Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

We have collected the test car this morning, and its sat outside our offices.

The car is an all silver (Ice Silver - £500) 1.6 TDi Attraction edition (which is the equivalent to SE in the UK at £13,545) with black Zeitgeist Cloth Seats, Black carpet and Titanium Silver roof liner, colour coded wing mirrors (Standard), Driver Information System (DIS) (£185), Concert Stereo with 6.5" display (Standard in UK), manual Climate Control (Std in UK), heated seats (£250), Front Fog Lights (£135), Leather Steering Wheel (£160 - Std in Germany) and 10 Spoke 16" Alloys (not available in the UK). I think that is about it spec wise, so this car would cost in the UK £15,445.

Initial feeling when I sat in the car is that it is VERY polished for this market. The finishing on this base model was exceptional, with the typical Audi quality oozing from the moment you touch the leather finished steering wheel (option in the UK). The plastics, as ever, are in a league of their own. It felt almost as if my Q5 had been shrunk down in size and the leather replaced with cloth! I just had to remember that there was NO parking assistant (its amazing how you become used to that!!).

The switches are very tactile and typical Audi. The cloth is great, and even the standard vent surrounds look good in their standard matte finish. The big 6.5" display is not as high resolution as found in the A4, A5 etc, but the functionality is great, and typifies the functionality found in the bigger cars. This car is prepped for navigation (which you can buy after wards in the form of an SD Card) and it also had the full complement of buttons on the fascia, including TEL (even though its not on this car) - mistake, maybe?

Down to driving...

The 105PS 1.6 TDi is actually a great engine for City driving, it is quiet and refined. The torque that is typical in a Diesel of this size (250Nm from 1500 - 2500 rpm) is perfect for nipping out into the flow of traffic, with very little lag indeed. The clatter normally associated with even some of todays diesels is just not present once you have pulled away - the engine is not that loud and the cabin is so well insulated from the engine bay. Gets my vote for a City car!

The Concert Stereo, standard in the UK, is really good quality. Bass OK and Tone too. To be honest, to any normal car driver, the system is more than capeable of pleasing nearly every ear in this form. The Audi Sound means you will by default lose some depth to the boot (thanks to the Bass) and I really dont think you need it. Bose, however, is a different leaque - I had it in the TT Roadster and nearly every test car Ive driven from Audi. Worth every penny for Music lovers!

The handling is firm, but not nauseous. The steering, precise and balanced (not too heavy, or light).

Im off out for another drive shortly, with more pictures to upload. We have the car until 1700 CET, so if you have any requests, post them HERE on this thread, and Ill try an answer them before I hand the car back.

Jae

·
Registered
1 Posts
This review reads well. If the A1 is aimed at City Users, it should have the reverse parking feature as standard. If it is intended for everyday genaral use it should offer the option of a fitted special to car tow bar, like the A3.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can get a towbar fitted, its an option in Germany, for 110 Euro!

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perfect for learning in! You can disable the Stop start feature too - button above the hazard lights.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Hi Jae,
Couple of questions:
Does Audi Sound eat into boot space more or less than Bose?
Does that car have a spare wheel or the inflation kit?
Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steve,

Boot is the same for both bose and audi sound

Spare is a kit

·
Registered
159 Posts
My dealer's just back from his A1 training and he really rates the Bose system too.
I'd spec'd the Audi Sound system and as I'm not going for the tech pack/sat nav wasn't fussed about surround sound. Is the Audi Sound system not really that much of an upgrade then? The demo car I've sat in had the Bose system, I didn't notice anything in the boot, how much space does it take up?

EDIT: quick google found this on bose.co.uk, shame you can't zoom into the wireframe

EDIT: sorry, should have searched more before posting, found this PDF

P.S. Thanks for the speedy review and additional pics. What do you think of the silver, normally love it but don't think it make the A1 stand out enough?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Richard, the Bose unit sits under the floor of the boot - the red car you looked at had a spare wheel and it was next to that - it had a plastic cover.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Cheers Steve.
Would love a second opinion of the Audi System to know how much better it is than the standard set up and if the Bose is really worth the extra money for someone not opting for the technology package.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Question on the above. The battery is in the boot, so where was it on the red car if it had a wheel?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Interesting question, to which I don't know the answer. Under the boot floor there were electronic units under a cover at the left hand side which I was told were the Bose. The cover was actually broken and I disn't see what was under it . It was certainly big enough to cover a battery, and other things. I am now not convinced what was at the right hand side - there was a polystyrene cover held down with a big hand screw (of the sort that would hold a spare wheel down) and I thought I remembered some other people removing the screw and commenting that there was a space saver wheel and that it wasn't standard. After discussing it with the person who was with me I am no longer sure. My apologies if I've got it wrong.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Excellent, the car which you have is almost EXACTLY what I have specced, albeit in white.

Q1 ... does the boot floor have two positions? ie can you lower it?

Q2 ... what is the car like on the motorway at normal cruising speed?

Thanks

JH

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
John H

1. The floor has a higher fixing point (Ill upload a pic shortly) for the reduced height floor.

2. I took the car on the Autobahn up to 180kph, and it felt like a big car, really stable and quiet too.

Cheers

Jae

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here are a couple of boot pics (Ive also uploaded them to the Gallery)

Boot Floor on NON Audi Sound / BOSE

View attachment 1

and under the floor

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks for more really helpful pics. Wished I'd paid more attention when looking at the demo car as that had the Bose system. What you're saying is it's mounted in the space shown in pic 57?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts