Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of us know, the standard stereo is pretty appalling, so I'm just wondering if anyone has upgraded theirs themselves?

Obviously the main thing wrong with it will be the Head unit which of course can not be changed without losing a load of other functions so I'm just wondering if anyone has pulled it out and had a look to see if there is anywhere to connect an external amplifier?

If there is then I'm sure a decent amp and cheeky shallow mount sub in the boot could at least make it bareable. :lol:

If anyone has taken it out, where did you get the removal keys from?

Cheers. :cool:

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
I think the best option would be to swap the speakers! Although i don't fancy removing door panels etc myself!

Unless they can be removed by removing the speaker grills?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think the removal tools are the standard audi ones . I also think the head unit is the same for most UK cars ( there seems to be a 3g version in other markets ). So that should enable the connection of the Audi amp but not sure if wiring is there for it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers,

I'll have a search on fleabay for some tools and see what I can find, I don't think the speakers will be too bad if you can minimise the bass coming out of them by sticking a sub in the boot, similar to what the audi sound system does I imagine.

Who knows, I'm surprised nobody has attempted anything yet.

·
Registered
267 Posts
the speakers wont be removed just by the speaker grille, you would have to removed the whole door panel, which isnt an easy task

also the reason i think no one has upgraded yet is because they are so into thei music they would opt for the higher package, IE BOSE, and to be honest being an ex-chav ive had my share of top of the range aftermarket speakers etc and my BOSE are by far the best ive listened too, and we have our showroom cars fitted with B & O and if they did an A1 with that, i would gladly part with alot of cash lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
madant_uk ex-chav lol

·
Registered
267 Posts
shoosh you lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I specced the car I would've certainly added the Bose, had Bose in my last car and have 4 different Bose systems in the house and think they're absolutely fantastic, however, unfortunately I just took a factory order as couldn't be bothered to wait just for a stereo.

I'm really not bothered about changing the speakers, just adding something to take the bass so the current ones don't have to suffer and make fart noises every time a bassy track comes on! Ha ha ha. Still haven't got round to taking the HU unit out yet and checking the compatibility, I'm fairly sure I'm going to be disappointed but hey! Hopefully will get round to it this week sometime...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had the head unit out as I've got a sub and amp out of my old car to fit. On the back of the head unit there is no pre outs/ rca connections but there is a spare sub out connection. Would need some pins to put into the connector but can probably wire an amp using its high input to there. Alternatively you could wire an rca adaptor to this. The other main option is to disconnect all the speakers from the head unit. Use an rca adaptor to an amp. Fit new speakers and amp the lot of them. Seems a big job though and think a sub on its own may do the trick.

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Brett, did you notice if there is a connection socket on the rear of the headunit for the connectivity pack? As in the iPod/iPhone connection?

Would be good if you could take a picture too.

Cheers. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry i didn't notice but will have another look and take some pictures when i have a minute.

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Thanks, i am just wondering if there is a connection on the rear for people without the connectivity pack... Could possibly run a cable from the rear of the headunit to an iPod/iPhone for watching videos. ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Brett said:
I've had the head unit out as I've got a sub and amp out of my old car to fit. On the back of the head unit there is no pre outs/ rca connections but there is a spare sub out connection. Would need some pins to put into the connector but can probably wire an amp using its high input to there. Alternatively you could wire an rca adaptor to this. The other main option is to disconnect all the speakers from the head unit. Use an rca adaptor to an amp. Fit new speakers and amp the lot of them. Seems a big job though and think a sub on its own may do the trick.
Awesome, I shall invest in some stereo keys this week! Did you have specific audi keys or will any flat key fit in?

Hopefully just the sub on it's own will be enough, although not sure how it will sound without a low pass filter. If I get some time and get some keys I shall experiment soon enough. :)

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Ahhh, i have some of those keys! I may whip the headunit out and take a look

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeh its easy enough there is some rubber cushioning bits around the edge of the head unit which came off when I pulled mine out just make sure you don't loose them they just push back on to stop rattles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Heres the pictures i promised hope they are OK. On the back there is some iPod and aux connections so a retrofit may be possible.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm no expert in car stereos but Mojito heres a link about someone retrofitting an AMI in an A6 http://audiforum.us/threads/retrofit-20 ... ami.14201/. Does anyone recon this could be possible with the A1 here? It could be an excellent alternative to those who dont have the connectivity package. Another thing is the part code could someone be kind enough to look it up on one of those parts disks?

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Thanks for the pics Brett...
I am going to pull my headunit out in a while as, you have the twin SD card headunit, mine is the single SD card unit.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Im thinking if you can retrofit the AMI you can they buy an AMI cable which is audi AMI to component cables or something? Then you could maybe do video??

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.