Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Being as the UK looks like it will be having proper winters from now on, some of you may be wondering about what you can put on your car in the way of Winter Tyres / Wheels.

Firstly, can I correct some myths.

1. Winter tyres do NOT have metal studs - these are banned in EU (and are only used in exceptional circumstances)
2. Winter tyres are best used at temperatures below 7 degrees C, the point at which Summer Tyres become ineffective with mechanical grip
3. You can run winter tyres ABOVE 7 degrees, no problem - they dont degrade that quickly
4. The rule of thumb in Germany is on in October, off at Easter
5. You can just change the tyre on the rim, but it is a pain in the ass
6. Stick with the brands
7. Correct rating - Recommended for all is "H", which is 210kph
8. You SHOULD stick with the correct ET for the wheel - this affects your geometry on the car
9. Narrower tyres are better in snow

OK, onto the info.

Dimensions to Tyres

Summer Alloy Wheels (you can use the same size tyre for winters against the rim size)
7.5Jx17 ET 36 // 215/40 R17
7Jx16 ET 34 // 215/45 R16

Winter Wheels

Steel Wheel
6Jx15 ET 29 // 185/60 R15 88H (expect to pay for Audi OEM 500 Euro)

Alloy
6Jx16 ET 30 // 195/50 R16 88H (expect to pay for Audi OEM 880 Euro)

Remember that your wheel nut pattern is 5x100

Some current links

5 Pin With Dunlop Winter Rubber, Audi OEM - 880 Euro

Dynamic 7 Arm (with summer tyres, but expect to pay 1000 Euro new)

A good resource for you...

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just posted this on another thread, but it seems appropriate to cut and paste it here too ...

The A1 uses a surprisingly old fashioned 100 x 5 bolt pattern (PCD) which means that most other modern Audi and VW wheels wont fit. They are mostly 112 x 5 now. However there are lots of older Audi and Vw wheels with this fitment (TT Mk1, Beetle, Golf Mk 4, A3 Mk1, A2) which will in theory fit, and there are shedloads of them for sale on eBay. I bought a set cheap to use for winter.

The problem has to do with offset, and Audi has been tinkering with this. (Not to get too technical, this is the measurement which determines how far in or out of the arch the wheel sits, is measured in mm and normally referred to as the ET). The alloy wheels on my SE are 6.5" wide x 15 with an ET of 34. The wheels I bought are 6" x 15 with ET of 38, which means they are both narrower and sit 4mm further inboard. The fact is that they fit, but make the car look rather underwheeled. I can resolve this by adding spacers to move the wheels out, but that costs extra money, and I am not a big fan of spacers. When the tyres arrive I will try the wheels as they are and see how well or otherwise they work, and then decide if they need spacers.

The steel wheels which Audi or MyTyres will sell you are also 6" x 15 but with an ET of 29, so they sit further out in the wheel arch.

So ... you pays your money and takes your choice. There are loads of old alloys out there for sale, but be careful about the PCD, the size and the offset (ET).

(Jae, feel free to correct any of the above if you think I'm wrong)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Audi seem to allow a remarkably wide range of wheel and tyre sizes for the A1, from a 185/60 x 15 snow tyre all the way to a 225/35 x 18 option, and with wheel widths from 6" to 7.5", and various ETs. I'm guessing the suspension must have a fair bit of latitude in its geometry to allow that. Normally the problems arise when you start putting bigger wheels and smaller offsets on, funny that I should be be debating the merits of a smaller wheel and greater offset. :?

Anyway, here is a pic of the car with a trial fit of this wheel (these are not the snow tyres, I actually have several sets of these wheels) and as you can see it fits OK, no clearance problems or rubbing, it just looks a bit lost in that huge wheel arch. The wheel is a 6" x 15 "Pepperpot" design from a Mk1 Audi A3, an excellent wheel in that it is light, strong and easily cleaned.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have the Dynamic Alloys with 195/50 R16's (your summer Alloy), they get fitted on Friday at Audi AG when we collect the little beast!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thank you guys for all the info :) :)

What sort of money we looking at to purchase a set of wheels and winter tyres? is best to get from audi or do they turn up on ebay?

is a 185/60 x 15 snow tyre the way to go? what about 14 size ? or is that size not ideal?

·
Registered
107 Posts
whitesliner said:
Thank you guys for all the info :) :)

What sort of money we looking at to purchase a set of wheels and winter tyres? is best to get from audi or do they turn up on ebay?

is a 185/60 x 15 snow tyre the way to go? what about 14 size ? or is that size not ideal?
Go to the MyTyres site and have a rummage, there is a broad selection on there at various different prices, and they do steel rim packages as well, including the A1. As ever though, you get what you pay for!

There will be nothing much specific to the A1 on eBay as yet, too new. There are huge numbers of older Audi and VW wheels on eBay though, just make sure you know what you are shopping for. You also need to be selective, there is a lot of trash on eBay, but there are also some seriously good bargains. I have bought a lot there, and never yet been disappointed, but knowledge is the key. ;)

I am 99% sure that a 14" would not fit. The other 15's that I bought only just fit with minimal clearance, as the A1 runs quite a large front brake caliper.

Happy hunting! :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Winter Wheels

Steel Wheel
6Jx15 ET 29 // 185/60 R15 88H (expect to pay for Audi OEM 500 Euro)

Will the dealer have the info on the above ?

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chris at Poole Audi does...

·
Registered
107 Posts
At last, my winter tyres for the A1 showed up this afternoon, after the useless courier firm (DPD) took two whole weeks to deliver them! GRRR. :evil:

Now we will have a mad dash to get them mounted and fitted before everyone shuts for Xmas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Jae,
Good post, thanks for the info. One question though - I bought my A1 earlier this year, and am looking to get some winter wheels sorted for it imminently - if I use steel winter rims, do you know if there are any issues with using the same wheel bolts currently fitted with my standard alloy wheels ? Cheers.

·
Registered
321 Posts
My tyre centre said it was fine and did that last winter. I had no issues with that.

Might depend on your alloys though as some seem to have special bolts and others have rather standard looking ones with a plastic cover that pops off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts