice you get swomped with info and get overloaded. As i was in this position a year or so ago.

I currently use

Valet Pro PH Neutral Snow Foam (to get rid off the road grime using a karcher snowfoam jetwash attachment)
Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild shampoo (using a 2 bucket wash method using two buckets with Meguiar's Bucket, Grit Guards,+ a dodo juice wash mit)
Cobra Supreme "The Guzzler" Drying Towel.

When needed.
Autoglym detailing clay kit (when needed)
Autoglym super resin polish (when needed)
Cemical guys jetseal 109 (A fantastic product imo especially on wheels but great on paintwork too)
Collinite 476s Super Doublecoat Wax or Dodo Juice Purple Haze Pro wax (I use the collinite for winter as i don't need to top it up as much)
I use a few different makes of microfibres to apply and polish the waxes/sealents.
Meguiar's Endurance High Gloss Tyre Gel with its £5 apllicator pad makes applying it so much easier.

Best bit of advice i can give is ditch the sponge, get a washmit and use a sealent and wax every 3 months or so as its amazing when the paints sealed/waxed how much easier it makes cleaning a car.
Good advice there I think.

Mark

·
Registered
32 Posts
Demon Shine - best thing ever! Really works (I have the dilute in the bucket stuff) and not only makes the A1 sparkle, but chucked some over my wife's 5 yr old Jazz and it now looks new. Amazing!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi, I have used autoglym products on my A1 and it has a silky smooth finish that is very hard wearing.1st coat Autoglym polish and the 2nd coat is Autoglym Hard gloss coat.
Very easy to apply and long lasting.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Seems like everyone has their own preferences. My day has been like this so far......

Went to Machine Mart, bought pressure washer for £54, quite pleased with that.

Went to Halfords, 3 x Meguiars NXT Wash at £15.49 on 3 for 2, Meguiars microfibre mit and Halfords micofibre drying cloth.

Quickly dropped mothers day card and present off.

Set up pressure washer, used the detergent bottle with a little NXT as a prewash as don't have any snow foam yet.

Washed with mit, using two buckets. Jetted off. Cleaned alloys.

Dried off.

At which point it immediately rained. :evil:

On a plus note the 7 twin spoke alloys I found really easy to clean, can get to everywhere and get them really clean.

·
Registered
23 Posts
it only rained on yours? You are lucky, after cleaning my car for the first time yesterday, within 5 mins I was immediately covered in vast quantities of Horses**t thrown up at me by a car infront. To add insult to injury I unavoidibly drive over the said substance caking the underside in it too. Not pleasant at all. I was picking handfuls of the stuff out of my wheel arches...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Newbie I get the same problem where I am, the horses always s*** on the road and it always gets all over your car and spoils all your hard work. They should be made to shovel up their mess as they go along!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I feel much better now. No horses round here.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The guys are down the road from me. No rubbish advice. I used Autoglym HD wax (that PB dont sell however)... buy from ebay not Halfords if you want to go that route..[/quote]

Have you used Autoglym HD wax on your A1 already? found some on ebay for £26 ( bout the best price i could find )

·
Registered
442 Posts
On a plus note the 7 twin spoke alloys I found really easy to clean, can get to everywhere and get them really clean.[/quote]

How did you get on cleaning the alloys on the inside ? ive got 3 cuts on my hard from the cleaning it the weekend :( :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
ahh...thats where I got that cut from then. Might wear gloves next time. :oops:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts