Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i collected my S-Line on sunday from my dealer, i have the padel shift gears however
my partner is complaining when she drives it in auto as she doesn't like useing the padels that
the car is high rev'ing before it will change up to the next gear
has anyone else encountered this issue...
it will go back into the dealer next week to get checked out.
hope its nothing major :E

·
Registered
921 Posts
Its not a 'triptronic' gearbox. Its a DSG or S-tronic gearbox.
It doesn't sound as thought there is an 'issue' as you put it, rather that it is not being driven properly.
If you leave it in Auto you don't need to use the paddles at all. If you do use the paddles it effectively becomes a manual change and if you don't change up it could stay in a gear until maximum safe revs are reached before changing up of its own accord. If you choose to use the paddles you must change up and down just as driving a manual car, after a while it will revert to full Auto but not if you keep playing with the paddles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
prehaps she might have,
as i dont personally have any issue when i drive it
but she seems to have a complaint about it
but when she drives it she puts it in auto she doesnt use the padels,
she just says it rev's really high before changing up gear,,,,,,,
it could be driver error but ofc im not going to tell her that for fear of my own safety :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
I assume she does know not to just "floor it"?

Ahh well after all she is a girl :D Maybe she Is just jealous of your new toy.

·
Registered
179 Posts
In 'S' Sport the car will hold in a gear for longer giving higher revs, as others have said make sure it's in 'D' drive and keep off the paddles.

If she's booting it on the accelerator it will kick down giving high revs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I can see where she's coming from. I love the gearbox tho. I find it very sedated in D and paddles it's very hard to know when to change gear because it's quiet. Whip it in sport hit the loud pedal and the fun begins  I just can't stop grinning then. The little roar from the engine you can hear the turbo spin up and feel the car push you back a bit in the seat. You can feel the potential of the engine when it's run in. I wouldn't be without the DSG. Well worth the extra money

·
Registered
274 Posts
I find the s-tronic is too eager to get to 7th gear compared to the 6-speed DSG I had in my 2006 A3 2.0TDi - this leaves it underpowered should I need to press the loud pedal and I have to flip down 2-3 gears to get it to move.

Tomorrow night might be fun - I have several steep hairpin bends to negotiate going over Hartside pass between Penrith and Alston, that used to flummox the A3 but only took 1 gear to get it to move again.

And thats before I take account of any snow its been putting down for the last couple of days off and on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think as the others have mentioned, she might have clicked it all the way down to S instead of just D.

I've done it a few times and it took me a day to realise I had been driving around in S :oops:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Once had a A3 2.0T S-tronic Sportback loan car while my A3 was in for service. Didn't notice the 'S' option until I was nearly back at the dealers. So I just had to give it a blast. I nearly [email protected] myself - had to lift off in third. These RS3/4/5/6 must been frightening :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same feeling, it's like you push paddle and it needs a bit to change so revs get higher than I would. Now I just change a bit before and... it's great.

Also love to have my arm in the arm rest and change with the gear level, but when I'm in M1 sometimes it needs a clear movement of the gear lever or it doesn't change to M2.

Anyway, I love it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my partner says that the car is going in the red before it is changing gears,
she says she is not in S mode and is defo driving the car in D... in auto mode
so we are booked in to get it looked at monday :
hope its not a duff gearbox that would be a Nmare :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.