Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so sorted insurance and signed form for tax disc. Now once again car salesmen being car salesmen, my dealer tried to flog me autglym, and i very nearly went for it. But its £350 odd quid and for what it is it seams really expensive! What do you guys think?

I went on the autoglym website and you can get a cleaning kit for £70. I just think audi are charging through the nose just because they can.

Also can anyone recommend any alternatives?

thanks

James
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Autoglym products are good. I have used them for several years on my cars. However, I would not go for the Autoglym Lifeshine! It's far too expensive. Your dealer will make a big profit on the Lifeshine. I have been offered it previously as part of a deal on a car a few years ago. I declined and sought a better value item as part of the deal. You can find the Lifeshine product on the internet for a reasonable price and apply iy yourself.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
873 Posts
OK quite simple :)

Don't buy Autoglym unless its being offered for less than £150ish - even then I think this is pretty steep. They should be offering it almost free....it is good stuff but its not worth £350!

My last car from Seat offered it free after some bartering. Audi wanted full price (make sense as this was before the car was even released) so I said forget it. Got a private valeter (autoglym approved) to do it for much cheaper.

I watched the valeter do it on my drive and it seems pretty simple enough, but question is would you risk it? afterall doing it on your own you aren't covered by warranty......you can get the lifeshine kits on ebay (£30-50)....again Autoglym don't approve all this..

Any other products are just normal cleaning kits - which is different to Lifeshine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
I declined the offer of Autoglym Lifeshine for my dealer at £299, I then bought the kit from the Internet for £72.00 and have the satisfaction of treating and protecting the car myself. Double satisfaction as I didn't make the Stealers any richer.
Go for it and enjoy. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
574 Posts
mines was thrown in for free
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Same here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
wright211289 said:
Okay, so sorted insurance and signed form for tax disc. Now once again car salesmen being car salesmen, my dealer tried to flog me autglym, and i very nearly went for it. But its £350 odd quid and for what it is it seams really expensive! What do you guys think?

I went on the autoglym website and you can get a cleaning kit for £70. I just think audi are charging through the nose just because they can.

Also can anyone recommend any alternatives?

thanks

James
Depending what colour you have ordered some products are better than others, I use black fire or swissVax products on my carbon black BMW m3 with good results. Or for really good winter protection I use collinite wax on my soon to be replaced silver car, this stuff beads water like you wouldn't believe and lasts for months and it's cheap. Have a look on the polished bliss website and check out their products and information on all things cleaning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
GWB1971 said:
wright211289 said:
Okay, so sorted insurance and signed form for tax disc. Now once again car salesmen being car salesmen, my dealer tried to flog me autglym, and i very nearly went for it. But its £350 odd quid and for what it is it seams really expensive! What do you guys think?

I went on the autoglym website and you can get a cleaning kit for £70. I just think audi are charging through the nose just because they can.

Also can anyone recommend any alternatives?

thanks

James
Depending what colour you have ordered some products are better than others, I use black fire or swissVax products on my carbon black BMW m3 with good results. Or for really good winter protection I use collinite wax on my soon to be replaced silver car, this stuff beads water like you wouldn't believe and lasts for months and it's cheap. Have a look on the polished bliss website and check out their products and information on all things cleaning.
Agreed about polished Bliss - they are great, and know there stuff, and good products to boot.You can e mail them for advice before purchase, and they are most helpfull I found.Blackfire and swissvax as mentioned are good stuff.

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Bought lifeshine off the Bay for £13 and did it myself . Applied after I clayed the whole car and did every little bit with it and still had some left as a little goes a long way. So the dealers are making a killing on this stuff. I know you gets lots of goodies with the kit from the dealer but its the prtotecting you are really after. DIY is what I say as you have no idea if the dealer has done it or not or what sort of job they've done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
619 Posts
I went for autoglym - as I don't have much comparison I can't say if its worth it, but definitely nice to have all the cleaning products together with the protection
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I just ordered a new A! and dealer offered my Autoglym Lifeshine for £499....what a rip-off!!!! Always had it on previous new cars (Merc; Volvo: VW) but never more than £250. I wasn't born yesterday!!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
873 Posts
get a local valeter to do it, they are listed on the autoglym website
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Strange thing is it seems all Audi dealers are charging the same retail price.

Just out of interest is the package provided by pro detailers the same as from Audi. I am not questioning the quality, rather is it both inside fabric and leather, outside paintwork and glass, as well as the courtesy lifeshine kit and the warranty.
 
G

·
I personally wont touch any of those dealer added 'extras' like 'lifeshine', 'diamondbrite' and 'supaguard'. You pay far too much for them, and the works experience lad using a dirty sponge will probably inflict swirls which you wont see as the products contain 'fillers'.

You'd be better off having it delivered to you without any of that done to it, and buy yourself some Zaino products and do it yourself, very easy to do, and far better value IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Mr Monkey has a point there.

I had the Lifeshine thrown in due to a sales co*k up. It was shiny on pickup, but plenty of swirl marks here and there, so not put on by a pro.

I'll get it stripped off by a guy I know (got his own detailing firm) and then get the paint corrected. After that I'm not sure what he'll use, but he did a an 11 year old green Impreza for me last year and put on...

1 coat of DoDo Juice Lime Prime
2 coats of Poorboys Black Hole
2 coats of Swisswax Samurai

This was after the usual snow foam, clean and paint correction had been completed.

The Impreza looked almost new again! It was a stunning.

J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
mixonic2 said:
I declined the offer of Autoglym Lifeshine for my dealer at £299, I then bought the kit from the Internet for £72.00 and have the satisfaction of treating and protecting the car myself. Double satisfaction as I didn't make the Stealers any richer.
Go for it and enjoy. :D
Lifeshine kit is £15 on eBay! I bought a sealed box, treated the car myself and its absolutely spot on....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
I havent got lifeshine, but I always use Autoglym and Meguairs cleaning products to clean the car. When it comes to wax though Collinite is ok, but Dodojuice Blue Haze is great as if Autoglyms HD Wax
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
as chunky monkey says and many of the guys who have posted. youd be better off buying products from polished bliss, elitecarcare or shinearama. theres many more detailing websites around to choose from. they offer a wide variety of cleaning products to keep your car looking the best. i detail cars on a regular basis and theres certain things i cant live without. i.e wheel woolies, ez detail brush and my ultra plush microfibre drying towel which seem to be the main ones. polished bliss have all the cleaning advice on their website on techniques ect so check that out! its really usefull! theres no doubt you will have a mass of cleaning products soon enough though!

regards

ian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
I paid £250 for Audi Gap insurance & Autoglym i think that was a good deal!
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top