Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and good morning

I don't know if anyone else does this but i'm weird and find it cool.

As i don't see many A1's around i think that when i see one that its cool. Only a feeling many years ago when i owned a classic mini. So just like what i did then, i beep and waved at a Grey A1 on m62 going over tops towards leeds. I did startle him and i don't think he knew what was going on.

This is something i just cant help doing. Does anyone else do this and if someone beeps and waves they must beep and wave back!

Cheers

·
Registered
77 Posts
chrisanda1 said:
Hi and good morning

I don't know if anyone else does this but i'm weird and find it cool.

As i don't see many A1's around i think that when i see one that its cool. Only a feeling many years ago when i owned a classic mini. So just like what i did then, i beep and waved at a Grey A1 on m62 going over tops towards leeds. I did startle him and i don't think he knew what was going on.

This is something i just cant help doing. Does anyone else do this and if someone beeps and waves they must beep and wave back!

Cheers
Depends who's driving the other one TBH ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi chrisanda1, Don't know if that is a good idea, think that most people would not respond to it, There was a thread on the TT Forum about this but hay ho if you think it works go for it. :? If someone peep or flash me don't know if i would.
Reg

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
I'd feel uncomfortable with someone flashing or beeping at me! Makes me think I did something wrong!

Just wave! Safe and legal :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not a good idea to go around flashing your lights like that. It's a signal that can be very easily misinterpreted by others and could lead to an accident. What if another driver is waiting to emerge from a side road and thinks you are flashing to let them go? You may not have even noticed them while you're busy admiring another A1.

Flashing of headlights is one of the most commonly misused signals. People use it all the time to say thank you, to say "I'm letting you out", or just to get someone's attention so they can say hi. These uses of the signal are all wrong and all can potentially lead to an accident.

Same goes for misuse of the horn. It can be misleading, and it can also scare the bejeezus out of people, so you should only use it if you really have a good reason.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
beev said:
Flashing of headlights is one of the most commonly misused signals
beev said:
What if another driver is waiting to emerge from a side road and thinks you are flashing to let them go
Agreed, highway code says "only flash to let other road users know you are there" so a double whammy............... Mr sideroad man stay where you are ;) and hello fellow A1 driver :D

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
beev said:
Not a good idea to go around flashing your lights like that. It's a signal that can be very easily misinterpreted by others and could lead to an accident. What if another driver is waiting to emerge from a side road and thinks you are flashing to let them go? You may not have even noticed them while you're busy admiring another A1.

Flashing of headlights is one of the most commonly misused signals. People use it all the time to say thank you, to say "I'm letting you out", or just to get someone's attention so they can say hi. These uses of the signal are all wrong and all can potentially lead to an accident.

Same goes for misuse of the horn. It can be misleading, and it can also scare the bejeezus out of people, so you should only use it if you really have a good reason.
BORE ME LATER!

If another A1 flashes me i'd have a big  on my face...be socialble people come on.

You shouldnt be driving if you crash because someone flashes you!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
BEEV be careful of them flashing lights at a pelican crossing. Might get distracted lol 

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Bartlett88 said:
You shouldnt be driving if you crash because someone flashes you!
test this theory with a police car then :p I bet you won't get far lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
It might be boring, but it's my job to try to make sure people understand this stuff and, hopefully, to help prevent the accidents that can result.

Have you ever considered taking lessons in advanced driving? I would recommend the Institute of Advanced Motorists to anyone who's interested in brushing up their driving skills. The cost is negligible, but the benefits are many. Not only will you become a safer driver, you'll also enjoy your driving a lot more after doing an advanced course.

Institute of Advanced Motorists:
http://www.iam.org.uk/

·
Registered
305 Posts
beev said:
It might be boring, but it's my job to try to make sure people understand this stuff and, hopefully, to help prevent the accidents that can result.

Have you ever considered taking lessons in advanced driving? I would recommend the Institute of Advanced Motorists to anyone who's interested in brushing up their driving skills. The cost is negligible, but the benefits are many. Not only will you become a safer driver, you'll also enjoy your driving a lot more after doing an advanced course.

Institute of Advanced Motorists:
http://www.iam.org.uk/
i swear you can only do this within your first 2 years of driving.

i know i flash my lights far to often, i let people out with them, say thank you with them, tell people hogging a lane to jog on with them etc etc but i have no intent on stopping to do so... everyone does it now, the highway code needs updating.

one of my biggest issues is the speed limit at 70?!?!?! WHY WHY WHY?

i travel a lot in the early hours of the morning when its just me and the trucks... why cant i sit doing a 100???

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Are u kidding me! Ur job! Obviously you dont do it very well because if you are likely to crash from a set of lights being flashed you must be backwards. Just drive your car and if someone hits u its there fault simples! Plus good claim up haha how else do you say hello, thank you or let people out? Two words...dream world!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bartlett88 said:
Are u kidding me! Ur job! Obviously you dont do it very well because if you are likely to crash from a set of lights being flashed you must be backwards.
Thanks for the personal slur.

Bartlett88 said:
how else do you say hello, thank you or let people out? Two words...dream world!
My first car was a VW camper van. Us camper van owners used to wave and flash lights at each other, sometimes toot the horn. That was before I trained to be a driving instructor and and learned about the dangers of such things. If you want to say hello to someone, thank someone, or acknowledge someone's attractive-looking car, the best thing to do is just give a simple wave with your hand. That's if you're not steering at the time, of course.

·
Registered
305 Posts
i know your a driving instructor, but maybe your taking it a little far... my dad is a driving instructor and has been all his life, but hes never "told me off" or corrected me when i flash another car out...

for example your doing 100 on the outside lane of the M1, theres a car in the middle lane doing 90 and hes fast appoaching a truck in the middle lane doing 55/60... a GOOD driver will hold back and let the car out so he doesnt have to brake like a madman, how else are you gonna let him out without flashing??? start waving your hands?? not at a 100mph your not...

i agree with what your saying beev but only because i know its "technically true", but as barlett said... this is in a dream world... everyone is custom to flashing there lights for other reasons that to let people know your there... as i said before, the highway code NEEDS changing, not our driving styles.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Surely waving would mean you lose control over the vehicle by your reckoning, whilst also distracting the other driver?

The crazy world of health and safety ruining everything as usual!

·
Registered
67 Posts
In the classic car world, a simple wave will suffice when another classic passes you in the opposite direction. Same in the Land Rover world, and i am sure in most of the world where people with the same interests pass.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to those who support it, to those who dont what a bunch of boring buggers you are!!! Jesus, MG just released the car for you lot, quick trade in and be a "boring" motorist!

its a little bit of recognition for the spunky A1, no harm done. If you're silly enough not to see a motorist wanting to pull out and do flash your lights and wave at another A1, well i think we can all say you deserve to crash! ahahahaha

Come on, we're not all old before our time! Plus i thought there was an age limit for these cars!!! ahhahahaaa

oh i've been driving 10 years now, six of them as IAM! so there

·
Registered
12 Posts
I say we flash our lights and swerve onto the side of the road hopefully they''ll do the same and we can pass on each others left hand side.
Anyone else up for it?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Ho-Hum said:
I say we flash our lights and swerve onto the side of the road hopefully they''ll do the same and we can pass on each others left hand side.
Anyone else up for it?
I second this! Maybe also go on two-wheels just to make sure they notice?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts