Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own an Audi A1 2012 1.2 tfsi and recently I noticed that the power steering was very stiff specially when stationary and also produced a whining noise. The mechanic diagnosed it as power steering pump failure and told me to replace it. Now, after putting in a new pump the steering wheel is more stiff.
Any suggestions/recommendations on this issue would be really helpful

thanks

·
Super Moderator
2014 A1 Sportback 1.4 TFSI Contrast Line +
83 Posts
Judging the "stiffness" is going to be difficult. There's probably a way of testing, such as lifting the car off the ground and applying a given force to the rim of the steering wheel. And then getting action to address this will be difficult. If the pump has been changed to no effect and you are running the same wheels and tyres, the next stage is probably for the steering rack to be changed but that will be expensive and may not solve the problem unless, for example, it results in a suspect/faulty valve in the rack being replaced.. not sure if the rack can be serviced but taking into account the time to do this, parts costs and the car being undriveable whilst the work is done, a new rack may be cheaper..... a used one from a breaker may have the same issue

1 - 2 of 2 Posts