Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

been toying with the idea of getting a personalised plate for my car but what do i do i seen one i like on dvla site which includes the change over fee but after i buy it what happens, also what happens to my plate thats on the car now and if i come to sell the car how would i keep my personalised plate for my next car

can some one help i been throught all the help on dvla but its not clear and ive read something about a 25 pound retention fee

cheers

Gaz

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi Gaz

I'm not sure I can remember the fees exactly, but I do have a cherished number and have had it on 2 cars so far. I've not yet got it on my A1.

Basically, when I bought it from DVLA, the price included the fee for assigning to a vehicle. I assigned it to my car (and kept the original plates). When I sold that car, I paid to put my cherished number on retention (which keeps my right to it because if I sold the car with it on, the number would belong to the new owner of the car). When I put it on retention, DVLA assigned the original number back to the car, so I put the old plates back on.

I've currently put the cherished number back on retention again (for one year) so that I could sell my most recent car and again the old number got assigned back and I dug the old plates out of the garage to put them on. I will put the cherisehd number on my A1 after Audi replace my car early next year (my A1 was mis-built and doesn't match my order). I also quite fancied having the latest plate for a while. To put it on retention you pay a retention fee and an assignment fee - this is where I get vague, but I think it was £125 for these fees combined. You will pay this every time you move the plates from car to car.

If the number is held on retention, you must renew this when it expires (after 1 year or 2 years according to what you paid for) - otherwise you lose the right to the number.

You have to be aware that once you have assigned the number to a vehicle, the number belongs to the registered owner of the vehicle, so if you buy a number (say) for a spouse's car, once you have assigned it to their car, it is theirs.

If you buy a cherished number, you can fill out the form and hand it to your dealer so that they can register your new car with your cherished number for you. However, I don't do that. You will eventually need 2 sets of plates anyway, so I just got my dealership to supply my car with the regular number on and have asked them to make up my cherished plates as a freebie - to put on later.

I think that is roughly it. You buy the number and you pay to take it off and put it on another car - every time!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have bought one for my A1 that will be getting in March, the price on the dvla website includes the registration fee so that is all you would need to pay.
The retention fee im sure is the price you pay to take it off a car and change it to a second car or to put it back on to paperwork

·
Registered
142 Posts
i have one on retention(on paper) for the last few years, have to send them £20 or £25 every 12 months to keep the cherished no..it will be going on my next car..
swapping while u have another on the car is a headache with paperwork as you need to have the reg on your tax disc and insurance cert,and get your plates at more a less the same time.. but can be done...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers for the help guys another thing im a little concerned about is the rear number plate, its stuck on with sticky pads where would i get some of these from the front is drilled so not a problem, i got a good mate who can make the plates up but unsure if he will have these sticky pads and the last thing i want is for it to fall off, do you think its worth an ask of my dealer to make the plates or at least another audi surround with the sticky pads on for the rear

cheers

·
Registered
267 Posts
I know on the other models there are holes that are already threaded for plastic number plate bolts, take off the old number plate and have a look behind it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts