Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
Thahnk you for that info :) will def keep a eye on the oil usage

borrowing dads knacker at the mo and im putting oil in twice a day , gosh hope it holds out til march :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
Do the A1's have a dip-stick - when I was on the A5 forums - they don't come with them - its shown in the MMI - but the hole is there (with a cap on it) - and people worked out what the official part no was to get one and ordered them as they didnt think the MMI was accurate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
921 Posts
1.4 has a dip stick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes there is a warning light but when it comes on it is LOW. I always carried a bottle of oil with my A3 2.0 TDI as it would catch me out especially on a long motorway trip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
I don't know if all the dealers are doing this, but mine gave me an extra litre of oil in the boot on collection, so they must know that these cars are going to get through a fair bit in the first couple of months
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
921 Posts
Mine had a litre in the boot too (as did my previous A3s). Handbook reckons that half a litre in 600 miles is nothing unusual.
Mine seems to have settled down now - after that first half litre top up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
mrfaize said:
Yes there is a warning light but when it comes on it is LOW. I always carried a bottle of oil with my A3 2.0 TDI as it would catch me out especially on a long motorway trip.
You should never wait until the low warning light comes on to top up, it is a good idea to check the level every few hundred miles, all new Audis get a complimentary bottle of oil from the dealer, i met a guy who lives in Windermere just before Christmas who is driving a 1.6 TDi in Daytona grey, he told me to check the oil lid was on properly ( stored in the spare wheel area ) his wasnt and had leaked so might be a good idea for all to check theirs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
well I strangled to find a complimentary bottle of oil in my boot. Sounds like what I am saving on petrol I will be spending on oil! My dealer never mentioned this to me and it is my first Audi. Thanks all. Will have to check the weekend........

Which oil do I need to use?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
darrenmking said:
well I strangled to find a complimentary bottle of oil in my boot. Sounds like what I am saving on petrol I will be spending on oil! My dealer never mentioned this to me and it is my first Audi. Thanks all. Will have to check the weekend........

Which oil do I need to use?
Some do some don't - even same model same engine. Depends on driving style blah blah blah...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
i do like to forget the oil ha ha , in my saxo and the 80k plus miles i did in it , I never had to put any oil in
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had two Focus (1x petrol 1x diesel) before A3. Focus - never needed any oil. Probably put three litres in the A3 over three years.

@Darren - wait 'til you see the price of it. It's cheaper at local auto emporium than dealer (who use special Audi/VW version)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
mrfaize said:
darrenmking said:
well I strangled to find a complimentary bottle of oil in my boot. Sounds like what I am saving on petrol I will be spending on oil! My dealer never mentioned this to me and it is my first Audi. Thanks all. Will have to check the weekend........

Which oil do I need to use?
Some do some don't - even same model same engine. Depends on driving style blah blah blah...
I asked where the oil was when i collected because i never got any in m A3, mine is in a wee bag clipped onto the back of the boot. ask your dealer , i'm sure it states in the brochure or somewhere that you get a litre of oil. Worth asking cos it ain't cheap!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
512 Posts
darrenmking said:
I have had quite a few cars now and have never checked the oil in any of them. Expected the routine servicing to take care of all of that. So hoping my car is not a drinker!
If you drive hard, especially with a turbo car, you need to check the oil on a regular basis. Waiting until the car is serviced isn't going to be good enough. Driving with low oil can cause serious engine issues and cause it to cease up.

Like I say tho, it depends on your driving style and how hard you push the car. If you race everywhere and rev the arrse of the car, naturally you will use more oil than normal.

I will be checking it as often as needed and after any long journey.

I learnt this the hard way on one of my previous cars :(

Andrew
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top