Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received this weeks Auto Express and there is a3 way test - DS3 - A1 Sport and Mini Cooper. Great pictures of RHD Sport and normal headlights. The A1 came a close 2nd behind the DS3.

Also, had a call from the dealer today to say my car is built and in transit - Yes!! :lol:

·
Registered
274 Posts
The DS3 will plummet in value like a lead brick though - so either they took that into account (and it won other things by a long long way) or they didn't but should have.

·
Registered
151 Posts
A slightly strange verdict from Auto Express. Everything they said in the test suggested that the A1 was the winner, but in the final verdict they said:-

"When we sat down to compile our verdict, the A1 was in pole position. But the more we tried to justify the first place, the more we realised it was our winner for the wrong reasons. Cars in the premium supermini sector should be fun and full of character - and that's where it comes up short."

They also said (of the A1) "There's no doubt it's the wisest investment, but you'll never take the A1 out for a spin just for the hell of it"

That's fine with me! I am buying it for the build-quality, the top-notch cabin, the residuals, the economy, the smart but not too edgey looks and hopefully for reliability and comfort - and yes, of course, the badge. They criticised the understated look, but in my view understated looks don't date badly whereas way-out styles usually look pretty silly after a few years.

I like wise investments!

I'm not blown away by the Scuba Blue example though, I have to say.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just read the Auto Express review too. I thought it was very good. Of course it should be number 1! To me DS3 does not have the right image!

The A1 looks mean and very nice!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Lady Sadly Broke - I could not have put it better my self.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Having previously owned a mini cooper and been lucky enough to test drive an A1 Tdi sport - the mini is fun to drive but as regards quality A1 is in a different class. I had the choice of a cooper d or an A1 - having specced both to my budget the mini just looked ordinary - whereas my black A1 Tdi S-line with xenons and privacy glass will be a stunner. Wouldn't consider a ds3 - just too way out for me (maybe I'm getting old).

I too like wise investments but the other half likes them even better ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think Auto Express should look at buying cars with there own cash and run them for 3 or 4 years and then see which is best. I may have had a DS3 if I did not think it would drop to bits and be worth 50p in a couple of years times. I've also had a mini and although it does drive like nothing else it could be tiring and was crapped. The mini thing is losing its charm and the next gen will share a whole platform with the PSA group I have read , so how special will this be when you can have a Citroen with effectively the same chassis.

·
Registered
166 Posts
That just doesn't make any sense.

Cars in the premium supermini sector should be fun and full of character
Even if the A1 is less fun, it's only less fun to drive (and even that's arguable! - how do you measure it?).
If you consider all other aspects, like comfort, quality, economy or reliability, I will have more fun than any Mini or DS3 owner ;)
And as for the character :eek: I think it has more character than the Mini and the DS3 put together! It's a matter of opinion.

Looks like the A1 had an advantage while their analysis was objective and logical, and then they gave the victory to the DS3 based on two subjective reasons. As long as it's clear.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm trying not to be pesimistic but I think I'm going to agree with the Auto Express comments quoted above. Like Lady SadlyBroke though I'm prepared to accept the less exciting drive etc. for the other benefits. If I'm honest, externally (aside from the LED DLRs) there's very little wow factor about the A1 for me. I like the standard Audi front end that always leaves you guessing what it is sat right on your rear bumper, but from the side and rear I don't think the A1 is as interesting as the DS3. I really don't like saying this but from some angles the A1 actually reminds me of the mk3 Astra. :( I'll just make sure I reverse into my garage so I only see it from the best angle each morning.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm prepared to accept the less exciting drive etc. for the other benefits
Couldn't agree more. Just think the "less exciting" bit is really subjective...

understated looks don't date badly whereas way-out styles usually look pretty silly after a few years
I agree with Lady_SadlyBroke. Even if the DS3 has that wow factor (again, it's subjective, as I personally think the A1 is a much more beautiful car), it will probably wear off with time. And we know the more sober looks just don't wear off so easily.

I just think these comparisons should be based in measurable parameters only, leaving the subjective ones for the reader/viewer to appreciate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts