Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an advert for alloy gators,ive never heard of these before,they look like a plastic trim which fits between the tyre and the alloy.
has anyone tried these in the past?
are they worth investing in to protect your alloys ?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Have not tried them but my concern with these is that dirt and water will get under the gator and could damage the finish on the wheel rim. I suspect that it may try to solve one problem but create another. Also, not sure they are going to look other than a plastic trim round the wheel which is probably not a good look.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just watched a video,(sorry cant get it posted on here for some reason) it shows that you have to deflate all the air from your tyre,then knock the plastic between the alloy and tyre,
my concern would be a good seal and loss of tyre pressure..i think your right it could cause other problems.
still interested if anyones tried them though.
maybe just a gimmick,

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Cheap solution - DONT DING YOUR WHEELS!

On all the cars Ive owned, Ive yet to take a chunk out of an alloy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Which in my case translates to don't let your partner drive the car.....

New car, one day old.

Me: "Why don't you drive the car and see how you get on with it."
Wife "Ok, cool"
Drive along, all goes fine.
Me "Shall we park up here"
Wife "Ok"

CRUNCH........

Me "Oy"
Wife "Don't blame me"

Result - One scuffed alloy. Oh well the car looked new for at least one day .....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Did you really just say 'Oy' :lol:

I agree though there's nothing worse than the feeling when you first scuff an alloy.

I remember seeing a brand new Merc once and as the driver went round a corner he rubbed the wheel all along the kerb - I winced for him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts