Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently brought a 2012 Audi a1 sport and was gutted when it didn't have a Sat Nav built in.
The dealer said that you can go to Audi and pay to have it installed about around £350. (Brought from Mercedes's ridgeway)
After a few months of being busy I've finally got round to looking into it. I've had a look at these forums and can't seem to find a straight answer. Some say it's £600, others £500, so I'm unsure.
I've seen that you can buy the SD cards on things like Amazon and eBay, but do they need to be programmed and fitted or simply just inserted? Has anyone brought one of these and have had any problems? Or would it be best to go ditch this idea and just go to a dealer? (I don't know any technical things about cars so figured this was the best way to get some answers)
Any help would be really appreciated!

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the forum !

You can only add the Nav if your car has the connectivity package (2 x SD Card readers), if you don't then the Navigation cannot be activated.

Cost does vary typically £600 as the card has to be activated, meaning you cannot just purchased the SD card from somewhere like Amazon / eBay.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
81 Posts
Like the previous poster says, but you can normally get for about £500 if you ask around. This cost is made up of 2 charges- £250 to activate sat nav on a car that is ready for the feature (2 SD card slots) and £250 for the SD card containing the latest European maps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My car does have the two SD slots so that's a good thing.

I did assume price would vary so will have to look into that more for my area I guess.

Are the people that are buying the SD cards online activating themselves? If that's even possible?
Would it alternatively be a good idea to buy the SD card online, and then get someone to activate?

Thanks!

·
Registered
205 Posts
You cannot activate yourself it has to be a Audi main dealer! Under no circumstance buy activation key or maps of the net you'll be wasting your money the dealer will not use them! I purchased a activation key in a sealed pack and the dealer was not in the least interested in using it on my car, just told me that it had or could of been used, that how they make there money I suppose
As you can't get safety camera software onto the Audi system I suggest you go buy a Tom Tom and save yourself about £400 I have and it sits nicely in the centre consol cup holder bit, the only down side is you don't get the nagging lady dim the radio sound

1 - 5 of 5 Posts