Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience of these aftermarket light conversion kits, which are advertised on E-Bay?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yes. They will kill ur electric system, A1 is a fine piece of electronics, its like a huge hub. If you mix somewhere something else will take the damage. Same happened on Golf MK5. If you want Xenon lights put them from factory. The only small "mod" I think is worth is changing ur interior plafonier lights (if u didnt order for led interior package) and the plate lights to a can bus led.

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have changed my headlight dipped beams to philips diamond vision. They aren't E marked so not strictly legal but in a new car I don't think you will get any trouble :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
There are so many kits some bad some good and there are ways to fit them without stuffing your electrics but like most things you get what you pay for. The best kits are several hundred £'s and although cheaper than the Xenon option on a new car it still leaves me asking the question is it worth it. The original reflectors are built for Halogen lamps and HID converstions lamps tend to scatter the output light so although brighter the light on the road can be uneven. You also need headlight self levelling and washers to be legal, both not feasble as a retrofit ( but not impossible). However having said all that I was thinking of doing it, but I'm still undecided. If I do I will post the results.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just a note . I'm looking at kits on HIDs4u and would fit the Aux harness to be on the safe side.

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/ultimate-kit.html

BUT I'VE NOT DONE THIS YET SO RESULTS ARE UNKNOWN.

Some of the ebay kits look similar and claim similar compatibilty but who knows if they are OK.

HIDS Direct I have used before on a 2007 Galaxy with no issues, but again the Audi is a different beast.

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/.

Be aware the the A3 needs the Aux harness otherwise it stuffs the wiper motor. So it is not without risk

I've searched the net for answers on A1 HID's but no one as yet has fitted them and dont trust the ebay add that say they are A1/A2 specific as they will not have tested it on a A1 I'm sure.. We could be the first if brave enough

·
Registered
145 Posts
The Aux harness incorporating isolation relays is the only way to go as it's the least risky option. The A1 specific HID kit listed on ebay has not been tested on a car and is a misprint as I rang them, But the company were really helpful and they are emailing me further details of there Canbus kit and harness.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi
i have audi a1 s-line 1.4
61 plate
fitted led bulb to drl from ebay Item number: 180818548485
with no problems at all straight replacement of bulbs
put hid kit with 6000k h7rc bulbs ebay Item number: 370440024720
used cancellers as well ebay Item number: 230580430752
same as i used im my audi a3 2008 face lift model with no wiper motor problem in 3 years
i did try ever bulb h7 h7r h7 focus bulb ( ebay Item number: 280726460794) wont work ,keeps falling out to thick plastic and i could not get the beam they say you can so i settled for h7 rc bulb good beam and not much dazzle,
put red led in 6 back light bulb needed 6X 50W load resistor to stop bulb out ebay Item number: 310224123640
all good looks excellent
if you want to check my ebay its mike401063

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
You what lol

·
Registered
512 Posts
directmike said:
hi
i have audi a1 s-line 1.4
61 plate
fitted led bulb to drl from ebay Item number: 180818548485
with no problems at all straight replacement of bulbs
put hid kit with 6000k h7rc bulbs ebay Item number: 370440024720
used cancellers as well ebay Item number: 230580430752
same as i used im my audi a3 2008 face lift model with no wiper motor problem in 3 years
i did try ever bulb h7 h7r h7 focus bulb ( ebay Item number: 280726460794) wont work ,keeps falling out to thick plastic and i could not get the beam they say you can so i settled for h7 rc bulb good beam and not much dazzle,
put red led in 6 back light bulb needed 6X 50W load resistor to stop bulb out ebay Item number: 310224123640
all good looks excellent
if you want to check my ebay its mike401063
hey directmike... Suggest you add this under the how too modifications thread with a bit more information I.e. installation guide and photos etc...

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
So directmike by coincidence has an A1 and is selling bulbs on ebay for the A1?

Hmmmm ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Premfp28 said:
Does anyone have any experience of these aftermarket light conversion hid kits which are advertised on E-Bay?
I have installed H1 HID XENON DIGITAL CANBUS BALLAST SINGLE BEAM KIT 8000K DIAMOND BLUE in my truck. I bought it from ebay. It is only for $85. It is working good! :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Spam?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts